Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

CNN calling FOX News: "crazy people exchanging views"

Old 08-07-04, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CNN calling FOX News: "crazy people exchanging views"

what a joke...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/CA443471.html

Time Warner Inc. chairman Dick Parsons Friday described Fox News Channel as "crazy people exchanging views," telling a group of minority journalists in Washington he felt that the channel and his own Cable News Network are two different services.

When asked by Univision Anchor Jorge Ramos why CNN was losing the ratings battle with Fox, he was not ready to concede that. He said that Fox was more like talk radio on TV, which meant that its viewers stayed longer because people tended to "come and sit down for an hour or two and listen to crazy people exchange views." CNN actually draws more viewers, he said, but said they were grazers who didn't stay long.

Parsons said he did not feel CNN was liberal, but instead has a bias for the truth. He conceded that journalists are often perceived as liberal because they tend to challenge the establishment. He did not make an overt comparison with Fox, but he did say that his news operation "does not give a corporate slant to its journalism. We don't tell them how to report."
Old 08-07-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's just mad becuase they're not in first place ratings wise anymore.

"bias for the truth"

that's a good one
Old 08-07-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jam Master Jay
He's just mad becuase they're not in first place ratings wise anymore.

"bias for the truth"

that's a good one
Do you get a similar rolliong on the floor reaction to the channel with the hubris to call itself, "Fair and Balanced"?
Old 08-07-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

let's be fair here...the majority of fox's talk shows are crazy people
Old 08-07-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bushdog
Do you get a similar rolliong on the floor reaction to the channel with the hubris to call itself, "Fair and Balanced"?
Fox by itself isn't very balanced. It just provides balance to the rest of the media, so I guess it is interpretation. Actually, they cover most of the liberal slanted stories too, just with AP feeds, not their own reporters.

I probably wouldn't recommend it as a sole news source, but, as one of many, it fills a clear void, by covering stories others would rather not. Since they can't stand to be scooped, they wind up covering it too. All is good.
Old 08-07-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I unlike others I don't call them Clinton News Network, but it appears they are taking a page from his book by saying "It depends what the meaning of 'ratings' is?"

The standard definition is the average number of people who watch a given time period, but CNN now focuses on how many people tune in during that time period (even if it's only for a few minutes). It's purely a spin to defend their reputation because that number has little impact from a business (ad revenue) standpoint.
Old 08-07-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Venusian
Not to mention the viewers

Old 08-07-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
They're still better because they don't have Larry King.
Old 08-07-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by movielib
They're still better because they don't have Larry King.
What? You said psychic aliens kidnapped you? That's fascinating.
Old 08-07-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to mention the viewers
What would you call CNN's Crossfire?

Fox calling themselves fair & balanced is like CNN calling itself America's most trusted news network.
Old 08-07-04, 04:59 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I prefer the

Classicman
News
Network

Old 08-07-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow... another liberal media thread already. Here... someone with 29 minutes to kill watch this documentary. You need realplayer (sorry). After watching it, I'd like to hear thoughts on whether the media is "liberal" or not. As far as I'm concerned, these news channels are conservative biased... at the very least they cater to their sponsors and owners. I don't care if a news anchor is liberal - he doesn't write the news or decide what gets reported or not. Pat Buchanan has been quoted as saying: "The truth is, I've gotten fairer, more comprehensive coverage of my ideas than I ever imagined I would receive."

Buchanan further conceded: "I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage - all we could have ever wanted. For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every Republican on earth does that."
Old 08-07-04, 05:10 PM

I'm glad that we have other alternatives beside CNN. Fox may not be the most fair and balanced news but CNN borders on downright traitorousness.
Old 08-07-04, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bushdog
wait just a second here.....you mean to tell me that Fox News ISN'T 'Fair and Balanced'??

my little world is coming down around me!!!!
Old 08-07-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2
What would you call CNN's Crossfire?

Fox calling themselves fair & balanced is like CNN calling itself America's most trusted news network.
Difference is one of those *could* be proven (not saying it has been proven, the other cannot. Someone ought to do a poll to find out if it holds water.
Old 08-07-04, 05:37 PM

*sorry, wrong account, don't want to put words into wife's mouth.
Old 08-07-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cwilli
... CNN borders on downright traitorousness.
How so?
Old 08-07-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cwilli
... CNN borders on downright traitorousness.
Wow
Old 08-07-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger
Wow... another liberal media thread already. Here... someone with 29 minutes to kill watch this documentary. You need realplayer (sorry). After watching it, I'd like to hear thoughts on whether the media is "liberal" or not. [/B]
i watched 10 minutes of it and don't see much here.

its the dem now lady complaining that we don't see enough of the casualties on tv. she thinks that war would be irradicated if they showed those images on u.s. tv. we can only wish. apparently this clips are shown all over the world...why do they still fight?
Old 08-07-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If Fox News qualifies as "fair and balanced" then so does Al Jazeera.
Old 08-07-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

okay, kept watching....

she asks why the networks don't have doctors on their payroll....they do. she wants them to explain what happens when your foot gets blown off. ???? i'm guessing we can figure it out.

she has a problem with the media using the title "operation iraqi freedom" because it is something the govt came up with. i dont really see a problem with this. they are using facts for the reporting (atleast in this case). what's the problem?
Old 08-07-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

she is suggesting that the U.S. purposely targets journalists
Old 08-07-04, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FOX does have a lot of crazy people as guests. This is why you stick around and watch it for more than two minutes. You want to see if that radical is going to reach over the table and smack Bill O'reilly.
Old 08-07-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

she doesn't explain why she thinks Clear Channel is well connected to Bush.

she tells a whole story about how they "almost" got shut down by clear channel on the night of the bombings ... but it didn't happen. they went on fine. they were scared they might be shut down and they weren't. waht's the point of the story?

you couldn't play a song with the word "war" on mtv? first, they play music on mtv? second, isn't that good for the "peace movement"?
Old 08-07-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Trigger
Wow... another liberal media thread already. Here... someone with 29 minutes to kill watch this documentary. You need realplayer (sorry). After watching it, I'd like to hear thoughts on whether the media is "liberal" or not. As far as I'm concerned, these news channels are conservative biased... at the very least they cater to their sponsors and owners. " [/B]

i wasted 30 minutes and downloaded real player for that? it sucked. The only thing the video convinced me of was that the U.S. media doesn't show images of the casualties of war. and i agree that they don't. i'm not sure that they should. they do it for decency reasons. same reason there was such an uproar when the tv station showed the guy killing himself after the police chase.

i have no idea how that video is supposed to convince me the media is conservatively biased

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.