We put our cat to sleep yesterday

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 08-04-04, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please no wacky posts. thx

I wasn't going to post this (I had a thread in the reviewer forum) but I'm just too beside myself. I need to talk about it. We put Sabina, our 17 year old cat, to sleep yesterday. I know that everyone thinks that their cat is special but we have had four cats at various times and I can tell you that this one was particularly wonderful. (All the others have been awesome pets but she was just the queen.) She was so smart and cool, so tough and proud, and you really had to earn her affection, but once you did she was really loyal. When I met my girlfriend 6 years ago Sabina was like "whatever. You're just a dumb boy." but we got really close. She was so cool. My GF (who had found Sabina around 1988) said that other than herself no one was ever as close to Sabina as I was. When she was healthy she was so solid and strong you could use her as a pillow without having to hold back the weight of your head at all. And when she got sick, about a year ago with inflammatory bowel disease, she lost a lot of weight. She still remained tough as hell, however, and would jump on our dining table while we ate and just get right in your food. She was very saucy.

She also was very private and would always sleep in the living room in later years except for a couple of months earlier this year when she got obsessed with sleeping in the bed with us (kicking out our other cat). She would walk around, walk over us, walk over our dog, it was hysterical. I would often wake up in the morning with her perched on my chest. Once I woke up on my side with her neatly perched, asleep, on my hip. I don't know how she did that!

My favorite story was how she tamed Pete, our dog. When we first found him she was really uneasy: She spent three days under the bed. We really hoped she'd accept him since his staying was reliant on that. She did start to check him out and eventually fell super in love with him. But her love always came with the condition that you understand her goddess nature. Once Pete was innocently sitting next to the litter box (well, maybe not so innocently, now that I think about it) when Sabina decided she needed to do some business. She stormed directly at him in a really forceful and self-assured way. Even though he was many times her size, he backed up nervously, stumbling over his own feet. She backed him up just so that he was over the threshhold of the doorway to the next room, then she stopped. She looked up at him and quacked once. That made him sit. She quacked a second time. That made him lie down. She stared at him until she was certain he'd stay. Then she slowly turned around, walked back to the litter box, and did what she had to do.

We really miss her a lot. It was, however, the exact right day to to it. She was just spent. She very poignently said goodbye to the other animals (she cuddled up to our other cat, which had previously been unthinkable) and finally was able to rest. It's so incredibly hard to imagine her being gone but I know that the animals see it differently. I may not believe that there's a heaven for people but I'm damn sure there's one for cats and dogs.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 07-11-05 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry about your loss.

I know how it is to lose a "special" cat. I mean most cats are special to the people who own them, but some are really special. My last special cat died 3 years ago now. I have 2 others now, one is sweet and all but doesn't have much of the spark that can make some cats extra special, but luckily the other is pretty special, just in a different way. I still can cry if I think about my last cat too much.

Last edited by datagirl7; 08-05-04 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Condolences. Been there.
Old 08-04-04, 01:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As a kid, I never had an appreciation for how much a nice pet can improve your life. As an adult, I am dreading the inevitable loss of my dog.
Old 08-04-04, 01:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What a sweet and great looking cat. Sorry to hear of your loss. If you can find any comfort its knowing that she let you know it was her time and that you ended any suffering she was having.

I have 2 great dogs and am going to dread them getting older knowing that they will eventually pass.

It would be nice if there was a way to clone them, ala repet from that Arnie movie.
Old 08-04-04, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your cat was a cutie (not to mention the dog in the picture also).

Being there when your pet is put to sleep is one of the toughest things I've ever had to face. But, looking back, I can't imagine not being there to say goodbye. When my dog was put down (12 years old, had horrible back and neck problems), she simply put her head on my leg and fell asleep. It broke my heart, but I know us being there comforted her. I'm sure the same can be said Sabina.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope my new dog (he's only 3 months old now) lives as long as Sabina did.
Old 08-04-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Your dog looks like mine.
Old 08-04-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My older cat is just about 4, and I don't even like to think about her time. Heck, she'll probably bury me.
Old 08-04-04, 02:25 PM
Suspended

WTF is wrong w/ that cat's eyes?
Old 08-04-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
WTF is wrong w/ that cat's eyes? [/B]
(a) Cats have reflective lining on the back of their eyes to aid in low-light conditions that also cause crazy photos. If you actually care you can read about it here
(b) your post is pretty much what I asked to not have in here. "That cat" is the cat that this thread is about.

To the others, thanks for the kind words.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 08-04-04 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-04-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so sorry to hear about your loss
I still cry over my first cat that i lost 2 years ago. It's so incredibly hard to lose a pet. The feeling of helplessness is just overwhelming.
Old 08-04-04, 02:42 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts
It sounds like Sabina had a wonderful, long life, and that she was well loved.

Sorry about your loss.
Old 08-04-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Being there when your pet is put to sleep is one of the toughest things I've ever had to face. But, looking back, I can't imagine not being there to say goodbye.
I agree. It's extremely hard. We brought our dog along (the one in the picture) because whenever one of the cats has to go to the vet he just sits and waits for her to come back. We wanted him to know what happened. Considering that he hates going to the vet he was so good. He watched her go, then sniffed her foot and he was ready. He's really sad but there's none of that waiting that he usually does.
Old 08-04-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn,i love cats..:

I offer you this,

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed
he was walking along the beach with the LORD.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of
footprints in the sand: one belonging
to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him,
he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the path of
his life there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very
lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

Old 08-04-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a great scan. (cat scan?) Cat paws are amazing. One of the last things I made sure to do before leaving Sabina was to kiss her paws. They were still as pink and soft as a kitten's.
Old 08-04-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey Gil.

I can't remember if we ever shared words in a thread before but now is a special time, indeed.

We too recently lost a very, very, very dear friend of our own after 14 years of love & happiness (a little homeless feline we named "Sgt. Pee Pee"), and can understand the pain and sorrow you are experiencing now.

Treesa & I hope you will find comfort in the fact that your love was the most precious gift you could have ever given her, and that she loved you with all her little heart for it.

Paul
Old 08-04-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
I know how you feel. It's like a loss of a family member. I'm very sorry to hear what happened.
Old 08-04-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Old 08-04-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is such a hard thing. I lost my own cat to leukemia this past Christmas and it was heartbreaking.

Right now I'm pretty distraught myself because my pet rabbit, William is pretty sick. The vets assure me he's going to be OK, but I can't help imagining the worst-case scenarios. I'm literally making myself sick with worry. It's amazing the kinds of bonds we form with these animals -- the thought of losing my pet rabbit makes me almost as upset as I was when my Mom died. In some ways, that's f***ed up to put an animal on the same level as my Mom, but on another level, when you think about the unconditional love you get from your pets, it makes perfect sense.

Here's a picture of William.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread. It sounds like Sabina was an awesome cat. Once the pain has time to pass, you'll be left with a lot of great memories.
Old 08-04-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your loss, it's obvious that you and your girlfriend cared deeply about Sabina.
Old 08-04-04, 10:21 PM
Suspended

Mod Note: Removed inappropriate comment. FuzzyBallz, you're treading on thin ice. Please refrain from posting insulting comments.

Last edited by Venusian; 08-05-04 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-04-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
My condolences, Gotham, it is so tough to part ways w/ a beloved pet.
Old 08-04-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: We put our cat to sleep yesterday

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
We really miss her a lot. It was, however, the exact right day to to it. She was just spent. She very poignently said goodbye to the other animals (she cuddled up to our other cat, which had previously been unthinkable) and finally was able to rest.
This gave me a serious lump in my throat.

I dread the day my dog dies. I will miss her.

Sorry for the loss.
Old 08-04-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My heart goes out to you, as I'm sure just about every other post on here has done. And, no doubt at some point someone will come in with what appears to be an inappropriate post, if it hasn't happened already. Odds are, they're unable to express the sorrow for you, and that's the best they can do. So be it.

Just so you know, you're not alone in posting about doing this. I did the same way back here.

I hope I did this link correctly. You go there and read this as well. It seems to help to express your thoughts, even if it IS in a forum to many strangers.

An odd thing is, for me, that I remember the good times and the bad times with my buddy Stevie Ray, and amazingly, even the bad times are now remembered fondly as good in their own way too.

Feel free to not answer this question if you choose, or especially if it's already in the thread...I'll see it. Were you present when Sabina was put to sleep?

Lot's of love from myself and my two kitties, Snoopy & Droopy. Perhaps I should nickname myself Loopy, so that I can fit in with the cats.
Old 08-04-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember when you first posted the pict with Sabina and Pete on your sofa. Brought a smile to my face. Still does.

My condolences for your loss.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.