Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Clean Shaven Men: Do you shave your face before or after you shower?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-30-04, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, for the last year or so, I've had a beard that I've trimmed with a beard trimmer. Pretty soon, I will be starting a job where I'm pretty sure that it's expected that I be clean shaven. When I do shave, I use a razor as opposed to an electric shaver.

So my question to men who shave with a razor, do you do it before or after you shower? I usually do it before, but was wondering if there's a "correct" time to do it. Thanks!

Oh, and please, no "shaving down there" jokes...
Old 06-30-04, 06:50 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

before or during, not sure if there is a correct time to do it.
Old 06-30-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always shave afterwards. I'm not awake enough to handle sharp objects until I have showered.
Old 06-30-04, 06:52 PM
Cool New Member

I normally shave after or during the shower. The heat from the steam/water softens the hairs for a smoother shave.
Old 06-30-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After shower, the heat/water/steam softens up the whiskers.
Old 06-30-04, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

in the shower
Old 06-30-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the shower for me.
Old 06-30-04, 07:00 PM
Suspended

before
Old 06-30-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
during.
Old 06-30-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

During.
Old 06-30-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before.
Old 06-30-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After.
Old 06-30-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In the shower.

I just wish I was able to grow a full beard. I hate this shaving every day shit.
Old 06-30-04, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Before usually, but sometimes after or during.
Old 06-30-04, 07:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You people who shave in the shower - you don't have water shortages or any need to save water?
Old 06-30-04, 07:11 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shaving 101 for men
Shaving 101

There is something mystical about a close shave that can be compared to the perfect game in baseball or the perfect swing in golf. This skill remains elusive to most men, but it doesn’t have to be so rare. Follow these simple steps to get the best shave you ever had...

Take a shower.

Now, we know you were going to do that anyway but were you going to do it before, during, or after you shave? The best time to shave is during the shower but after will work just fine. The reason for this is so that the warm water and steam help to open the pores and soften your beard. If you happen to shave after your shower, continue to use warm (as warm as you can comfortably stand) water the whole time throughout the process.

Scrub your face.

This may sound harsh but an exfoliating scrub sloughs off the dead skin cells and exposes more of the hair follicle. This will let you get closer to the root when shaving and result in a closer, more comfortable shave.

Lube up.

You may want to try a pre-shave lubricant before applying any sort of shave cream. A pre-shave lubricant adds an extra layer of protection and are formulated to help the hair follicle stand up straighter. A great one to try is the Pre Shave Oil by e Shave or the Unique Shave Solution by Mont Source. These oils must be massaged into the beard area before applying shave cream.

Lather up.

There a many options to choose from for lubing the beard before taking a razor to it and it is really a matter of personal preference. We suggest using a badger shave brush in circular motions to apply any type of shaving cream. It helps the hair follicle to stand up straight so the razor can come straight through it with less drag. Be sure to apply in upward motions if you are using your hands. With a shave brush, circular strokes are the way to go.

Shave it.

The hair on your face grows in different directions on different parts of the face and it is important to know how yours grows. The best technique is to shave with the grain (in the same direction the hair grows) using a sharp blade. Short strokes. Rinse the razor often. If you have a thicker beard, you may go back over rough areas against the grain. This will smooth things out with minimal irritation.

Finish it.

After you have shaved to your satisfaction and rinsed off the excess, you are not done. An after shave will do wonders to soothe and protect the skin. There are several ways to go here, as well. If you tend to have oily skin, you should go with a toner and then a light product like an aftershave balm. If your skin is more toward the “combination” (dry in spots and oily in others) variety, a toner followed by an aftershave lotion would be appropriate. For those who want to moisturize, you can select the a lotion or a cream. If you have sensitive skin, the fragrance free e Shave Aftershave Soother is a perfect choice. This is a matter of preference and skin type, but these are all fast penetrating products that leave the skin feeling smooth and cool without leaving the face greasy or clogging the pores.

If you heed this advice, it will give you the best shave ever and make shaving more enjoyable than you thought it could be, so good luck and happy shaving. Remember: Close counts in this game.
I also found this...
link
Avoid shaving when first getting up after sleep as body fluids make the skin puffy making it more difficult to shave the hair. After 20 or 30 minutes the skin becomes more taut so the hair shaft is more exposed making it easier to shave.
Old 06-30-04, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most people will tell you that IN or AFTER is the only way to do it... the steam/hot water softens the hairs and makes shaving easier. I'm an AFTER.

I couldn't even contemplate doing it before. Yikes!

And, if you're in the market for a new razor, might I suggest http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=341553
Old 06-30-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I shave after I shower for the aforementioned reasons. Years ago, I used to do the old wash the face with hot water/keeping a hot washcloth on my face routine, but the results weren't as satisfactory or as comforting (too much drag/friction and more nicks and cuts).

I've tried shaving in the shower, but it's a bit of a hassle, with the excess shaving gel and whiskers dripping down on my other extremities and such....
Old 06-30-04, 07:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

usually in the shower. sometimes after
Old 06-30-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

always in the shower
i feel like i get a much better shave that way
Old 06-30-04, 07:26 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What about the folks who use electric shavers?

I'd love to use a blade, but my skin is really sensitive so its a bit painful. Any good tips?
Old 06-30-04, 07:31 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by bboisvert
Most people will tell you that IN or AFTER is the only way to do it... the steam/hot water softens the hairs and makes shaving easier. I'm an AFTER.

I couldn't even contemplate doing it before. Yikes!
I use electic shavers and I've found that all the ones I've used have caused razor bumps galore after I had taken a shower. Whereas if I shave before I shower they dont appear. And no I dont use a $20 POS electic razor
Old 06-30-04, 07:33 PM

I'm a creature of habit I have been and always will be a before person.
Old 06-30-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I shave after shower.
Old 06-30-04, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the morning and before a shower.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.