Reload this Page >

Bar exam starts today...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Bar exam starts today...

Old 07-27-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Bar exam starts today...

Well, the bar exam starts today. I feel very unprepared, but we'll see how it goes. I'm mostly worried about today because anything could be tested on those 6 essay questions. At least I'll know what'll be tested tomorrow (subjects for the MBE - 200 multiple choice questions), and whatever's not tested today will be tested on Thursday's essay questions.

I just have to remember to ask: What would Lionel Hutz do?

For the lawyers on this board, did you pass the exam on your first try?
Old 07-27-04, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck
Old 07-27-04, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, good luck, you'll need it. Muuhahahahahaha!

(actually, I found the whole thing to be rather anticlimatic, don't get me wrong, it was a hard, hard test, but anticlimatic all the same.)

You'll live.

edit: of course I didn't feel the same way in the days before the results came out...now that was nerve racking.

Last edited by YellowLedbetter; 07-27-04 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
good luck!
hopefully youll pass and be able to defend me one day

Support the Monkey/Wikoff ticket,VOTE now!
Old 07-27-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 326 Likes on 264 Posts
Have fun. One of my best friends is taking it in CT. He is already a member of the MA Bar but he recently moved from Beantown to CT, so he has to take it again.

Yes - I passed on the first try. Honestly, I was more intimidated by law school finals than the bar.
Old 07-27-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Good Luck.

The wife has a couple of cousins taking it in Chicago, I hope they pass because it would be nice to have some legal representation in the the northern part of the state.
Old 07-27-04, 09:11 AM

Well, "Lionel_Hutz" passed the Illinois bar exam on his first try, 4 years ago (wow, has it been that long?) Seriously, though, I remember that I didn't sleep well the night before the first day of the exam, and I thought for sure that I had failed and shouldn't even bother going to the second day of the exam. I also remember that one of my essay questions on the first day dealt with the rule against perpetuties, and it certainly couldn't have been that answer that helped me pass the exam!

In all seriousness, though, I wish you the best of luck. What kind of exam preparation did you do?
Old 07-27-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck. I have a friend taking this today as well.
Old 07-27-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk God

And as the real Lionel Hutz would say:

Good for you. If there is one thing the world needs, it's more lawyers. Can you imagine a world without lawyers. [shudder]
Old 07-27-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
It's a bitch, but it's a bitch for EVERYONE. Just remember that no one walks out of the test thinking they nailed it.

I passed on the first try.
Old 07-27-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk God

How many lawyers do we have on this forum?

I've read somewhere that 95% of all lawyers in the world in the United States. It seems that a good portion of those inhabit this forum.
Old 07-27-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Walking out of this exam will be one of the best days of your life.

Best of luck!

- David Stein
Old 07-27-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have a friend that graduated lawschool but failed the bar exam for california 3 times. she finally gave up and just started her own business.
that shit is hard, she said. so best of luck to you...
Old 07-27-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good luck
Old 07-27-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by classicman2
How many lawyers do we have on this forum?

I've read somewhere that 95% of all lawyers in the world in the United States. It seems that a good portion of those inhabit this forum.
I believe we have three lawyers for every cantankerous senior citizen.
Old 07-27-04, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by JasonF
I believe we have three lawyers for every cantankerous senior citizen.

Old 07-27-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

CM is testing today, too. He started yesterday, though. He called me a few hours ago as he was going on an hour break and said that his hand was hurting from writing so much. I at least hope he finds comfort in knowing that he's now a little over halfway done with it!

Did any of you guys have to travel to a different city to take it? Here it's only offered in Montgomery, so CM had to get a hotel room for several days so he wouldn't have to drive 2 hours back and forth. That just seems very inconvenient, especially for people who don't really have the money to spend on a hotel for 3-5 nights.
Old 07-27-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Penny Lane

Did any of you guys have to travel to a different city to take it? Here it's only offered in Montgomery, so CM had to get a hotel room for several days so he wouldn't have to drive 2 hours back and forth. That just seems very inconvenient, especially for people who don't really have the money to spend on a hotel for 3-5 nights.

Yeah - I live in NOVA and I took the Maryland Bar Exam - administered in Baltimore. Didn't need a hotel though since I grew up in the burbs of Baltimore and my parents still live there. My mom treated me very well at meal time that week.
Old 07-27-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got back a while ago. Ah, "The Simpsons" helps soothe the stress. Thanks for the all of the well-wishing.

Six essay questions today: torts (ultrahazardous activities - never been tested in OH before), crim pro (withdrawing guilty plea, motion for new trial, etc.), corporations (shareholder meetings, proxies, etc.), con law (1A rights of the press), and property (riparian water rights!). And one more that I'm totally blanking on right now. They weren't terribly difficult.

The two MPTs (Multistate Performance Test) were simple, but time-consuming - 1.5 hours each. Typing on the computer has spoiled me. My hand is killing me (there goes tonight's stress relief )

One of my collegues was there today - his third time taking the test. One guy that I clerked with took six tries to pass. That would suck.

I'm going out for ribs now!
Old 07-27-04, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DJLinus
Six essay questions today: torts (ultrahazardous activities - never been tested in OH before), crim pro (withdrawing guilty plea, motion for new trial, etc.), corporations (shareholder meetings, proxies, etc.), con law (1A rights of the press), and property (riparian water rights!)
The essays are basically meaningless. The bell curve on that section is huge - partly because the grading is very subjective, and partly because every test-taker has just finished three years of essay exams.

The MPT is similarly pointless - counts for like 1/6th of the exam.

The multistate is really the key in this exam. If you've drilled on a thousand questions, then you both know the material and understand its alternate-universe style (where a "yes" answer is not correctly answered "yes, because (something impossible)", but rather "no, unless (something obviously true).")

Take your time on this tomorrow. It is the make-or-break part of the test. - It's also a lot easier on the carpals.

And if you haven't yet done so, go buy a tin of peppermint Altoids and bring it to the exam with you. It's allowed (ask the proctors if you have any concerns) and it's a great stay-focused aid.
One of my collegues was there today - his third time taking the test. One guy that I clerked with took six tries to pass. That would suck.
It's my belief that if you take your exam prep seriously enough, you're guaranteed to pass. So don't sweat it; just be confident in your work so far.

Best of luck! Looking forward to your post from tomorrow afternoon/evening.

- David Stein
Old 07-27-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by sfsdfd
And if you haven't yet done so, go buy a tin of peppermint Altoids and bring it to the exam with you. It's allowed (ask the proctors if you have any concerns) and it's a great stay-focused aid.
Done. Went to the gas station on the way home from dinner and picked up a tin. What's the story behind these, with regards to the exam? This morning one of my friends was talking about them, saying her mom told her to bring some. She was joking that they are "brain food." Just wondering if they had some benefit, i.e. boosting alertness or something.

Oh, and thanks for the pointers. I'm sick of doing questions, so I'll probably give my outlines for the seven topics covered tomorrow a good once- or twice-over tonight.

(The essay subject that I couldn't remember that was tested today was contracts.)
Old 07-27-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the story behind these, with regards to the exam?
Your friend's mom is right - the smell and taste of peppermint have demonstrable physiologic effects of wakefulness and attentiveness.

Or, just consider it a stupid good-luck charm. I passed the Ohio bar exam two years ago, and I took Altoids into the exam. Follow in my footsteps, son, you won't go wrong...

- David Stein
Old 07-28-04, 04:33 AM

DJLinus
Good Luck! Good Luck! Good Luck!

What bar prep classes did you all take? I'm planning to take the MA bar in February after taking some (actually a lot of) personal time off and was wondering if I should go with the usual BarBri or something else? Any suggestions, advice, or info re personal experience?

Sankya bery much!
Old 07-28-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

A year after I took the Maryland Bar Exam, they changed the weighting of the exam. It was 50/50 on the MBE/Essay (no MPT in MD, thank goodness) when I took it. Now it is 33/67 MBE/Essay.
Old 07-28-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sexymama
What bar prep classes did you all take?
I am a <i>huge</i> proponent of the study-at-home course sequence. I think it's far too easy to tune out during a boring lecture (you've already been doing that for three years ), and the fit between what you need to study and what you <i>are</i> studying is very loose. I think that getting forced into a preset study schedule ("from 12 to 2 we will cover Property; from 2 to 4 we will cover ConLaw") is a completely artificial constraint that wastes your time and energy. - And those courses aren't cheap!

Save yourself some time and money, and optimize your study schedule - just push yourself through it. If you have an ounce of self-starter capability, then you can do it.

I took MicroMash, which basically just dumps about 18 (<b>very</b> detailed) outlines on you. I set a study schedule: second half of May, ConLaw and Criminal Law; in June I covered Contracts, Torts, and Property; etc. And I just stuck to it. I wasn't just reading during this time - I was also drilling, a couple of hours a night, on about a billion multistate exam sample test questions in the same area I was studying. And for both the MPT and the essays, I ran through some practice exercises (MicroMash staffs some people who will review your sample essays and give you pointers.)

It worked <i>gorgeously.</i> My multistate score was in the top 2% of the state, which pretty much nullifies the importance of the essays and MPT.

- David Stein

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.