Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Green card interview next week... been there?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 2 1/2 years my wife has her green card interview coming up next week. Not really concerned about it since we have all the paper work and nothing is fishy about how legit our marriage is.

Have any of you been in one before?

My ONLY concern is that we married on a tourist visa. The official way is through a K1 Fiance visa BEFORE arrival to the U.S. I remember reading around the time we married that most people get married on a tourist visa anyway. When you marry on a tourist visa it is supposed to be a spur of the moment thing... but we had a good idea we'd marry when she came over.
Old 08-06-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Green card interview next week... been there?

Originally posted by atlantamoi
but we had a good idea we'd marry when she came over.
I would leave that part out of the conversation...
Old 08-06-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good luck to you. I'm currently trying to figure out how to get a visa to lead to a green card and to lead to eventually citizenship. The first step is just trying to figure out the best possible way for both my wife and I to get to the U.S. on a visa and hopefully both work, or select a state where there is less of a delay in the spouse being able to work. Hopefully I will be able to find a local immigration lawyer who knows his/her stuff. If not, I may have to make a trip down just to talk to someone for a couple of hours. Any suggestions on people to talk to or anywhere where they can give you an initial assesment for not too much?
Old 08-06-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Green card interview next week... been there?

Originally posted by BradJ
I would leave that part out of the conversation...
Believe me... answers will be concise and short. That was the advice of a good friend who went through this last week. But I will not lie. I think that could cause more problems than help. I've been reading stories online and it seems most people who apply for AOS on a tourist visa don't have any problems. But I agree with you.
Old 08-06-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by saoirse
Any suggestions on people to talk to or anywhere where they can give you an initial assesment for not too much?
This I can't really help you on. My post was really just to see if other DVD Talkers have done this before. I actually was fortunate to have my wife's cousin go through the exact same process two years earlier. We were able to look at all their paperwork to figure out some tough issues. We didn't use a lawyer.

I would look online for your answers. There are a lot of websites for help.
Old 08-06-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No problem. I thought I'd ask in here anyway in case someone who knows may be drawn to the thread. I have found out some info of the web as well as some friend in the U.S. (but they either are from there or they married a U.S. citizen).

Also someone helped me a bit before, and perhaps they may have a bit more info.

Thanks though. All the best.
Old 08-06-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We went through this four or so years ago (pre 9/11). It was a breeze, they just want to make sure that the two of you are a real couple and this isn't a sham marriage to get her a green card. Especially if you have kids, you're fine. My wife was also here on a tourist visa.

Out of curiosity, how many times has she been fingerprinted? My wife has now been fingerprinted at least 5 or 6 times, from two INS offices (St. Louis & Chicago), at the Springfield IL police dept, and twice at the Decatur IL police dept. She is in the process of getting her citizenship now and was fingerprinted for that in March. A girl she knows was fingerprinted at the same time and has her interview in a few weeks and will become a citizen in time to vote this fall. My wife got a letter at the same time saying that the FBI lost her fingerprints and she had to have them retaken, at a police department ~ 50 miles from where we live (though at no cost this time).
Old 08-06-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Heat... fingerprints just one time. That was yesterday in fact. We thought an interview follows about 3 to 6 months after that, but it's only like 10 days for us. I'm starting to feel a bit apprehensive about all this. Just like a job interview can be stressful. We shall see....
Old 08-06-04, 05:25 PM
Suspended

How much was your wife?
Old 08-06-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heat
Out of curiosity, how many times has she been fingerprinted? My wife has now been fingerprinted at least 5 or 6 times, from two INS offices (St. Louis & Chicago), at the Springfield IL police dept, and twice at the Decatur IL police dept.
my finger prints were lost about 4 times when i was getting my citizenship. They kept sending me letters asking to get it done again and again
Old 08-07-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
How much was your wife?
I guess that's the automatic thing people are supposed to think. I actually met her in the States at her cousin's wedding (she's a head turner). Dated long distance. So she cost about the same as any other wife + a few 3 hour plane flights + immigration fees.
Old 08-07-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cool Kitten
my finger prints were lost about 4 times when i was getting my citizenship. They kept sending me letters asking to get it done again and again
It's routine to ask for new fingerprints. One of my (Russian) friends was asked about every 6 months for 4 years.
Old 08-07-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

and where are the pics of the head-turning wife??????
Old 08-07-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

The US immigration is a joke. So instead of getting married here, I went to Australia and got married there.

Soon she'll have been on US soil for 3 years then the fun begins. She wants to retain her Australian citizenship, which I totally respect. So she'll become a law abiding tax paying US permanent resident
Old 08-07-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what happens after she's on US soil for 3 years?
Old 08-07-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I guess that's the automatic thing people are supposed to think. I actually met her in the States at her cousin's wedding (she's a head turner). Dated long distance. So she cost about the same as any other wife + a few 3 hour plane flights + immigration fees.
Probably cost a lot more than I remember 10 years ago being in a long distance relationship...frigging phone bills were huge!

Definitely would be cheaper now with unlimited LD plans (although I don't think there are any international ones yet are there? (besides to Canada, but that doesn't count )
Old 08-07-04, 11:46 PM
Suspended

The crowd chants, "Picture, picture, picture..."
Old 08-07-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well Mongo, there's this little thing called the internet you might have heard of

My girlfriend and I want to be together, but we live in seperate countries. We're also both very tight on money right now... she's just out of college and looking for a job presently. I so wish one of us could just move to be with the other, then we could pool resources and be happy, but neither of us can afford a move to another country. We're kind of stuck right now.
Old 08-08-04, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Cool Kitten
One of the times she needed to be fingerprinted again not because they lost it, but because the fingerprints had expired.

And the thing about this one was that this was the application for her permanent residency which normally takes 6 to 10 months (per what we had read from INS documents), this was something like 2.5 years later. They had "expired" because INS had taken so long to process the application.
Old 08-08-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BizRodian
Well Mongo, there's this little thing called the internet you might have heard of

Yes, now, and for the past few years (well, longer than that, but only widely available for what, 5-6 years now?) How long has this relationship been going on?

The one I mentioned was actually 13 years ago now. She and I didn't have email to keep in touch, thus the huge phone bills.

A couple of years after that, another gf moved to MN with me. The only readily available sources of email were dial up BBSs that were connected to FIDOnet, which could still take 2 days or so to reach their destination. Once again, we had huge phone bills because she couldn't deal with being that far from her family, and thus called every day.
Old 08-08-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
The crowd chants, "Picture, picture, picture..."
Okay, against my better judgment... here's my little head turner. Notice I said MY... I at least find her like that! Oh, and...no, she's not 18... just about to turn 26.

(wow, there is some serious degradation with .jpg here... but you get the idea)
Old 08-08-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, she's really pretty. Now get ready for all the horny toads here to drool over her
Old 08-08-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, where are you from originally?
Old 08-09-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good looking hispanic women are typically 6 to 8 years younger than they look, I met my wife when she was 30, would have sworn she was 22 or 24 or so.

Cool Kitten's from Russia.

Where is your wife from? If I had to guess, I'd say Columbia or Venezuala.
Old 08-09-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Kitten,

Currently, I'm drooling over various microwaves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.