Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

1 800 505 BABY

Old 08-08-04, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 800 505 BABY

i was just curious if anyone else has heard of this or ever uses it?

basically it's an 800 number you can call to report a child or children not properly restrained in a safety seat within a vehicle.

i have it on speed dial in my cell phone and unfortunately use it too often. in fact it's really the only time i use my cell phone while driving.

i've done a bit of research and come up empty on the action taken once the report is made. i believe once you report the licence plate, state of registration, make and model of the vehicle and general area, a letter is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle stating that someone reported the issue and was concerned for the child's safety along with information on how to properly restrain a child, how to get restraining devices if they are financially unable to afford them or are unaware of the laws.

i am also under the impression that if a second or third offense is reported, the police and/or CPS might get involved.

again i'm not sure on all the details, as this number has been passed around my family for many, many years along with everyone's often differing accounts of what actions are taken.

i was just wondering if this is common knowledge or not, as i've only known a few people outside of my immediate family who were aware of it.

thanks !
Old 08-08-04, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I'd hate to see such a service abused.
Old 08-08-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 1 800 505 BABY

Originally posted by dyevin
...i use my cell phone while driving.
I hope those people buckle up their kids in case you wham into them while on your cell phone.
Old 08-08-04, 10:17 PM

I hope those people buckle up their kids in case you wham into them while on your cell phone.
i guess i should clarify that i don't actually conduct the call while driving, i wait until i'm at a stoplight or am in some other non moving situation... i guess it's habit to say "while i'm driving" when i'm referring to being in my vehicle.
Old 08-09-04, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, the police can't do anything unless they catch them in the act.
Old 08-09-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can tell you, with absolute certainty, that the police do not receive, nor do they act upon, these reports...

I highly doubt CPS gets involved, either... they have their hands full with serious, blatant cases...
Old 08-09-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably just some dude who made up this 1 800 # to know who has little babies so he can touch them improperly...you know? with sticks and bamboo...geez people, get outta the gutter. (or insert Michael Jackson joke here)