Marines report 300 insurgents killed in Najaf

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-04, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/...ain/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- About 300 militia fighters have been killed in the south-central Iraqi city of Najaf in fighting since Thursday, U.S. military officials said.
Old 08-06-04, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many of those were innocents?

I hope iraqibodycount.net updates their total to 10,300
Old 08-06-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-06-04, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Nazgul
How many of those were innocents?

I hope iraqibodycount.net updates their total to 10,300
Are you blaming the US or the militia for the innocent deaths???
Old 08-06-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Myster X
Are you blaming the US or the militia for the innocent deaths???
The US, duh.
Old 08-06-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be careful Myster X - He's from Lawrence......they're almost ALL LIBERAL THERE!!!!!!

Old 08-06-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Minor Threat
Be careful Myster X - He's from Lawrence......they're almost ALL LIBERAL THERE!!!!!!

Yes. I'll be going to the march later to 'mourn' these 300 'freedom fighters' and then we'll make out way to cheer Kerry when he stops in here tonight.
Old 08-06-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-06-04, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, more dead illiterate Iraqi teenagers!
Old 08-06-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Scott Baldauf, a reporter for The Christian Science Monitor who was in Najaf on Thursday, told CNN that the electric and water supplies to the city had been cut off and estimated that dozens of civilians were among the casualties in the violence.

"What we did see were civilian casualties at the main hospital in Najaf," Baldauf said. "Many of them had suffered bullet shot wounds and shrapnel as well."
Old 08-06-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats 300 less votes for kerry!
Old 08-06-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by funkyryno
Yeah, more dead illiterate Iraqi teenagers!
...with guns and rocket grenades firing at our troops.

Boom, shakalaka Boom.

Look, it sucks to see people die. But if anyone thinks they weren't putting themselves in a situation to be killed, they are kidding themselves. The iraqi people deserve better than these insurgents.

As for the civilians.... I'm sure our troops did their best not to kill innocents. Unfortunately, remembering the enemies who were holding women and children in front of them while firing a weapon in the early post-war days, along with the fact that the battleground is within a city, this can't be much of a suprise.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 08-06-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, just like they did their best not to torture inmates!

US bad! BAD!
Old 08-06-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DaveNinja
thats 300 less votes for kerry!
Iraqis can't vote, silly Ninja.

But that's okay, they're used to it.

Spoiler:
Yes, I know Saddam held 'elections'. Don't go ruining a good joke - everybody knows his elections were slightly crooked.
Old 08-06-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

According to this, another 1200 surrendered and were taken prisoner. 1500 less "freedom fighters" might slow Sadr down a little
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...8/s1171087.htm
Sadr militia surrender in Najaf: Iraqi police
More than 1,200 militiamen loyal to radical Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr have surrendered following fierce clashes with US and Iraqi forces in Najaf, the police general directorate said.

"Over 1,200 criminals have surrendered to Iraqi forces," it said in a statement, adding that the holy city of Najaf had been "secured".

It said most of the captured militiamen were criminals who were released from Iraqi prisons by ousted president Saddam Hussein before last year's US-led invasion.

The statement accused Sadr's Mehdi Army of wanting to "destabilise the country," and vowed "this operation will continue until this illegal and cruel violence has been quelled".

No one in Sadr's Najaf office was immediately available for comment on the statement.

The US military said on Friday that 300 militiamen were killed in Najaf since Thursday's fighting, while the province's coalition-appointed governor Adnan al-Zorfi said the number was as high as 400.

The military said also three US soldiers were killed and 12 wounded.

Sadr's spokesman Sheikh Ahmed al-Shaibani said only nine militiamen were killed in fighting and 20 wounded.

Battles have raged in several Iraqi cities in the past two days between fighters from Sadr's Mehdi army and foreign forces.

The fighting appears to have shattered a two-month-old cease-fire between US forces and the Mehdi militia.

Clashes between British troops and fighters loyal to the radical cleric also broke out on Friday evening in the southern city of Basra, a Reuters witness said.

He said residents took shelter as British troops fought with members of the Mehdi militia in the centre of the city.

Automatic weapons fire echoed from the area, along with the sound of mortars or rockets, he said.

A British military spokeswoman said the clash occurred when a British foot patrol came under attack near Sadr's Basra office.

She said it was unclear if there were any casualties, adding the patrol later withdrew from the area.
Old 08-06-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All kidding aside, it's time al-Sadr visits Allah personally.
Old 08-06-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I was trying to drag across the spoiler tag in mutleys post and firefox opened another browser tab with "everyone knows sadam held elections..." as the search criteria for google...this was the first page on the list...

http://www.moderateindependent.com/v1i18anger.htm

Just thought I'd let you know that.
Old 08-06-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how you guys can smugly chat about human beings fighting and dying for what appears to be nothing like it's some kind of f'ing spectator sport.

Every day, I see another few kids come through my facility with limbs missing, and it's completely disheartening to hear folks who sound like they might be physically aroused by death tolls.

Sickening.
Old 08-06-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

These particular dead guys are religious fanatics out to reestablish a tyrannical form of government to keep the Iraqi people down and I for one am very happy to cheer their death. There is no better outcome. These are not redeemable people. I send the banana as my delegate to dance on their graves.

I only feel bad for the US and Iraqi police (and civilian) casualties. I feel really good about the militants.
Old 08-06-04, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by OldDude
...religious fanatics out to reestablish a tyrannical form of government...
Who are we talking about again?

I only feel bad for the US and Iraqi police (and civilian) casualties. I feel really good about the militants.
I'm glad you can celebrate violent death...I would celebrate too if I thought it moved us a mm closer to the end of this mess, but I don't think that it does. Further, I've talked to a few of these kids, and by and large, they don't know who the hell they are shooting at.

I just hope as few people as possible (on BOTH sides) have to die before this thing is resolved and that if any of you bloodthirsty folks finds themselves at the end of a rifle...that it's the right end...so you can celebrate the joy of having killed a person. I hear it's much better than watching on TV.
Old 08-06-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

al Sadr claims to be a religious leader. Personally I think he just wants to be the new dictator.

In any case, 300 of his forces killed, 1200 captured and off the street has got to be a good thing. Better if he were killed instead of his poor lackeys.

Last edited by OldDude; 08-06-04 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-06-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by chess
I love how you guys can smugly chat about human beings fighting and dying for what appears to be nothing like it's some kind of f'ing spectator sport.

Every day, I see another few kids come through my facility with limbs missing, and it's completely disheartening to hear folks who sound like they might be physically aroused by death tolls.

Sickening.

Righteous indignation.
Old 08-06-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may be indignant, but I'm damn sure not righteous. In fact, I rarely see a "right" side in any matter, especially war.

I'm also not easily offended. I can even live with the absurdly partisan (300 kerry supporters?). But people celebrating war makes me ill.
Old 08-06-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mmmmmmm....

Dead militants makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 08-06-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by chess
I may be indignant, but I'm damn sure not righteous. In fact, I rarely see a "right" side in any matter, especially war.

I'm also not easily offended. I can even live with the absurdly partisan (300 kerry supporters?). But people celebrating war makes me ill.
I tend to draw a fairly healthy distinction between "celebrating war" and celebrating what appears to be a successful turn of events in a war we are already involved in, but that's just me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.