Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Body Odor

Old 08-09-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Odor

Ok, here's the situation:

One of the employees were I work is employed as a driver and has what some might call an "offensive" odor. I'm not talking mild BO either, It's pretty foul (it's on par with the smell of the onions Wendy's uses on their burgers).
As a result, none of the mechanics want to go near his truck when it comes time to fuel and check it. How should I handle this? Is their a polite way of telling him that he needs to seriously consider the use of deodorant?
Old 08-09-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Body Odor

Originally posted by Obey The D
Ok, here's the situation:

One of the employees were I work is employed as a driver and has what some might call an "offensive" odor. I'm not talking mild BO either, It's pretty foul (it's on par with the smell of the onions Wendy's uses on their burgers).
As a result, none of the mechanics want to go near his truck when it comes time to fuel and check it. How should I handle this? Is their a polite way of telling him that he needs to seriously consider the use of deodorant?
You could anonymously gift wrap (or not gift wrap) a stick of deodorant and put it on the seat of his truck.

That's what I would do!

Hell! I'll do it right now! Where's his truck???

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-09-04 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When he comes in to pick up his truck start spraying the inside of the cab with soap and water. Then when he asks you what you are doing just say "I'm cleaning out the truck because you smell like shit."
Old 08-09-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mopower
When he comes in to pick up his truck start spraying the inside of the cab with soap and water. Then when he asks you what you are doing just say "I'm cleaning out the truck because you smell like shit."

I almost just fell on the floor from laughing so hard! I don't know what the rules are for having the word shit in your sig line, but if it's ok I found a winner.
Old 08-09-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-09-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a guy in our office who used to be this way. You couldn't go within a couple feet of him without holding your nose. I think somebody got to him though and it's the complete opposite. Now you can't go within a couple feet of him without being overpowered by cologne. The guy just can't get the right balance.
Old 08-09-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of which...

Man, I used to never stink... ever. Then every day after work, I'd notice I reeked. I was like, wtf? I had been using the same deoderant I had for the past ten years, the same amount, but it just wasn't workin' anymore. I tried using more of it, but that made no difference.

Then I started working out again. I walk/jog for about 45 minutes to an hour every other day, and I don't stink anymore, at all.

Tell me how that works.

Or maybe I just got a defective, reject stick of deoderant that still made it onto the store shelf that month.
Old 08-09-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have some ppl like this at the gym I go to. I know it's the gym and you aren't supposed to smell like roses but c'mon, I'd rather smell crap than some of those ppl.

I think it should be a rule that gyms should keep bottles of spray deodorant for ppl like that.
Old 08-09-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read an article that said you should rotate your brand of deodorant everytime you buy a new stick. Your body gets used to the same "formula" otherwise. Anybody think that's true or??
Old 08-09-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Chew
I read an article that said you should rotate your brand of deodorant everytime you buy a new stick. Your body gets used to the same "formula" otherwise. Anybody think that's true or??
I would say it all depends on the person. I've been using right guard clear gel for years and I never have a problem.

roses \0/ roses
Old 08-09-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
Like I said, I haven't had any trouble using the same brand (Gillette gel) for years. I think I just got a bad stick that one time.

And like Obey says, it may also depend on the person.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 08-09-04 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

when i went study abroad in Baja, there was this dude who didnt take a shower on a daily basis.

keep in mind this was a marine bio class and we were in the water day after day.

on the last day before the 19hr bus ride home, i was the one to tell the dude to take a shower.

you should do the same. or get a friend or someone who knows him better than you guys to take a shower.

haha... or you can leave a note(s) saying he needs to shower.
Old 08-09-04, 02:20 PM

Does the company have any policy about drug use, random drug testing, etc? If so then tell him that the powers that be have implemented a clause to their policy that requires all drivers to be tested for body odor on a daily basis.
Old 08-09-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mole177
when i went study abroad in Baja, there was this dude who didnt take a shower on a daily basis.

keep in mind this was a marine bio class and we were in the water day after day.
that would help explain this:

Old 08-09-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Had a gal here at the office who was stinky.......

A couple of people complained to the Manager, and later that week the Manager set up a meeting with the stinky chick and herself and set things straight.

No problems after that......although it woulda sucked to have to be the Manager in that situation.
Old 08-09-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

maybe you should call your local radio dj and explain your problem and have the dj call your coworker saying that nobody at work wanted to tell him directly.
kevin and bean on kroq radio here in los angeles does a similar service. it's pretty funny when they're calling to "break the news" live on the air.
Old 08-09-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I for one have found a way of using humor in my many areas of my life, and can tell people almost anything buy using it!

For example:

"What? Is ONION the only scent of deodorant they use in the "Old Country?"

-or-

"UMMM...UMMM!!! Smells like someone had SKUNK for dinner last night!"

&

You See? There ARE fun ways to do pretty much anything!

"You've got to find the fun, and then, SNAP! The job's a game!"

-Mary Poppins

Thank You, Mary!

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-09-04 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pull him aside, tell him, and be done with it.

I had this problem when I worked in retail. One of my cashiers use to work at a barn, then come to work. I think (in all seriousness) bathing was a once or twice a week occurance.

I guess my talk helped, but I left shortly there after to go to college, so I'm not sure how it turned out.

-pedagogue
Old 08-09-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pedagogue
I guess my talk helped, but I left shortly there after to go to college, so I'm not sure how it turned out. -pedagogue

Oh, Thanks a lot, peddy.

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 08-09-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had a guy at work who wouldn't take a bath/shower or wash his clothes.
We complain to the boss and he told the guy to clean up.
This went on for 3-4 years.
The guy didn't clean himself and he was fired.
Old 08-12-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Body Odor

Originally posted by Obey The D
One of the employees were I work is employed as a driver and has what some might call an "offensive" odor.

Poor guy:

Old 08-12-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
^ this is pretty much what I would say.

I'd probably just say "jesus, you stink like hell... don't you ever shower or use deodorant?" the first time I met him. We wouldn't be best pals after that, but why would I want to hang out with some smelly ass anyway?