Reload this Page >

Al Jazeera shut down...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Al Jazeera shut down...

Old 08-08-04, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al Jazeera shut down...

I'm not sure what to make of this. I saw the film "Control Room", which I found to be much more enjoyable (and more of a documentary) than Fahrenheit 9/11. I do recommend folks see it if they can.

So are Al Jazeera really media that is biased towards "the bad guys", or are they truly neutral coverage, almost to the point of a "fly on the wall" type perspective?

I didn't see any thread here in Other (or in TV), so hopefully this is a repeat. In my search, I did see one person liken Al Jazeera to Fox in being "fair and balanced." Also, in searching I found that this isn't the first time this has happened (see Sudan).

Baghdad

Sudan
Old 08-08-04, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Al Jazeera is far from being fair and balanced. I've translated their Arabic website, and it's much different than the English one.

I guess you are correct in one sense, and that is, they are as "fair and balanced" as Fox News. In other words, both are not.

I'm not sure if this is a proper thing for Iraq to do by censoring Al Jazeera from broadcast for a month. By doing this, they play into the hands of the terrorists who claim the new Iraq government is censoring its people, instead of being a free country as promised.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-08-04 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-08-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
Al Jazeera is far from being fair and balanced. I've translated their Arabic website, and it's much different than the English one.
I'm not sure which was shown in the movie Control Room. Are they actively unbalanced...I mean, do they intend to stir up the shit so to say...it seemed to me in the movie that if they were guilty of anything it was being too much like a fly on the wall. Sort of like "here's the footage we have of a beheading; here's the latest tape from Osama Bin Laden" and then not condemning it in any capacity. Not saying "yay team" so not condoning...I hope I'm getting that question across ok....

I'm not sure if this is a proper thing for Iraq to do by censoring Al Jazeera from broadcast for a month. By doing this, they play into the hands of the terrorists who claim the new Iraq government is censoring its people, instead of being a free country as promised.
Indeed, this is truly what I was thinking when I said that doing this seemed rather "scary." It gives the illusion (whether real or imagined) that the Americans back and approve censorship of certain perspectives.
Old 08-08-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to a speeh for class a year ago that was one of the main guy's from Al Jazeera (I believe he was around when it started). He had some very interesting things to say and I never got the impression he was biased so much as passionate about making sure the network covered it all. He certainly didn't like how some countries were unwilling to show some footage as well. Obviously being from the area he had a unique perspective on the situations and how and why they needed the overage they did.

Originally posted by harpo787
...it seemed to me in the movie that if they were guilty of anything it was being too much like a fly on the wall. Sort of like "here's the footage we have of a beheading; here's the latest tape from Osama Bin Laden" and then not condemning it in any capacity.
From what I took away from the speech, I got the impression this is exactly their approach. They feel the news must be reported, and are certainly not going to hide any video or footage, but they also feel they are not there to offer commentary on right or wrong, letting their viewers choose.
Old 08-08-04, 12:36 PM
Banned

Al Jazeera = Al Qaeda cheerleader
Old 08-08-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by outer-edge
I went to a speeh for class a year ago that was one of the main guy's from Al Jazeera (I believe he was around when it started). He had some very interesting things to say and I never got the impression he was biased so much as passionate about making sure the network covered it all. He certainly didn't like how some countries were unwilling to show some footage as well. Obviously being from the area he had a unique perspective on the situations and how and why they needed the overage they did.

From what I took away from the speech, I got the impression this is exactly their approach. They feel the news must be reported, and are certainly not going to hide any video or footage, but they also feel they are not there to offer commentary on right or wrong, letting their viewers choose.

isn't thats how news is supposed to be. do we need experts to tell us what to think?
Old 08-08-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by nomaan
isn't thats how news is supposed to be. do we need experts to tell us what to think?
I don't mind a network that is fair, yet still wants us to win, personally.
Old 08-08-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's what I thought...but it seems that a lot of news isn't presented that way. I guess, however, that the most guilty of this style of news presentation are shows that are hosted by someone specifically (like Hannity & Colmes), as opposed to CBS nightly news w/ Dan Rather, where there's no room for editorializing...just read off the prompter.

I'd say our news is somewhere in between biased and completely unbiased. We don't seem to dictate specific views, but we don't go out of our way to present ALL the news (ie: unpleasant images like the beheadings etc.). I think if we did so, people might feel a bit more....enthusiastic?...about the war in Iraq. I dunno, maybe not.

My brain hurts.
Old 08-08-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but it seems that when news is like that, people either get bored, get mad since their views don't agree, accuse the news outlet of supporting someone just because they show the other side, etc.

As a journalist, I find that very disturbing.

Originally posted by kvrdave
I don't mind a network that is fair, yet still wants us to win, personally.
And where do we draw the line? If they cheer for America, heck, why not a candidate, or a corporation, or the "little guy" in a bad situation.

Fact is, news should be news, not slanted any way. I know this doesn't always work, and news gets biased by the writers, editors, etc. But part of the problem lies with readers/viewers, as well as journalists.

Too often your view is taken and when the news notices they get more viewers by saying "yay this" or "boo that", they start to slant. Once started, it can be a slippery slope to not fall down. Media being owned by large money-hungry corporations or single, passionate owners doesn't help either. Their influence can be just as bad, if not worse.

I think it is often hard for someone with an opposite view or outside interest to see unslanted news for what it is. If the news makes mention of what they don't like, it often seems they are slanted, when truth is, they may in fact be reporting the facts.

It's all a messy situation and honestly, not much will change I fear.

Last edited by outer-edge; 08-08-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-08-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Al Jazeera not slanted.

Oh wait, I'm not finished

Old 08-08-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by outer-edge
And where do we draw the line? If they cheer for America, heck, why not a candidate, or a corporation, or the "little guy" in a bad situation.
I would say that America gives them the freedom to report without bias, and for that they should be thankful enough to cheer for her.

Naturally you get into an area of interpretation of "what is best for America". However, if I didn't watch some Fox news, I would have thought nothing was going right in Iraq. I didn't hear about schools open, hospitals built, etc. etc. at other places (and I didn't hear about it too often at Fox, either).

I tend to think most news is just a profit center. Al-Jazeera included.

Yeah, but it seems that when news is like that, people either get bored, get mad since their views don't agree, accuse the news outlet of supporting someone just because they show the other side, etc.

As a journalist, I find that very disturbing.
Personally, I think this happens quite often because people are smart emough to realize that the news isn't the entire picture, and quite often they get tired of hearing everthing from one side. I don't mind hearing stuff I don't agree with, but on occasion there must be something to report that I do agree with.

I don't hold a terrible view of Al-Jazeera. They play to their own audience. I do think they are complicit in a lot of terrorist things, but I think reporters get over such moral quandries as "part of the job".
Old 08-09-04, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the Iraqi government shutting down the local office of Al-Jazeera, this makes it that much more difficult for the bad guys to get their voice out. And the less their voice is out, the less tempted others would be to join them.
Old 08-09-04, 02:55 AM

Except that millions of Iraqis will still be watching al-Jazeera through their satellite dishes. al-Jazeera doesn't seem any more biased than Fox to me, and for most Iraqis it's *much* more trusted than any other news channel. Cutting them off, even if largely symbolic, sends the wrong message; that the new government isn't interested in freedom of the press: an integral component of any modern, civilized, democratic society.
Old 08-09-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Al Jazeera is actually fairly progressive in the Arab world. Some of you may laugh, but just think about it. They have women news anchors, open debates, stuff like that. I'm sure they have an anti-american slant, but I'm sure it's in the same way as all the US news stations were so "BOO YAH! USA! USA!" during the war. Nothing wrong with it.
Old 08-09-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by kvrdave
I would say that America gives them the freedom to report without bias, and for that they should be thankful enough to cheer for her.
Why is that necessary? Does America need every one of its citizens constantly running around yelling "We're the greatest"? What exactly is accomplished by a news organization "cheering" for America?
Old 08-09-04, 06:38 AM
Banned

I agree with the Iraqi government shutting down the local office of Al-Jazeera, this makes it that much more difficult for the bad guys to get their voice out. And the less their voice is out, the less tempted others would be to join them.
Hmm... What happened to that "I think you're full of shit, but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to free speach" bravado american's used to be famous for? Now it's, "I think you're full of shit. You're censored buddy! Better luck next month."
Old 08-09-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Nutter
Hmm... What happened to that "I think you're full of shit, but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to free speach" bravado american's used to be famous for? Now it's, "I think you're full of shit. You're censored buddy! Better luck next month."
So if I want to start a TV station that inflames hatred and violence towards a specific group of people, you'll help defend my right to broadcast?
Old 08-09-04, 08:47 AM
Mod Emeritus

Does anyone here truly think an Arab-based news station is going to have the same focus and present the same worldview as a US-based news station?
Old 08-09-04, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Nazgul
So if I want to start a TV station that inflames hatred and violence towards a specific group of people, you'll help defend my right to broadcast?
Does Al Jazeera tell it's viewers to kill Americans, or do they slant their news pro-Arab and anti-American?
Old 08-09-04, 08:55 AM
Banned

Re: Al Jazeera shut down...

Originally posted by harpo787

So are Al Jazeera really media that is biased towards "the bad guys", or are they truly neutral coverage, almost to the point of a "fly on the wall" type perspective?
Anyone who think AL Jazeera is neutral is delusional.
Old 08-09-04, 09:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Al Jazeera shut down...

Originally posted by Rivero
Anyone who think AL Jazeera is neutral is delusional.
Anyone who thinks anyone is saying that is, likewise, delusional.
Old 08-09-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Duran
Does Al Jazeera tell it's viewers to kill Americans, or do they slant their news pro-Arab and anti-American?
Al-Jazeera does not need to tell it's viewers to 'kill' Americans, they just help fan the flames.

As I said earlier, if I started broadcasting a station that presented the news in such a way that 'fanned the flames' of violence towards a group of people, I'd expect those here who are upset over free speech to come down and defend my right to broadcast. Right?
Old 08-09-04, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Al-Jazeera does not need to tell it's viewers to 'kill' Americans, they just help fan the flames.

As I said earlier, if I started broadcasting a station that presented the news in such a way that 'fanned the flames' of violence towards a group of people, I'd expect those here who are upset over free speech to come down and defend my right to broadcast. Right?
What is "fanning the flames?" If they say anything you consider anti-American? Al Jazeera's broadcasts hardly meet our current free speech standard for censorship in the U.S.

While I agree that Al Jazeera is biased, and I don't care for how they go about reporting news, we can't go around trying to bring "freedom" and "democracy" to places and then advocate the shutting down of various media outlets. We have to walk the walk.
Old 08-09-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Define "fan the flames" and I'll tell you. But if your broadcast was similar to Al Jazeera's, then yes.
Old 08-09-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Duran
What is "fanning the flames?" If they say anything you consider anti-American?
I would say Al-Jazeera plays up the "Arab victim/Oppression of Islam" angle quite nicely. I'd also say that al-Jazeera makes sure audiences get a mega dose of civilian casualties. Not to mention anytime OBL needs to refresh his 'Jihad Call', Al-Jazeera warms up their VCR's. If Al-Jazeera wants to be critical of the US, fine. However it seems like Al-Jazeera is in the business of 'painting the correct' portrait for it's audience.

It would be like if there was tension between a majority group and a minority group here and my TV station only showed the majority mistreating the minorities, generating anger and hostility in my audience. I would imagine that that type of programming here would be shut down quickly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.