Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What are the chances that (airline advice)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I could get a refund for the difference of a flight. I booked one on America West back in May from PHX to Newark. I paid $276 after taxes and such. I looked today, and it's about $60 difference. If I called up the airline, would they refund me the difference?
Old 08-08-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the ticket you bought transferable/refundable? Because the answer to that question is probably the answer to your question.
Old 08-08-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by stevevt
Is the ticket you bought transferable/refundable? Because the answer to that question is probably the answer to your question.
I don't think so. I'd have to check. If I can't, it's bullshit. I may call and see what they'll do.
Old 08-08-04, 05:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Some places let you do this, and you'll have to pay around $100 refund fee, and if the difference is greater than that you'll come out ahead. It depends on what the refund/cancel fee is.
Old 08-08-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Some places let you do this, and you'll have to pay around $100 refund fee, and if the difference is greater than that you'll come out ahead. It depends on what the refund/cancel fee is.
It's not. It''s $60. This is what's wrong with the airline industry. In any other transaction like this, they'd refund the difference happily. Why does the airline industry have such a strangle hold on our balls?
Old 08-08-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
It's not. It''s $60. This is what's wrong with the airline industry. In any other transaction like this, they'd refund the difference happily. Why does the airline industry have such a strangle hold on our balls?
No idea. I'm not to happy that I had to spend $1380 to get a roundtrip ticket to Copenhagen.
Old 08-08-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do stores give refunds if you buy something a week before it goes on sale?
no
Old 08-08-04, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Location: Now in the Mojave desert...but still, thankfully, outside Los Angeles
Originally posted by mikehunt
no
Target, K-Mart, Fry's...pretty much any store with a return policy will give you the difference up to the end of the return period. Otherwise, just bring it back for a refund and then go buy a new one at the sale price.
Old 08-08-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

no
Where the hell do you shop?
Old 08-08-04, 05:55 PM

If its for the EXACT same fight (time, date
and number) I'd call america west and
see what they would do. If it was a
bigger carrier I'd say your out of luck but
the smaller ones may do it.
When is your flight?
If you talk to them and they say no but
the date of travel is coming up. It
may even be worth it to go to the airport
ticket office and see if they will give you
the differance in the form of a voucher.
Old 08-08-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

american and continental would give you a voucher for the difference.
Old 08-08-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I've never seen a place that will jsut give you the sale price for something bought before the sale
yeah you could return it if it's in the return period and rebuy it but not just walk up and say "you owe me a refund"

ok, I shouldn't say never as I don't ask at every store I go to what they'd do, but I've seen people try at some store and get turned down

Last edited by mikehunt; 08-08-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-09-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most airlines will give you a voucher for the difference to be used within one year. Problem is its not a simple phone call, you need to physically go to the airport or one of their ticket offices.
Old 08-09-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It has to do with the fact that there are limited seats on a plane and they price according to projected availability etc.

Any flight will change price on an almost weekly basis. If they had to simply offer the lowest price to every passenger, that wouldn't work out too well for the airlines, who are already in trouble.

If they had to go with fixed prices, I'm guessing you would see prices higher than the price you paid now and there would be more empty seats on planes.

The airline indistry is ina pretty tough pinch right now. I don't know exactly how they determine their prices but you can bet it's in a way to maximize passengers and profits. But there are some pretty good bargains out there if you are the type who can be patient and learn to work the system a little. It's definately different than any other service out there.

I know it can be frustrating when you buy a non-refundable ticket and the prices go down. Even if it's only 10 bucks it pisses me off. But that's the catch with non-refundable tickets and part of why they are better rates.

If you don't want the risk, you have to buy a refundable ticket which will eliminate most of your bargain pricing but will get you what people are talking about above at Fry's Best Buy, etc. Yes, you will most likely be able to get a refund or price reduction if you buy one of these.
Old 08-09-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no
Just about every store does. They don't advertise to "get your free money back", but many stores will do a price adjustment with just the receipt. many people try it without a receipt, which most likely won't work.

Did you buy the ticket direct from the airline? or from a travel agency like hotwire or orbitz? If you went through the airline, you should at least be able to get $60 credit for a future flight. if its through the agency, they you have to pay the $100 fee or whatever it is.
Old 08-09-04, 10:42 AM
Banned

I've never seen a place that will jsut give you the sale price for something bought before the sale
yeah you could return it if it's in the return period and rebuy it but not just walk up and say "you owe me a refund"

ok, I shouldn't say never as I don't ask at every store I go to what they'd do, but I've seen people try at some store and get turned down
Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Fry's... most any electronics store, in fact. Usually they have a 14 or 30 day guarantee, meaning that if the price drops or the item goes on sale up to so many days after you buy it, they refund you the difference. Some places will refund 110% of the difference. Usually all you do is walk in, hand them the receipt, point out the item, and they just look it up and do the refund. I've done this at Best Buy a number of times.

I wouldn't expect an airline to do that, I grant you, but the majority of retail stores do.
Old 08-09-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by grrrah
Did you buy the ticket direct from the airline? or from a travel agency like hotwire or orbitz? If you went through the airline, you should at least be able to get $60 credit for a future flight. if its through the agency, they you have to pay the $100 fee or whatever it is.
I think that even direct from the airline there is still a $50 or so charge to change tickets. But that may only be if you are changing flights, not sure.

In any case, the rates are variable and you can't always expect to get the lowest available price. Yes, you can do this with cd's and dvd's. But try it with your stock broker.
Old 08-09-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Otto
Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Fry's... most any electronics store
Exactly.

They do this to compete and so that consumers will have confidence in their purchase without having to look all over at other stores. This is why they have price matching guarantees as well and will sometimes even take coupons to other stores.

This is the airline industry though. That would make a fantastic promotion if an airline decided to offer it, but I guessing the ticket in question didn't have such a guarantee. These sorts of guarantees are a fairly new phenomenon of big retail businesses I think.

I wouldn't be suprised to see an airline try a promotion like this at some point if they could see the profit in it and not do irreparable damage to the industry.

They do take tickets for other flights on occasion in the event of long delays, strikes, airlines going under, etc. Which is fortunately pretty rare.
Old 08-09-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thor Simpson
I think that even direct from the airline there is still a $50 or so charge to change tickets. But that may only be if you are changing flights, not sure.
Could be with some airlines. I don't know america west that well.

usually when I change flights at the last minute, the ticket is about $50 more than what I paid, so I have to pay the difference. On southwest for example, if you buy the cheapest internet deal for $30, then right before the flight decide cancel, they will give you $30 credit for the next flight. If you bought a discounted ticket that was $10 less than a full-fare, you would only need to upgrade to the full fare.
Old 08-09-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I got around to calling America West today. They get high marks. I spoke to a CSR that was extremely friendly, and put through the difference with no problem at all. They gave me a voucher for the difference, which is sweet, so I can use it for a Vegas trip.

I guess it is true that AW has really worked hard in the customer service department to gain back some of the customers they've lost.
Old 08-09-04, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 08-09-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

son of a bitch does this mean we have to go to vegas again?

DAMN woe is me, another vegas trip.
Old 08-09-04, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Why didnt you just call them to begin with and ask instead of asking here?
Old 08-09-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by El Scorcho
son of a bitch does this mean we have to go to vegas again?

DAMN woe is me, another vegas trip.
who says I am inviting you.

Originally posted by MJKTool
Why didnt you just call them to begin with and ask instead of asking here?
Because maybe there would be advice on how to ask, or who to talk to specifically. Genius.