Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the planned response to a nuke on US soil?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What is the planned response to a nuke on US soil?

Old 08-10-04, 08:23 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Just north of Atlanta
Posts: 5,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the planned response to a nuke on US soil?

What would be the response from this administration if a suitcase nuke exploded somewhere, say Vegas or NY? I'm sure they've thought of this scenario and must have some type of retaliation response written out, what would it be? Nuke the "Axis of Evil"? Wipe out the whole middle east? Try to resolve our differences through diplomacy?

If Kerry wins the presidency, would his response be any different?
Old 08-10-04, 08:28 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The answer isn't as remotely easy as it was during the Cold War. I'm sure they have multiple responses to all forms of attacks and I really couldn't guess what they all might be.
Old 08-10-04, 08:51 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,008
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully they would quit pussyfootin around and start making the middleeast glow in the dark. Hand 'em over or else.

Kerry would do the same thing but he would protest himself later.
Old 08-10-04, 08:56 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
AGuyNamedMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Posts: 15,275
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
contains profanity
Old 08-10-04, 09:56 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,603
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We wouldn't respond with nukes. 9/11 happened and Saudi Arabia is still around.

What would be the most likey scenario, is that we would be "tough on terrorists" all around the world, many raids and suspected hide-outs bombed, a stepped-up manhunt for the leaders responsible, and basically just a bunch of desperate actions by US administrations and departments--an Osama Scenario, only magnified a little more (kicking a few rocks in various countries, killing a few bad guys, and whatever else).

What would be more interesting, is what would happen here at home, and how ordinary people would react.
Old 08-10-04, 09:59 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,178
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vegas? Do they have to take out Vegas for crying out loud? How about Philly instead?
Old 08-10-04, 10:06 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Vegas? Do they have to take out Vegas for crying out loud? How about Philly instead?
Old 08-10-04, 10:06 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defcon 3! I think...
Old 08-10-04, 10:55 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,426
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuck and roll?
Old 08-10-04, 11:23 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Just north of Atlanta
Posts: 5,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
We wouldn't respond with nukes. 9/11 happened and Saudi Arabia is still around.

What would be the most likey scenario, is that we would be "tough on terrorists" all around the world, many raids and suspected hide-outs bombed, a stepped-up manhunt for the leaders responsible, and basically just a bunch of desperate actions by US administrations and departments--an Osama Scenario, only magnified a little more (kicking a few rocks in various countries, killing a few bad guys, and whatever else).

What would be more interesting, is what would happen here at home, and how ordinary people would react.
Comparing 3,000 dead to 3,000,000, I think the response would be stepped-up a bit more than that. Once the nukes start poppin' it becomes a survival game.
Old 08-10-04, 11:26 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question. Drop the bomb on every country that has had a terrorist involved in something since 9/11.

So....Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Palestine, Egypt, etc.

Last edited by kvrdave; 08-10-04 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 01:28 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Quake1028's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Hurricanes Season Ticket Holder
Posts: 26,584
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Polizei
We wouldn't respond with nukes. 9/11 happened and Saudi Arabia is still around.

What would be the most likey scenario, is that we would be "tough on terrorists" all around the world, many raids and suspected hide-outs bombed, a stepped-up manhunt for the leaders responsible, and basically just a bunch of desperate actions by US administrations and departments--an Osama Scenario, only magnified a little more (kicking a few rocks in various countries, killing a few bad guys, and whatever else).

What would be more interesting, is what would happen here at home, and how ordinary people would react.
Yeah, it would be exactly like that .
Old 08-10-04, 01:31 PM
  #13  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
Drop the bomb on every country that has had a terrorist involved in something since 9/11.
I'm not sure nuking England would be a prudent measure.
Old 08-10-04, 01:32 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA
Posts: 2,536
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kvrdave
Good question. Drop the bomb on every country that has had a terrorist involved in something since 9/11.

So....Syria, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Palestine, Egypt, etc.
...Oregon.

Old 08-10-04, 01:41 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry. England and Oregon are gone. I was going to admit a problem with my plan when I saw that England was mentioned....but then saw Oregon and thought of the greater good.
Old 08-10-04, 01:43 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR, USA
Posts: 2,536
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So - we're "taking one for the team", then?

Old 08-10-04, 01:45 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are. I'm north of the Columbia.
Old 08-10-04, 01:49 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 6,981
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We should nuke Oregon as a preemptive strike. and for fun.
Old 08-10-04, 01:51 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tar Heel for life!
Posts: 1,052
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why stop at only nuking "every country that has had a terrorist involved in something since 9/11"?

let's just nuke every EVERYONE...

let's nuke africa for being dirt poor...

let's nuke every middle eastern country, cause we all know that each and every muslim is a terrorist...

let's nuke europe because they're "progressive"...

let's nuke canada, well, cause they're wanna-be americans...

let's not stop, we're just getting started...

let's nuke all of east asia, cause north vietnam is in the general vicinity...

let's then nuke south america, because we all know our "drug problem" is their fault...but alas, we'll miss their coffee...

then to top it all off, let's nuke australia, cause after all, it's just a prison colony anyway for "undesirable" brits...

some of you really scare me.
Old 08-10-04, 01:53 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mopower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Janitor's closet in Kinnick Stadium
Posts: 15,726
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slateef
why stop at only nuking "every country that has had a terrorist involved in something since 9/11"?

let's just nuke every EVERYONE...

let's nuke africa for being dirt poor...

let's nuke every middle eastern country, cause we all know that each and every muslim is a terrorist...

let's nuke europe because they're "progressive"...

let's nuke canada, well, cause they're wanna-be americans...

let's not stop, we're just getting started...

let's nuke all of east asia, cause north vietnam is in the general vicinity...

let's then nuke south america, because we all know our "drug problem" is their fault...but alas, we'll miss their coffee...

then to top it all off, let's nuke australia, cause after all, it's just a prison colony anyway for "undesirable" brits...

some of you really scare me.
Now your starting to get it.
Old 08-10-04, 01:56 PM
  #21  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slateef
some of you really scare me.
We scare you? You're the one proposing we nuke everybody.
Old 08-10-04, 02:01 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tar Heel for life!
Posts: 1,052
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
groucho, i was being facetious...

geez, your sarcasm-detector must be outta whack.
Old 08-10-04, 02:03 PM
  #23  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,865
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to be sarastic, you need to use smilies. Otherwise people might take you seriously.
Old 08-10-04, 02:04 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tar Heel for life!
Posts: 1,052
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotcha
Old 08-10-04, 02:09 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chew's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: South of Titletown
Posts: 18,628
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slateef
groucho, i was being facetious...

geez, your sarcasm-detector must be outta whack.
Might want to check on one of your own detectors if you believe everybody is being serious in this thread.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.