Reload this Page >

selling on ebay as a job?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-06-04, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so I've been looking for a part time job and the job market is so sucky (I've been laid off since November)

a friend of mine sells on ebay, and she is now after a year starting to make good money... she remakes vintage dresses, rips them up and sews them back together, selling to the whole goth/lolita crowd. The thing is, it took her a year before she started to make some money, she basically created a market on ebay for her stuff. She keeps telling me I should do it, and I've sold stuff in the past but never found the profit worth it.

I know there's people who do this for a living, and I'm only looking for a $500/month minimum or so... but I can't find a job so I'm thinking about ebay again.

I just don't know what I'd get into... but I don't know what to sell that would make it worth it.

any ideas?
Old 08-06-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a friend who buys large quantities of unclaimed freight containers (electronics) and sells them on eBay. He quit his job a year and a half ago, and seems to be doing quite nicely.
Old 08-06-04, 11:18 AM

hmm

I don't think I have the seed $$ for that
Old 08-06-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Minor Threat
I have a friend who buys large quantities of unclaimed freight containers (electronics) and sells them on eBay. He quit his job a year and a half ago, and seems to be doing quite nicely.
How do you buy unclaimed freight containers?
Old 08-06-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is an actual company here in the DFW area (don't know if it is nation wide) with several stores. And basically individuals who want to get rid of stuff take it to this store. The store then sells it on e-bay and charges a fee (something like 50%!) But the store takes care of the listing, auction, packing, collecting, etc, etc.

If I remember right it is a franchise. I'll try to find the name. They were doing pretty good last I looked.
Old 08-06-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PixyJunket
How do you buy unclaimed freight containers?

I don't have the specifics, but I know it is at an auction and he needed fairly little money to start with. As he made more money from eBay sales he was able to purchase more and more at auction. Maybe a quick Yahoo search on unclaimed freight auction would turn something up, I'm not sure.
Old 08-06-04, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Betho
I know there's people who do this for a living, and I'm only looking for a $500/month minimum or so... but I can't find a job so I'm thinking about ebay again.
$6.00/hr * 40 hours/week * 4 weeks a month = $960 month - $144 ([email protected]%) = $816

You can't find a job that pays $6.00 an hour?

Ebay is a lot of hard work and more of a hassle than it's probably worth to do anything more than supplemental income.
Old 08-06-04, 11:27 AM

My wife works with a guy who buys lots (think pallets, not "a lot") of things and sells them on ebay individually. He's sold disney movies, and baby wipes, and other stuff. He's just on the lookout for something he can break apart and sell individually.
Old 08-06-04, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by neiname
Ebay is a lot of hard work and more of a hassle than it's probably worth to do anything more than supplemental income.
It is hard work, but you're doing it for yourself on your own time. That's the appeal for many people.
Old 08-06-04, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good friend of mine has been self-employed on eBay since 1996. He's doing quite well also.
Old 08-06-04, 11:33 AM

well I can only work part-time, for one thing, I don't have time to work f/t. and I can only work days, and it's pretty difficult to find a part-time job for daytime. My schedule is not negotiable, unfortunately - no way I can work nights.

Ebay would be ideal because I could work from home whenever I have time to set aside, which isn't always consistent throughout the week. I can MAKE my daytime free time be consistent, but it isn't at the moment and I don't want to rearrange things if I don't have to.

And I consider $500/month to be supplemental, my husband makes enough to support us but I want to make headway with getting out of debt.
Old 08-06-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My brother-in-law makes pretty good money on ebay buying interesting antiques locally and reselling them. He basically looks for items that might have a specific market besides just the antiques market (for example he bought a ww1 military uniform for a little over a hundred dollars locally and was able to sell it for much more on ebay to a collector).

He makes a large profit per item but doesn't sell in quantity (just a few items a month). What he does requires an a knowledge of antiques and a bit of start up money since the items are often kind of expensive to begin with.

tasha
Old 08-06-04, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by neiname
$6.00/hr * 40 hours/week * 4 weeks a month = $960 month - $144 ([email protected]%) = $816

You can't find a job that pays $6.00 an hour?

She said part time.
Old 08-06-04, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Betho, what about the soap thing? Could you make money on that?
Old 08-06-04, 11:57 AM

I don't have enough room in this apt to make soap here, so that wouldn't work but when we move into a bigger place I'll be able to set up everything. The thing is, I'm still gonna need seed money for advertising. I actually have my website mostly finished and everything, business plan's been done for a long time, I just need to have a place to work if I were to do the soap thing, which btw won't sell on ebay. I'd have to advertise in the right way in order to get an online business, which is exactly what I want... I don't want to sell the stuff at flea markets to try to make a buck.
Old 08-06-04, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

The two people I know that do it buy stuff at garage sales for cheap (lamps, furniture, etc. etc.). They do pretty well. They are the first to arrive at the garage sales and take the best stuff, and then show up at the end and try to make a good deal on a large amount of "crap that wouldn't sell".

One also goes around and cleans out people's houses for free (when someone has died, etc., after they have taken everything they want). He gets a few nifty things, and they get the rest of their junk hauled away for nothing.
Old 08-06-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the idea of not being stuck in office hell.. but I just imagine making anywhere near what I make now on eBay would probably take a lot of time/work. So, my quest to find a sugar momma remains priority one.
Old 08-06-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kvrdave

One also goes around and cleans out people's houses for free (when someone has died, etc., after they have taken everything they want). He gets a few nifty things, and they get the rest of their junk hauled away for nothing.
[QUOTE]

Does the occupant have to be deceased?
Has he ever thought about extending his services to local businesses, banks, hotels perhaps?
Old 08-06-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I'd think he could clean up a shut down business just as easily. My dad worked in a high rise where the first 3 floors were small stores and restaurants and every time one went out of business they left a bunch of crap behind. I know a guy who just closed his video store and was having trouble giving stuff away like display racks.
Old 08-06-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well talk about different trains of thought. I was thinking diesteldorf was suggesting "knocking off" said businesses, but I guess cleaning them out after they go the way of the dodo is more reasonable.
Old 08-06-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whenever I hear about someone working on eBay, I always feel like it's 1999 again and people are selling Everquest accounts.
Old 08-06-04, 02:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears to take quite a bit of effort to list a bunch of stuff on eBay

I am clearing out some stuff, and listed 78 items, mostly similar, I would say it took me 5 hours, maybe 6 just to list them.
Old 08-06-04, 02:28 PM
DAC

Well, if you are selling the same item you can do up your HTML and just keep re-listing the items and it would take a lot less time. I agree, I just sold an item and I think it took me close to an hour to get it up and listed. Wouldn't want to do it for multiple different items, but if you were selling the same item it wouldn't be bad. Just going to the post office or UPS office to ship could be a pain.
Old 08-06-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
So, my quest to find a sugar momma remains priority one.
ditto.
Old 08-06-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, I got the post office (or was it fed ex), to send me boxes (mainly small) and tape for free. That would help out with the shipping expenses (I the last couple of weeks I have bought my 1st items on e-bay). I have looked at some other small things, but have not purchased as shipping was so high.

I had used the boxes when we moved to pack small fragil things, but obviously that are really meant for shipping/mailing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.