Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Florida Girl's Abduction Caught On Tape (suspect charged, girl's body found)

Other Talk "Otterville"

Florida Girl's Abduction Caught On Tape (suspect charged, girl's body found)

Old 02-03-04, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florida Girl's Abduction Caught On Tape

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/2813432/deta...102032004&ts=H

POSTED: 7:10 a.m. EST February 3, 2004
UPDATED: 10:58 a.m. EST February 3, 2004

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Police say the kidnapping of a Florida girl was apparently caught on tape.

The Sarasota County Sheriff's office says a surveillance camera behind a car wash caught sixth-grader Carlie Brucia being led away Sunday evening by a white male in his late 20s or early 30s.

She was walking home from a friend's house, and the abduction was caught by an automatic camera.

Sgt. Paul Richard said the business was closed, and Carlie was walking past as a short cut home.

Officers began searching for the 11-year-old Sunday evening -- but didn't receive the video camera's record until Monday afternoon.

The video caught the man walking up to the girl, talking to her for a few seconds, then grabbing her forearm and leading her away.

Richard says Carlie didn't seem to know the man, who was wearing what appeared to be a mechanic's shirt with a name patch.

Carlie, who is about 5 feet tall and 120 pounds, has blond hair and blue eyes. She was last seen wearing a red top and blue jeans, and carrying a pink backpack.

Her mother said, "She's loving. She's caring. She's silly. She's sweet. And she needs to come home."

They need to catch this piece of shit as soon as possible. I hope she's okay. Thank God for the camera, they should be able to get a good composite of this guy.

Chris
Old 02-03-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daughter is only 8, but the similarity between her and this girl is uncanny. They look like sisters. It hit me very hard when I saw her picture on the News this morning. I hope she's found alive.
Old 02-03-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 427 Likes on 276 Posts
On CSI they can take a little photo like that, focus in on the patch on his shirt and see exactly what it says in incredibly clear detail. Why don't they just do that?
Old 02-03-04, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by General Zod
On CSI they can take a little photo like that, focus in on the patch on his shirt and see exactly what it says in incredibly clear detail. Why don't they just do that?
They have probably / are doing it now, as we speak. They will catch this guy. The only important question is how this girl is doing. If this guy see's his picture on the tv, he will be less likely to hurt the girl and just accept his fate (a self inflicted bullet in the head).

Chris
Old 02-03-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Find him and punish him.
Old 02-03-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a scumbag.
I hope they find her safe.
Old 02-03-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's up with this news site? Instead of a nice big photo of the guy, which may actually lead to someone recognizing him, all we get is a picture of the girl, who most likely isn't walking around somewhere.
Old 02-03-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the other Las Vegas show (the one on NBC) they can "push" and rotate the image to actually peer inside his pocket and read his name off his driver's license.

As a father of a ten-year-old girl:

FIND THIS ***HOLE AND CUT HIS NADS OFF!!!

Oh, and put him in prison for a very very very long time.
Old 02-03-04, 12:14 PM

Here's some more info!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ing-girl_x.htm

Posted 2/3/2004 8:23 AM Updated 2/3/2004 11:39 AM

Parents of missing Sarasota girl plead for her return
SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) The parents of an 11-year-old girl whose apparent abduction was videotaped by a security camera pleaded on national television Tuesday for her safe return, as the FBI and state officers joined the investigation.

Police released a video of Carlie Brucia, 11, being led from the rear of a car wash in Sarasota, Fla., Sunday, by a white male wearing some type of uniform shirt.
AP

Carlie Brucia was walking home from a friend's house Sunday evening when a surveillance camera at a car wash showed a white man in his late 20s or early 30s approach the blond, blue-eyed girl, speak to her for a few seconds, grab her by the arm and lead her away. An Amber Alert was issued Monday.

Her father, Joe Brucia, said police told him that they have interviewed some people but have no prime suspect.

"To the man who abducted her, you've done a considerable amount of damage," Brucia said on NBC's Today. "Please stop. Release my daughter. Let her go. With some help and some love she can heal. Give us back our daughter."

Carlie's mother, Susan Schorpen, said: "We desperately need her. Please release Carlie. Please give me my baby."

An FBI agent was sent to assist the Sarasota County sheriff's office and others may be assigned to the case, FBI spokeswoman Sara Oates said Tuesday. "We are offering our assistance and anything they need to locate her," Oates said.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement also assigned an agent to the case, spokesman Larry Long said.

Evie's Car Wash was closed at 6:20 p.m. Sunday when its surveillance camera caught the man approaching Carlie, who was walking behind the business taking a short cut home. She did not appear to know the man, who was wearing a mechanic's shirt with a name patch on the chest. Her parents don't recognize him.

Her stepfather, Steven Kansler, had driven to the area to give her a ride home. When he didn't find her, he called the Sarasota County Sheriff's office about 6:30 p.m. and a search began.

Carlie is a sixth-grader at McIntosh Middle School, where principal Robert Hagemann said security had been increased and counselors were meeting with students, many of whom were sad, frightened and shocked.

Hagemann said school officials were being encouraged to "think optimistically and have a plan to celebrate and to also have a plan if the news is tragic."

Sarasota is about 45 miles south of Tampa on Florida's Gulf Coast.

Chris
Old 02-03-04, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mainly, because CSI is a TV show.

Secondly, because you can only blow up something based on the original resolution. You can smooth stuff out by having a computer guess what should be there, but if the resolution was low (as it problay was) then you'll just end up with a smooth blob.

D
Old 02-03-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
That's why I'm for high-res security cameras. As technology gets better, they will get cheaper.

I hope they catch this guy. This kind of a weird case. Was he an employee or someone who stole a uniform. Was the business closed the entire day or just a little while before the girl came on the scene.
Old 02-03-04, 12:28 PM

when i saw the video this morning, they said it was a video camera behind a car wash. the outfit that the guy was wearing looked like it was one of the kind that the car wash people wear.
they have a decent picture of the guy on the video, should find him soon.
Old 02-03-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Carlie Brucia was walking home from a friend's house Sunday evening when a surveillance camera at a car wash showed a white man in his late 20s or early 30s approach the blond, blue-eyed girl, speak to her for a few seconds, grab her by the arm and lead her away."

Why the hell would her parents let her walk home alone by herself ? She's 11 !
My daughter is almost 13 and I wouldn't let her walk home alone from anywhere.
Old 02-03-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Derrich
Mainly, because CSI is a TV show.

Secondly, because you can only blow up something based on the original resolution. You can smooth stuff out by having a computer guess what should be there, but if the resolution was low (as it problay was) then you'll just end up with a smooth blob.

D
Dude, you should know by now that ANY blurred insignia/landmark/license plate can be made clear by pressing the "enhance" button. Doesn't your computer have it?
Old 02-03-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Struz
"Carlie Brucia was walking home from a friend's house Sunday evening when a surveillance camera at a car wash showed a white man in his late 20s or early 30s approach the blond, blue-eyed girl, speak to her for a few seconds, grab her by the arm and lead her away."

Why the hell would her parents let her walk home alone by herself ? She's 11 !
My daughter is almost 13 and I wouldn't let her walk home alone from anywhere.
I think the article posted above mentions that the father was suposed to pick her up and couldn't find her. Who knows if he was late and she decided to walk on her own or what. I admit to being at least 15 minutes late to pick up my kids, but they know to wait for me.
Old 02-03-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From CNN:
Old 02-03-04, 01:16 PM

I watched this video on Good Morning America today. I thought it was kind of weird. She doesn't look like she is being forced to go with him, but there is a part where he turns around and puts something in his pocket and I wondered if he had a weapon?

The whole exchange just happens really quickly, but something about it seemed pretty strange.

He doesn't have a car nearby and they were out in broad daylight. How did he know she would be walking then? He would have had to formulate his plan pretty quickly once he saw some random girl on the street.
Old 02-03-04, 01:19 PM
Premium Member

Old 02-03-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Jadzia,

Yeah, I know. It is weird. But he does seem to have a hand around her wrist, which would indicate a forceful incentive, versus hand-in-hand, like a secret boyfriend.
Old 02-03-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems to me that he is holding something in his right hand in the photo. Appears to be a black object about 10-14 inches in length. Seems consistent with a handgun barrell or some handclub in shape.
Old 02-03-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
anywhere to view this that doesn't require "CNN Superpass?"
Old 02-03-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 427 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Dude, you should know by now that ANY blurred insignia/landmark/license plate can be made clear by pressing the "enhance" button. Doesn't your computer have it?
Exactly. The image looked terrbile once it was blown up, but this one lab dude pushed this one enhance button and it showed up clear as can be!

And I don't believe for one second that a TV show would try and pull the wool over their audiences eyes by showing a technology that isn't real. I mean, please...
Old 02-03-04, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

foxnews.com has it

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,110283,00.html
Old 02-03-04, 02:19 PM

I cannot stress how important it was that there was a survelliance camera where it was. Just think if there wasn't one and it didn't capture this footage. This story and her abduction would never have made the news. There would have been no witnesses and they might have thought that she had run away.

People may not like cameras in public areas, but I'm all for it. If you're not doing anything wrong, then you should have no problem with the camera's. The authorities have no interest in innocent people, they have enough criminals to worry about!

Chris
Old 02-03-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
foxnews.com has it

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,110283,00.html

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.