Reload this Page >

whats this? (medical question)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-10-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok.. for probably 5-6 years, I use to have real bad stomach problems.. doctors had diagnosed as IBS. a couple years ago, i started a specific diet (not mentioning which one, because i dont want this thread going that way).. and That cleared up my stomach problems almost 100%. I could eat whatever i wanted, was completely regular, etc... The only problem is that occassionally, I get a sore area in my stomach (or whatever this is).. About 3-4 inches down from my bellybutton and 3-4 inches to the left...
It might be worth mentioning.. 2-3 years ago.. I also had a couple hernia's removed in my groin area.
Im pretty sure this pain has been there the entire time (last 7 or 8 years).. but like i said, its only occassional, and its more of an annoyance than any real pain.
Ive told the doctors a couple different times.. and they never seemed all that concerned about it. Never even did any tests, past making me lay back and pressing with their fingers. At first they wanted to blame it on the hernias, then on the IBS.. but both of those are gone.. and it still bothers me from time to time..

So what is there in that part of your body?
Old 08-10-04, 07:39 AM
Suspended

That's where your colon is. Have you been screened for colon cancer?
Old 08-10-04, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk God

no, the doctor always says Im too young to worry about it
Old 08-10-04, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by twikoff
no, the doctor always says Im too young to worry about it
BS they are just playing the averages when they make statements like that. If you can't convience them to do it, and you can afford it, go out and pay for the procedure yourself (esp if there is a history of it in the family). If nothing else you'll have a baseline record for comparison later when your dr finally does think you should start worrying about it.
Old 08-10-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have serious concerns about having colon cancer or anything else, tell them that you WILL get tested. That law of averages they use can end up killing you if there is a problem.

I had an issue similar to that awhile back. I was having severe stomach/chest pain and after talking to my grandma, she said I was describing exactly what it was like when she had gall stones. So I went to the doctor and told him. He said I was only 22, I didn't have gall stones because the majority of people who get them are in their 40's. Well, after a trip to the emergency room a few days later, he realized he was wrong when he was called in for emergency surgery.
Old 08-10-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk God

corrie is 25 and just had gall stones removed last month
Old 08-10-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Friend of mine used to get really sick about once or twice a year, vomiting almost constantly for 2 to 3 days. Last year he got his appendix removed and hasn't experienced a single episode since.
Old 08-10-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk God

i dont think thats my issue.. and i think someone mentioned the appendix is on the right side?

to be fair to my doctor.. he has mentioned a colonoscopy before.. but because of the discomfort it would cause and his feelings that I wasnt at risk.. he suggested against it until we tried other methods.. we went through several different types of medication that I think helped.. but none of them ever *fixed* the problem 100%.. and I didnt continue to seek help, because after the diet fixed up all my other problems.. it just seemed like a very occassional minor inconvenience.. never been an issue with abnormal bleeding or anything along those lines.. Only reason I bring it up now.. is that it was bothering me lastnight and this morning a little bit more than normal (by normal, i mean whenever it flairs up).. although, i think it could have been been incited back by the fact I was out yesterday with a nasty stomach bug (sick stomach, headache, lightheaded, etc..).
Old 08-10-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd defintely get the screening.

Girls at age 6 get knee cancer, yet the risk is very remote.

You never know...
Old 08-10-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

knee cancer?
Old 08-10-04, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

knee cancer?
Exactly...so rare you don't really hear about it. The argument that you are too young is just pure BS, get it screened.

Catch it early enough, and you can make it.
If not, you DIE!
Old 08-10-04, 11:30 AM

to be fair to my doctor.. he has mentioned a colonoscopy before.. but because of the discomfort it would cause and his feelings that I wasnt at risk.. he suggested against it until we tried other methods..
As someone who had a colonoscopy, properly performed the discomfort is extremely minimal. The experience was actually kinda cool in a detached, drug-induced haze sort of way. I have fleeting memories of descending down a cave. The rest of the day consisted of fading in and out of watching movies and asking my wife the same question about a dozen times.

The worst part is the prep. Have a TV where you can see it from the toilet.
Old 08-10-04, 11:30 AM

First, change doctors! Ask friends who they see and if they are happy. Then have it checked out. Best of luck to you. If you are not getting any conclusive answers, you may want to do a body scan (though these are quite expensive) or see a naturopathic doctor for alternative ideas.
Old 08-10-04, 11:44 AM

twitoff,

Could it be scar tissue? I know someone who had hernia operation and it took him 5 years and 11 doctors and 3 operations to finally figure out that it was scare tissue around his right vasdeferences that gave him pain for 5 years. I'm not saying that's where your scare tissues are but look into it.
Old 08-10-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

IBS

The only way to mention the affliction without having everyone laugh. Not because it is a funny affliction, but because I am as mature as a 6th grader.
Old 08-10-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard of a intestinal problem called Crone's disease (sp?) being mistaken for IBS. I dont know, though, as they are both like 100x more prevalent in women than in men.
Old 08-10-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by uli2000
I heard of a intestinal problem called Crone's disease (sp?) being mistaken for IBS. I dont know, though, as they are both like 100x more prevalent in women than in men.
I have 2 male friends with Chrone's disease. I would look into that for sure, and also YES get your colon checked no matter what.
Old 08-10-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Luc TC
twitoff,

Could it be scar tissue? I know someone who had hernia operation and it took him 5 years and 11 doctors and 3 operations to finally figure out that it was scare tissue around his right vasdeferences that gave him pain for 5 years. I'm not saying that's where your scare tissues are but look into it.
possible.. although I think the problem existing before the hernia surgery.. and possibly even before i had the hernias.. but its hard to say, because it just seemed like part of my other stomach *problems* at the time.
Old 08-10-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by kvrdave
IBS

The only way to mention the affliction without having everyone laugh. Not because it is a funny affliction, but because I am as mature as a 6th grader.
not to mention what i considered a BS answer
it almost seemed like the easy way out
regardless.. some lifestyle diet changes fixed that up

i would assume it was probably some type of food alergy.. and that my doctor just didnt look deep enough to find that..

although, how do you find food alergies?
Old 08-10-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Pistol Pete
As someone who had a colonoscopy.........

......The experience was actually kinda cool
Old 08-10-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

and that my doctor just didnt look deep enough to find that..
Old 08-10-04, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

23 minutes before anyone made a joke about that response

you guys are slipping!
Old 08-10-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I was gone
Old 08-10-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have it checked out, and the procedure does not start with the Dr putting both of his hands on your shoulder beofre and during the exam.
Old 08-10-04, 03:16 PM
Suspended

"mooooon riiiiiver"