Effort to recall Democrat St. Paul mayor over support of Bush

Old 08-07-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Effort to recall Democrat St. Paul mayor over support of Bush

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_219085626.html

Some Residents Call For Recall Of Mayor Kelly

Aug 6, 2004 7:54 am US/Central
St. Paul (AP) Some St. Paul residents are upset that DFL Mayor Randy Kelly has come out in support of President Bush -- and they're taking action.

The group wants to recall Kelly, who was elected in 2001 and is up for re-election next year.

Organizer Lara Duddingston gathered with a group of friends, neighbors and relatives to start the process.

Duddingston says Kelly is out of step with the people who elected him. She points out that just one of St. Paul's 119 precincts voted for Bush in 2000.

A recall petition would need signatures from about 12,700 registered voters -- 20 percent of the number who voted in the 2001 mayoral election.

The mayor's spokeswoman says Kelly would wait until a petition was filed before making any comments.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...al/9307486.htm

St. Paul mayor endorses Bush during Duluth stop

NEWS TRIBUNE

ELECTION BULLETIN BOARD

St. Paul Mayor Randy Kelly, a Democrat, joined state Republican leaders Monday at a fly-in news conference in Duluth in support of President Bush's re-election campaign.

Kelly, flanked by Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Speaker of the Minnesota House Steve Sviggum and former state Sen. Bob Lessard, an International Falls independent, spoke during a stop at North Country Aviation.

Kelly said he is supporting Bush because he believes it would be better for the country to keep consistent leadership, especially during a time of war. Kelly also said he believes the president has taken the right steps to improve the country and Minnesota's economy. He also made a call for more civil political contests, saying, "I think the time of the politics of hate in our country should come to an end."

The message was similar to the challenge Democratic presidential hopeful U.S. Sen. John Kerry made as he accepted his party's nomination last week in Boston. Kerry challenged Bush to take the political high road.

Calling their two-stop airplane trip the Minnesota Unity Tour, Kelly, Pawlenty, Sviggum and Lessard traveled with Bush-Cheney campaign workers, stumping in Duluth and Rochester.

Democratic stalwart U.S. Rep. Jim Oberstar of Chisholm said Kelly's endorsement would have little effect on the presidential race in Minnesota or the Northland.

Kelly's concern -- that switching presidents during a time of war would jeopardize national security -- was a bugbear, Oberstar added.

"This current administration, the Bush administration, has failed on the economy. They have failed in the international affairs arena and are leading us down a path which is only going to cause more pain and disruption at home and abroad," he said. "We have to change this national leadership team for a new one."

Oberstar also charged that Bush entered office with a $269 billion federal budget surplus, but the country now faces a $421 billion deficit.

"That's reason enough, right there, to change horses," Oberstar said

Where's the tolerance?
Old 08-07-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i support the idea of a recall but i think its stupid to want to recall someone when it has nothing to do with their job.
Old 08-07-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Effort to recall Democrat St. Paul mayor over support of Bush

Originally posted by Nazgul

Where's the tolerance?
Which has what to do with a couple of people who have an issue with his policies and are using the political process?
Old 08-07-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: Effort to recall Democrat St. Paul mayor over support of Bush

Originally posted by Bushdog
Which has what to do with a couple of people who have an issue with his policies and are using the political process?
not sure what he means by it...but i *think* he might be referring to what bfrank was talking about in the linda whatever thread. he asked why cons couldn't enjoy an artist's art if they disagreed with their politics. I guess you could ask why you can't agree with a mayor's mayoral duties if you disagree with his vote for president
Old 08-07-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Effort to recall Democrat St. Paul mayor over support of Bush

Originally posted by Bushdog
It looks like their sole issue is that the Democratic mayor supports the re-election of Bush. He's not towing the party line and a group of people want him out for expressing that sentiment.

With all the talk of Democarts wanting to be 'unifiers', this does not help make the case.

They are free to start a recall, as part of the system. The reason remains petty and small-minded however.
Old 08-07-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure some people cannot balance the two. And they have a right to not want to accept it, either. And there is a process whereby they can try to convince others. Seems like it works out ok, to me.
Old 08-07-04, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Once, I hung up on the phone with someone on accident, so I recalled them.
Old 08-07-04, 12:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

People are questioning his motivation for not towing the party line. Showing independent political thought isn't a bad thing by far, but the reasons he's given for throwing his hat in the ring are vague and questionable. His timing is interesting too. Some people think he's using this as a way to switch over to the republican side and possibly will get a spot on the GOP ticket. Being that he did this at a Bush campaign stop, and not during some interview or whatever, I think there's a chance that's true.
Old 08-07-04, 01:17 AM
Banned

recalling someone cause their vote won't go your way....
Old 08-07-04, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
At least you could cite Grey Davis' record for a recall...recalling a Mayor for who they will vote for in a national election is downright creepy.
Old 08-07-04, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Venusian
i support the idea of a recall but i think its stupid to want to recall someone when it has nothing to do with their job.
is his job to represent the people that elected him?
Old 08-07-04, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Not by voting for president as they would want him...or should Bloomberg (or Guiliani in 2000) be forced to vote for a Democrat in NY?
Old 08-07-04, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't these people have better things to do with thier time???

Who the hell cares about what the MAYOR thinks?
Old 08-07-04, 06:45 AM

With all the talk of Democarts wanting to be 'unifiers', this does not help make the case.
Generally I've found people who want to be "unifiers" (Bush included) want you to come around to thinking like them.
Old 08-07-04, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
At least you could cite Grey Davis' record for a recall...recalling a Mayor for who they will vote for in a national election is downright creepy.
I don't think it's so much about who he's going to vote for so much as it is who he's campaigning for.
Old 08-07-04, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
is his job to represent the people that elected him?
not really, for a congressman, yes. but for a mayor, his job is to do the work in the city
Old 08-07-04, 09:32 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Recall

[walks off grumbling]

If you don't like the way the dude votes, vote him out of office when his term comes up for election. This is garbage.
Old 08-07-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One does not tow a party line; one toes a party line.

And this is exhibit number one as to why recalls are stupid. Between scheduled elections and the impeachment process, the system has enough ways to get people out of office. Recalls just encourage stupid things like this.
Old 08-07-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

If there is a recall provision in the law - I see nothing wrong with the voters chosing (or not chosing) to exercise that option.
Old 08-07-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Venusian
not really, for a congressman, yes. but for a mayor, his job is to do the work in the city
sure.. but there has to be some sort of stipulations.. just in case the person proves to be insane
Old 08-07-04, 09:44 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've always believed that if somebody switches parties while in office, they should be required to resign, and run again. Along with paying the taxpayers for the election that they forced.

This isn't even remotely close as an issue.

I can see the slogan now- "Support the supression of votes for a freer America". Nothing like starting the morning off with a nice dose of American political hypocrisy.
Old 08-07-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by twikoff
sure.. but there has to be some sort of stipulations.. just in case the person proves to be insane
well if they are insane, i assume they aren't fulfilling their job as mayor....

or you can take the D.C. approach and reelect them after they get out of prison
Old 08-07-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is scary. If the situation were reversed, I would never want a recall of a Dem politician supporting a Repub president. We should be able to think beyond our party lines. To believe otherwise is scary.
Old 08-07-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I've always believed that if somebody switches parties while in office, they should be required to resign, and run again
Like Phil Gramm did?
Old 08-07-04, 12:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by classicman2
Like Phil Gramm did?
You left out the part about paying for the election the 'defector' causes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.