Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone use one of those memory foam mattress topper things?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-26-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know those things:

"Developed for NASA to provide relief for astronauts undergoing G-forces, this revolutionary "Memory" foam mattress topper immediately responds to your body's heat and molds around you, relieving pressure points and improving circulation. With exceptional therapeutic cushioning and support, you will enjoy a peaceful night's sleep and wake up feeling refreshed and rested."

(Woman not included. )

We just bought a NovaForm Queen sized one from Costco and we're still waiting for the "Memory" foam to "forget" the shape it was vacuum squeeze packed into (so it would fit in the box) and swell up and return to it's full 2 1/2" fluffy size.

It says in the instructions that it can take 24 to 72 hours for it to return to it's original shape. Is that true?

I mean, we can always take it back as Costco always takes ANYTHING back for a cash refund.

Anyone have any experience with these "mattress toppers?"

Will it ever return to it's natural shape?

Do you have one or have something similar?

Tek

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-26-04 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm curious as well.
Old 07-26-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tried one of the pillows from Costco and didn't like it at all. It's too firm and gave me a kink in my neck. If it takes that long for the pad to return to its original shape, does that mean you have to sleep in your dent from the previous night?
Old 07-26-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Roto
I tried one of the pillows from Costco and didn't like it at all. It's too firm and gave me a kink in my neck. If it takes that long for the pad to return to its original shape, does that mean you have to sleep in your dent from the previous night?
I really disliked those pillows too! (...er...uh...I mean ) It's like I couldn't hug it and I had to lay in a constricted way to use it.

Now, what fun is that???

The mattress topper thing was vacuum squeeze packed for who knows how long. But after just "one" night's sleep, it should return to it's original shape. (I hope.)

(It looks like they used the metal press Sara Connors used to squish the Terminator in the first movie! )

We're gonna keep it for at least 72 hours (3 days) and see what happens.

Tonite is the first night we're going to use it. Last night we left it unfolded on the living room floor hoping it would "Forget", but this morning we noticed that it's losing it's memory much slower than we had hoped.

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-26-04 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Last night we left it unfolded on the living room floor hoping it would "Forget", but this morning we noticed that it's losing it's memory much slower than we had hoped.

Let us know how it ends up working out, TEK. I'm curious about getting one of these (well, the wife is the curious one, actually). What do they cost at Costco, anyway?
Old 07-26-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by cultshock

Let us know how it ends up working out, TEK. I'm curious about getting one of these (well, the wife is the curious one, actually). What do they cost at Costco, anyway?
Howdy culty!

I'll let ya know!

In the meantime... Here's the link.

...and here's the prices (from the link):

Valid for orders placed July 26, 2004 through August 1, 2004.

King Topper $133.99
*Less coupon -$25.00
YOUR COST $108.99

Queen Topper $110.99
*Less coupon -$25.00
YOUR COST $85.99

Full Topper $99.99
*Less coupon -$25.00
YOUR COST $74.99

Twin Topper $83.99
*Less coupon -$25.00
YOUR COST $58.99

*The manufacturer's coupon will automatically be deducted at checkout.** No coupon number is needed.

We bought ours "in-store" and didn't get the discount coupon thing.

(If it works out I suppose we could return the one we have and order online...)

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-26-04 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-26-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My parents had the tempurpedic ones and to me it felt really good. Maybe this has nothing to do with sleep quality but when I lay on the bed I would get this very nice feeling of comfort and relaxation like being wrapped in a warm cocoon. A sense of calm and letting go would envelop me.

I think maybe a few times I woke up with a slighly sore lower back but I think that had more to do with my spare tire than the bed(but I could be wrong).

YMMV though.
Old 07-26-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be sure to update this thread in two weeks or so. I'm interested in how these things feel after you've gotten them "worn in".
Old 07-26-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Debaser
My parents had the tempurpedic ones and to me it felt really good. Maybe this has nothing to do with sleep quality but when I lay on the bed I would get this very nice feeling of comfort and relaxation like being wrapped in a warm cocoon. A sense of calm and letting go would envelop me.
WOW! That sounds almost like a spiritual experience or something like one!
I think maybe a few times I woke up with a slighly sore lower back but I think that had more to do with my spare tire than the bed (but I could be wrong). YMMV though.
I too am "Packin' a Spare" and can only imagine what tonight's mattorial experience will be!
Originally posted by Numanoid
Be sure to update this thread in two weeks or so. I'm interested in how these things feel after you've gotten them "worn in".
Okay & will do!

(If we keep it that is! )

Your friend & mine,

Tek

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-26-04 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OMG!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STARTED THIS [email protected]!!!!!!!!1

&

I just bought one at Costco and I was going to start a thread before I opened it. They have a $25 off coupon this week.

OPINIONS PEOPLE!!!!!!11111111111

Last edited by Buford T Pusser; 07-27-04 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I found this while doing research before I started a thread:

http://www.epinions.com/content_127832002180

Space Age Sleeping with the NovaForm
Jan 28 '04 (Updated Feb 01 '04)

Author's Product Rating

Pros
Provides relief for aching body. Comfortable.

Cons
New foam smell for first few days and needs readjusting every few days.

The Bottom Line
Recommended for anybody wanting a little extra "cushion" on the bed. The NovaForm can be used to ease back pain and other sleeping discomforts.

Full Review
After eight years in the military, a broken tail bone and two babies, my back has seen better days. Since my last pregnancy, I've been unable to get comfortable in my own bed and, many nights, end up sleeping propped up on the sofa. Enter The NovaForm Elite Mattress Topper, my Christmas gift from hubby.

What is this thing, you ask?

The Sleep Innovations NovaForm Ultimate (or "Elite" as marketed for Costco) Mattress Topper claims to be the most advanced custom sleep system available. With a not-so-subtle claim such as this, how could you not want to check out this mattress pad? The manufacturers claim that the foam is temperature sensitive and responds to your body heat to mold itself around your body. The pad itself is about two inches high allowing your body to sink slowly into it. The company also claims this pad resists mildew, mold and algae while guarding against odors.

Does this thing really work?

My husband gives this mattress topper a hearty thumbs up. He cannot say enough about how comfortable he is now. However, he does not have back problems and seemed content enough with just our mattress. I needed a little more time to adjust to the strange feeling I had while slowly sinking into the pad. Now that I am accustomed to that sinking feeling, I must admit, I am sleeping much easier. I do think this pad is comfortable. I still have the occasional night of back pain, but those nights of suffering are far fewer now. The pad conforms to my body, easing the pressure on my back, and regains its natural shape once I am out of the bed.

The setup

Some mattress covers are bulky and not always user friendly. The NovaForm is compressed and vacuum sealed. You have to be careful while opening the two bags containing the pad. You don't want to cut the pad itself. Once the pad is released, the pad will uncompress and start to fill out to its natural shape. The pad also comes with a terry velour cover which takes very little effort to put on the pad because it zips up around the topper.

Any drawbacks?

I do have a few complaints about the NovaForm. The pad initially takes about two days to fully inflate or uncompress. For the first few days, I developed slight headaches from the new foam smell, which I found to be a bit overwhelming. My husband, however, said he hardly noticed the smell. The topper is also a bit heavy and needs to be adjusted every few days because the pad begins to slide off the bed.

So, do I recommend this mattress pad?

For the first week, I remained skeptical and would probably have pulled this pad off the bed if my husband didn't love it so much. However, as I adjusted to the feeling of this pad and realized that my back was no longer hurting as much, I found that I began to look forward to sleeping in my bed again. I honestly do not think I'll ever go back to sleeping on just a mattress again. I do recommend the NovaForm for anybody, with or without back problems, who just wants a cushy night sleep.

Recommended
Yes
Old 07-27-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We got one a year ago, some deluxe one off the net. I liked it, although it wasn't quite as good as I was hoping for. My wife hated it though, so we ended up taking it off. Its currently laying on the floor under the bed.
Old 07-27-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love mine. I also have pillows, but I put a layer of folded regular matress pad under them to make them higher - it fits in the pillowcase with them.

The topper comes crushed within an inch of it's life and does take a while to uncrush itself. It does smell for a few days, but it does make my bed more comfortable. I'd say it takes only a few minuts for it to plump up after being crushed for a while, at least most of the way. Maybe it's not completely uncrushed for that long time frame, but it's basically uncrushed quickly.
Old 07-27-04, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We got that one from Costco also. My wife wanted it because she liked the pillow. Its pretty comfy but I have to admit that after the first few days, I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 07-27-04, 10:17 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I've had a couple of the ones they have at Sam's Club. I've had mixed results with them. It worked pretty well on a nice mattress that is just getting old. But it didn't help that much on a hard mattress. My wife talked me into getting a Select Comfort mattress, and she loves it. My Sleep Number is 45.

When we tried out a Select Comfort mattress in the store, I got to try one of the memory foam pillows. I want one of those, but not for the $129 they wanted for one. At some point, I'm probably going to buy a Sensus one off of ebay. Here's a thread that was originally about memory foam pillow deals, but turned into a huge thread about all things memory foam that's been going for over 2 years. http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=798948
Old 07-27-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, after our first night's experience...

IT'S ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!

It's so soft and squengy!

It's almost like sleeping on juicy living tissue! wet jiggly flesh

(Oh, more like 2 1/2" of "Whale Blubber", I suppose...)

So, we give it:

&

!!!YAY FOR US!!!

We might buy a SECOND one just for the extra juicy & (((Blubberish))) feelings!!!

THEEK! (finally got some SLEEP! ) &

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-27-04 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-27-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh man. I want one now. $94 for a full though!? I guess I'll wait .
Old 07-27-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No kidding. I have to top a king, so I won't be getting one anytime soon. I've always wanted the Tempurpedic mattress though. I didn't know they made just a topper for my existing mattress.
Old 07-27-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Trixie and I bought a memory-foam mattress (similar to the Temperpedic, but much cheaper) that has a "traditional" mattress stuffing topper (1-2"). (opposite of what everyone else is doing). On the surface it feels like a regular mattress, but once you lay down... you can tell the difference, and it is heavenly.

It is virtually impossible to stay awake while laying on it for more than 10 minutes... at any time of the day.

I can't believe what a difference the mattress has made in the quality of sleep. Where I used to require 7-8 hours sleep, I only need about 5-6.

I'll get trixie to post the name of the mattress.
Old 07-27-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is what it looks like in it's liner-sack-bag thing:

Doesn't look like much but, MAN! In this case: Size ISN'T everything!

...and guess what?

Our bootie dimples, limbs, legs and even the most sensitive other "boom-boom" areas (AKA: Privates ) that left an impression within the memory foam are slowly disappearing!

Looks like it's "forgetting" a lot faster than when we initially unpacked it from it's original vacuum-suck-sealed & smashed state!

I believe by tonight's beddy-bye-time it will be fully re-inflated for yet another night of soft, sweet (almost in-the-sak-religious), squengy slumber!

!!!YAY!!

You don't KNOW how long it's been since I slept an entire night through! It's been HELL I tells ya!

But, last night, (Thank God!) I FINALLY Did, and I FEEL GREAT!!!

BUT WAIT...

Don't take MY word for it!

WOAH NO!!!

Buy one and try it for yourself for a FULL 30 DAYS! And if your not COMPLETELY SATISFIED, return it to Costco for a FULL CASH REFUND!

(No smilie was harmed during the making of this post)

Tek

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-27-04 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-27-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, the difference is indeed that dramatic.
Old 07-27-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by sracer
Yes, the difference is indeed that dramatic.
& &
Old 07-27-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I bought a sleep number bed, and my back still hurt when I woke up. Got one of the Costco memory foam pads and the problem was solved. Be sure to buy sheets for extra deep beds or sheets that are one size up (for example, I use queen sheets on my full size bed) since they make the mattress really thick.

tasha
Old 07-27-04, 01:47 PM

How is the Blubber smell?
Old 07-27-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by tasha99
Be sure to buy sheets for extra deep beds or sheets that are one size up (for example, I use queen sheets on my full size bed) since they make the mattress really thick. tasha
tasha's right, everybody!

If you don't, it really stretches the elastic (on the fitted sheets) and can make it "POP-UP" unexpectedly, kinda like when your trying to adjust a tube top on a yawning & stretching, well endowed woman... (AKA Thread Entitled: "Thanks for the Mammaries" *cough* shameless Edit King Thread plug *cough*...)

Besides, it's important because you don't want your bed's "slip" showing tawdry when guests arrive!

Originally posted by Moefuscious
How is the Blubber smell?
We didn't notice any "blubberish odor" (that many complain about) other than the packing air it came in. Once it had a chance to breathe, it smelled just as clean & fresh as a recently bathed Buxom Babe!

THEEK!

Last edited by The Edit King; 07-27-04 at 02:14 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.