Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do men go to get their ears pierced?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-04, 05:43 PM
FM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking about getting an earring, but wasn't sure if guys mostly go to tattoo parlors to get this done, or if they just go to one of the girly places in the mall.

Suggestions? Tips?
Old 08-08-04, 06:00 PM

Go to a piercing studio.

Mall places use guns, those are bad for ears. Needles are much safer and heal better. Guns can't really be cleaned, so its a health risk. Needles are single use (assuming its a legit shop)

Canal Winchester...thats near Columbus right? Go to Piercology. I live in Dayton and make the hour drive there to get my work done
Old 08-08-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ice cubes and a needle(pin)is all youll need...

heat the pin,cool the ear,take a shot and be done with it!
Old 08-08-04, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by monkey42 I live in Dayton and make the hour drive there to get my work done
Off topic....

Hello fellow Dayton person, I live there as well. Just a bit south of the Dayton Mall, actually...
Old 08-08-04, 07:09 PM
FM

Cool, thanks! I'm in Connecticut right now, but I'll actually be going home for the first time in two months this Friday. I'll definitely check them out.

Originally posted by monkey42
Go to a piercing studio.

Mall places use guns, those are bad for ears. Needles are much safer and heal better. Guns can't really be cleaned, so its a health risk. Needles are single use (assuming its a legit shop)

Canal Winchester...thats near Columbus right? Go to Piercology. I live in Dayton and make the hour drive there to get my work done
Old 08-08-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got mine done at Claires back in 92.
Old 08-08-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buy a piercing stud that they use when they do your ears, they’re cheap. Go home, drop the stud into some iodine, take an apple and cut it in half. Grab the half apple and place it behind the lobe, take the stud and shove it through where you want it. All done.

I did this 17 years ago, and all is fine. In fact this method was told to me by a woman that works at one of those piercing places that take your money.
Old 08-08-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I had mine done at a place at the mall about 10 years ago. You know those places: "Free piercing with a purchase". They used a gun, it was quick and painless. I never had any problems but I'm pretty much infection-proof

If I was getting other body parts pierced, I'd probably go to a piercing studio. Of course, at the mall you have a hot woman to chat with
Old 08-08-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I got mine done at Claires back in 92.
Hey, me too!

I had my lobes done there in '92, and eventually got both of the cartilage ones in my right ear done there in the mid-nineties.
Old 08-08-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Anoter vote for the needle, fire, and ice.
Old 08-08-04, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

are you a pirate?
Old 08-08-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go to a piercing studio.

I agree

Guns are also bad because they just push the tissue aside while a piercing needle is hollow to remove the extra skin (which is why they heal better).
Old 08-08-04, 07:33 PM

I'm sure one of the other patrons at whatever gay bar you frequent can tell you.
Old 08-08-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had mine done at one of the places in the mall, with a gun. Never any infection or problem with them.
Old 08-08-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same store at which you catch teh gay.
Old 08-08-04, 07:58 PM

Article on needle vs. gun

That being said, when my lobes were pierced they were gunned, and they are fine, but I wasn't educated on the risks. I'd be more worried about hiv/hepatitis than a plain 'ole infection

and hello The Cow, I live right next to the Air Force Base. Good to see another Daytoner around here.
Old 08-08-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got my left done with a gun (also at Claire's) in 1986, i think added the right one in the early 90s sometime and did that at a tattoo shop while waiting for a friend getting a tattoo. don't really remember the gun, but the needle was almost painless and healed nicely and quickly - i would definately recommend that...it's also easier to take in and out on that side (i just have 12 guage stainless rings).....so go that route...just ask them if they have an autoclave and/or use sterile prepackaged needles.
Old 08-08-04, 08:57 PM
FM

Originally posted by Groucho
I'm sure one of the other patrons at whatever gay bar you frequent can tell you.

Wow, why didn't I think of that? Sometimes the answer is right in front of me!
Old 08-08-04, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got my ears pierced with a gun (2 holes in each ear) at one of those mall places. The holes get infected even when there's nothing in them. I do try to keep them clean and I've never had any problems with my other piercings which were done with a needle.

More than likely there won't be a problem with having it done with a gun, but if I had it to do over again I would get my ears pierced with a needle.
Old 08-08-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i got my lobes pierced, i heard you can get the upper, harder cartilage done though.
Old 08-08-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by costanza
i got my lobes pierced, i heard you can get the upper, harder cartilage done though.
Yeah. I have a friend who has a bar through the top of his ear.

Spoiler:
He's gay
Old 08-08-04, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.

and hello The Cow, I live right next to the Air Force Base. Good to see another Daytoner around here.
Daytoner! You can't be from Dayton originally or you'd know it's Daytonian. Born in Kettering, raised in Bellbrook been gone for years.
Old 08-09-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Both of my ears are pierced but they have closed up. I used to wear stuff back in the 90's but I stopped. I wore studs and I wore medium sized Gold hoops.
Old 08-09-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

I did mine at a regular shop back in 1987. Then realized that I wasn't a pirate, so I let it close.
Old 08-15-04, 11:16 AM
FM

Go to a piercing studio.

I went to Piercology, and it was great! I'm a little too straight laced, so the place was a little freakish to me, but I got over it. Everyone was very professional, nice, and patient. I'll recommend them to anyone I can.

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.