Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Idiot letter to the editor. Draft criminals

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-08-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...8/11007243.asp
Draft criminals for war, not law-abiding citizens

8/8/2004

Here is a very simple solution to the declining numbers in the military. Don't draft kids who are trying to live a decent life - go after the thugs and gang members who like to use guns.

If we emptied our prisons we would never have a shortage of military. All of these thugs that are in jails and prisons for violent crimes should be drafted with the understanding that they must stay for the duration of the war no matter how long it takes. They can shoot all they want there. If they survive the war they could earn time knocked off of their sentences. If they don't, that is the price to pay for being a criminal.

Do not come after my sons because you are running out of young men to send over there to lose their lives, especially when most do not believe in what we're fighting for.

Judith C. Dent

Buffalo
nevermind the fact that there is no draft and we have an all volunteer military right now. Does this moron not see how utterly bad an idea this is? giving gangbangers access to full automatic weapons, grenades, rocket launchers, etc. is asking for trouble. They'd organize a break out and really cause a shitstorm of crime
Old 08-08-04, 02:03 PM

Organize a breakout of where??? Iraq? Good Luck.

And somehow I don't think that some gang members are going to overtake the rest of the military. And just because you're in the military, you don't have access to rocket launchers, especially as a private or other 1st tier ranking.

I think it's a great idea. Enlist them all and make them serve. The boot camp alone may straighten them out. The prisons damn sure aren't doing anything.

Last edited by RicP; 08-08-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-08-04, 02:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do they have cable in the military? 'Cause if not, I'd rather be in prison.
Old 08-08-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
where are they going to train? in the war zone? probably not, they'd probably be trained stateside with everyone else.
I've seen pics of privates with LAWs and the newer replacement to the LAW strapped to their packs
Old 08-08-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah that'll turn out well.....
Old 08-08-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just like the movie xXx, I think this would be a stupid idea. It'd never work. Drafting regular people is bad enough, imagine forcing inmates to go risk their life for this. For some reason I don't think it'd go over well.

And which criminials get sent over? Petty theft? Misdemeanors? Embezzlement? Murder? I mean, the people who we'd be least concerned about being sent into battle are also the people who'd probably be least fit to be armed and dangerous also.

With the chance of death in a wartime scenario, that has to be taken into consideration whether that would be fair as part of a punishment.

Now, if they wanted to add a voluntary program, where prison inmates could join the military to knock time off...well...I suppose that could work. Though, they'd need to screen these guys carefully to make sure they're fit.
Old 08-08-04, 03:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
There's something to be said for giving certain offenders the choice of serving their sentence or joining the military (didn't judges used to do that for non-capital offenses?), what the letter-writer suggests is simply unworkable.
Old 08-08-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that sending people of that caliber into the armed services is asking for another Abu Ghraib

birrman54
Old 08-08-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Birrman54
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that sending people of that caliber into the armed services is asking for another Abu Ghraib
I was about to say the same thing.

This woman obviously didn't take more than two steps into her theory. Stopped after "drafting criminals means my sons won't be drafted" and "criminals in Iraq means less criminals in US jails." I'm sure she thinks she's incredibly clever for coming up with it.
Old 08-08-04, 07:55 PM

Umm, isn't military still offered in some places as an alternative to jail? if it isn't, it is only recently, cause this used to happen a lot. I think it was a great idea. I can't imagine a better rehabilitation.
Old 08-08-04, 08:00 PM

Either way, better lube up that cornhole cuz it's gonna get violated.
Old 08-08-04, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a good plot for movie. Get those Dirty people together, maybe a Dozen or so, and have them carry out a military op for possible reduction in sentence.
Old 08-08-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think the cow is hinting at something.. But I can't point my finger on it.. oh well.

What do we have to lose?
Old 08-08-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, this might work if the whole thing was dropping a bunch of people into an area and it's a free for all.

But oh, wait, the military requires teamwork, combat tactics, knowledge of politics...
Old 08-08-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's always "Operation Human Shield".
Old 08-09-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always thought that there should be a special unit in the armed services filled with terminally ill people (cancer, aids, whatver), and put them on very high-risk missions (not suicide missions, but missions where there is a high probability that they will be killed, hopefully after they accomplish their mission). Of course, they will get a substancial payment if they live, or their estates would get a substancial payment if they die (but did the task).

If you want, go ahead and send in a letter to the editor of the paper in the first post with this idea. But use your name, not mine.
Old 08-09-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Specific criminals would love a chance to spill some blood and get away with it. Obviously not ALL criminals would fit into this category. Basically, you would draft a few "diry dozen" deathrow inmates, and see how it went. Tell them if they get out of line, it's an instant bullet in the forehead. No trial. No jury. No kidding.
Old 08-09-04, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Can we send Martha Stewart?
Old 08-09-04, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I can make an exception.
Old 08-09-04, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For what it's worth, I remember reading a letter to the editor back in '94 or so (right at the 50th anniversary of D-Day) about a guy who knew that US soldiers who had been convicted of serious crimes in England and who were facing long sentences were given the option of being in the first wave on D-Day. If they lived, their crimes would be pardoned.

A large number of them supposedly took the offer, the writer of the letter was asking if anybody knew what happened to that group. I never saw a followup letter.

Last edited by Heat; 08-09-04 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-09-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if they picked Omaha Beach.
Old 08-09-04, 06:36 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Re: Idiot letter to the editor. Draft criminals

Originally posted by mikehunt
nevermind the fact that there is no draft and we have an all volunteer military right now. Does this moron not see how utterly bad an idea this is? giving gangbangers access to full automatic weapons, grenades, rocket launchers, etc. is asking for trouble. They'd organize a break out and really cause a shitstorm of crime
Hmmm. A really shallow editorial in the Buffalo News. There's a shock.
Old 08-09-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lets make a super army of criminals fighting for their freedom and illegal immigrants fighting for citizenship

Ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhh!!!
Old 08-09-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love how she thinks it's alright to send prisoners, but not HER boys...because THEY don't believe in it, it's alright. Who cares what the prisoners believe in.

Leaving aside the sensibilities of teaching criminals how to be soldiers, it would seem that drafting prisoners simply because "we can" is the modern version of slavery.
Old 08-09-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't worry, Michael Moore will use this letter to the editor as an example of how Bush is bad.