Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread (merged)

Old 03-04-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread (merged)

Hopslam only comes once a year, I try to stock up but it never last. I'm taking a 6 pack with me to Phish @ Hampton this weekend. It will be a special time.
Old 03-04-09, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
That is why i have to drive across the river to Ohio to buy it. WV has ridiculous blue laws. That is where i have to go to pick up Weyerbacher's stuff (which btw i pimp at every opportunity because i like it so much) due to abv.
I wish I was that close to the border.

Just last Sunday my wife experienced our wonderful blue laws for the first time. She went grocery shopping around noon and decided to get a six-pack of Harp for me as a treat. The cashier gave her a nasty look and said, "You know you can't buy this until after 2pm".

It's my understanding that some states are trying to repeal their Sunday alcohol sales laws to increase tax revenue in the current economy. Hopefully WV will follow their lead.
Old 03-04-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 10-7 View Post
I wish I was that close to the border.

Just last Sunday my wife experienced our wonderful blue laws for the first time. She went grocery shopping around noon and decided to get a six-pack of Harp for me as a treat. The cashier gave her a nasty look and said, "You know you can't buy this until after 2pm".

It's my understanding that some states are trying to repeal their Sunday alcohol sales laws to increase tax revenue in the current economy. Hopefully WV will follow their lead.
Yeah i had that experience as well.

Thankfully i am right on the border. I can literally see the river separating WV and Ohio from my house. Many parts of Marietta and Belpre Ohio are closer to me than some the same stores on my side of the river.
Old 03-04-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damnnit this thread is making me want the weekend to get here quicker. I need me some tasty beer. I'm going to be trying this first thing Friday evening:

Old 03-04-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crap, totally spaced and forgot i have meetings after work this week. I won't make it to the store by closing until Saturday. I wonder if they will even have any left by then.
Old 03-09-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tried this tasty porter Saturday night at Foran's in the D. It was delicious (if you like vanilla).

For all of you Kentucky Breakfast Stout fans, here's some details on when and which states will carry it as well as a video of their underground tunnel where the beer is aged.

Last edited by steebo777; 03-09-09 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 07:45 PM

[QUOTEOn something of a sidenote, I've become a recent admirer of Imperial IPAs and would welcome any recommendations. For comparison, I found the Mendocino Imperial IPA to be outstanding.[/QUOTE]

I recently had a Moylan's Hopsickle. It's a Triple IPA, and is incredible. I also bought a couple bottles of Southern Tier's Unearthly IPA.

Both of those are highly recommended.

Steebo777, I have one of those Great Divide glasses. We got it at the brewery/tap room at Great Divide. I love drinking their Hibernation out of it!! Hercules is quite spectacular, though. It's been a while since I've had one.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-23-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Had my first Two Hearted Ale over the weekend. Enjoyed it very much.
Old 03-23-09, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by duse View Post
I recently had a Moylan's Hopsickle. It's a Triple IPA, and is incredible.
Thanks for the tip on Moylan's Hopsickle. I'll have to track that down in my area....
Old 03-23-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
Tried this tasty porter Saturday night at Foran's in the D. It was delicious (if you like vanilla).

MMMMM That looks good! A local bar just got Vanilla Java Porter and it is awsome!

Old 03-23-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Had my first Two Hearted Ale over the weekend. Enjoyed it very much.

It is up to $11 a six pack here. The Hopslam recently jumped to $18! At those prices, it wasn't hard to give it up for Lent.
Old 03-24-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Sebring98 View Post
Yes, the law in Alabama is you can't buy beer that is stronger than 6% ABV. There's also a container size restriction ("All beer, except draft or keg beer, sold by retailers must be sold or dispensed in bottles, cans or other containers not to exceed one pint or 16 ounces." ). It's beyond dumb. There are no laws against wine or spirits. I can buy Everclear, but I can't buy Chimay. Fucking gay.

www.freethehops.org
Sebring, you may find it of interest to know that this Wednesday a bill is being voted on to change our ridiculous laws. Some light reading:
http://www.auburnbrewclub.org/wp-con.../sb492-int.pdf

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this passes, otherwise I'll probably never get the chance to try out 99% of the beers in this thread.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This bill is for homebrewing. I guess the one specifically for higher ABV gourmet brews is still to come. Still, it's nice to know someone is out there fighting for some change.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 03-24-09 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-24-09, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
The Hopslam recently jumped to $18! At those prices, it wasn't hard to give it up for Lent.
Hopslam is still $15.99 in the Chicago suburbs, but it's becoming harder to find as inventories disappear. I did locate a place with a few cases left last week and picked up two sixers.

How long they last is another story altogether...
Old 03-24-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, Hopslam is still about $14 here, but it is going fast. I stocked up on a few sixers to crack open this summer.

Anyone anywhere find Kentucky Breakfast Stout? I barely got 2 4packs before they sold out at most of the places by me last week. Some places wanted $22 or more for a 4pack... that's too much IMO. But it is damn tasty

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
MMMMM That looks good! A local bar just got Vanilla Java Porter and it is awsome!

That is form Atwater, which is local to the Detroit area, and I agree, it is really good. Probably my favorite beer they brew.

Last edited by steebo777; 03-24-09 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 08:20 PM

What does everyone think of Yuengling? Is this worth marking my calendar for?

Yuengling Beer to be Sold in West Virginia
Posted Tuesday, March 24, 2009 ; 02:58 PM | View Comments | Post Comment

Company officials are waiting for state approval.
Yuengling has announced that it will soon start selling its beer in West Virginia.

The beer, brewed in Pottsville, Pa., has long been available in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

"We get lots of interesting stories from people about how they get their beer, but our size as a regional brewery limits the places we can sell," says Yuengling Chief Operating Officer David Casinelli.

The response so far from wholesalers, distributors and potential customers in West Virginia has been phenomenal, says Casinelli.

Yuengling officials say customers should start seeing the beer on store shelves by the beginning of May.

The state has to first approve Yuengling's brand and its network of wholesalers before sales can start.

The company will use Anheuser-Busch wholesalers to distribute its products in West Virginia.

The beer will be launched throughout the state at the same time.

Copyright 2009 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved.
Old 03-24-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Draught pairs very well with pizza, in my experience. I have never had it out of the bottle.
Old 03-25-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

We picked up some Yuengling on trip through PA last summer. It was my first time having it, and I thought it was pretty tasty.

Definitely worth checking out.
Old 03-25-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yuengling Lager has been available in Pennsylvania for 15+ years I had no idea it was not available in West Virginia, and I'm even more surprised as it is available up and down the east coast.

Lager is a very good cheap beer as is the Porter and the Black and Tan; the rest is not so good IMHO.

The Yuengling Lager is what put them on the map, before that they were just a local brewery, now they are the second largest brewery based in the United States. (Which is pretty sad.)
Old 03-25-09, 12:03 PM

We can't get Yuengling in Ohio, either. Friends that frequently visit PA often bring it back for us. I live just over an hour from Erie, PA and the first time I'd ever seen Yuengling was on a trip to DC about 3 years ago. It's now a staple in our beer fridge, but their distribution is odd to say the least.

Thanks for the suggestion of Hopslam. We found some at the local beverage store for $17.99. I wouldn't have taken the chance without the conversation here.
BTW, for those of you in the general vicinity of Cleveland- it's Bell's beer week at Buckeye Beer Engine. From their site:http://buckeyebeerengine.com/

BELLS BREWERY’ WEEK NOW IN PROGRESS - ‘CASK’ OF HOPSLAM Saturday!

DRAFT BELLS BEER NOW ON TAP
Consecrator Doppelbock
Hopslam
Expedition Stout ‘08
Expedition Stout ‘09
Double Cream Stout
Best Brown
Cherry Stout
Two Hearted Ale
Amber
Lager of the Lakes
Pale Ale
Third Coast Beer

Saturday, the 28th - Hopslam (Cask)
(Just called about the Friday/Saturday confusion on their site and learned that it will be tapped on Saturday. It'll go fast.)

NOT CONFIRMED, BUT PROBABLE - SUNDAY, MARCH 29th - Stay Tuned - Sunday evening, Midnight, technically Monday, we will be the first bar in Ohio to tap Bells Oberon.

Last edited by Renee; 03-25-09 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Called to confirm date of Hopslam cask.
Old 03-25-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ironically, I will be at the first bar in the nation to tap it...Bell's. One of the benefits of living in Kalamazoo...perhaps the only one.
Old 03-25-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oberon is the perfect summer beer.
Old 03-25-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone wants any Boulevard Beer products, please PM me.....
Old 03-25-09, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Renee View Post
NOT CONFIRMED, BUT PROBABLE - SUNDAY, MARCH 29th - Stay Tuned - Sunday evening, Midnight, technically Monday, we will be the first bar in Ohio to tap Bells Oberon.
Does this mean for 2009, or ever? I swear I've had it at Dewey's Pizza in Cincinnati (which wouldn't classify as a "bar", if they are being especially picky), but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Bell's is a mainstay on their tap list, one of the few local places where I have found Two Hearted Ale.

Oberon is one of two reasons I hop across the river to Bar Louie in Newport, KY almost every Wednesday (which is dollar burger night, the other reason). I guess I'm going tonight, just in case.

EDIT: Or not. Damn it! Lent!
Old 03-25-09, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Draught pairs very well with pizza, in my experience. I have never had it out of the bottle.
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
We picked up some Yuengling on trip through PA last summer. It was my first time having it, and I thought it was pretty tasty.

Definitely worth checking out.
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Yuengling Lager has been available in Pennsylvania for 15+ years I had no idea it was not available in West Virginia, and I'm even more surprised as it is available up and down the east coast.

Lager is a very good cheap beer as is the Porter and the Black and Tan; the rest is not so good IMHO.

The Yuengling Lager is what put them on the map, before that they were just a local brewery, now they are the second largest brewery based in the United States. (Which is pretty sad.)
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
We can't get Yuengling in Ohio, either. Friends that frequently visit PA often bring it back for us. I live just over an hour from Erie, PA and the first time I'd ever seen Yuengling was on a trip to DC about 3 years ago. It's now a staple in our beer fridge, but their distribution is odd to say the least.
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the Black and Tan first. I tried Saranac Black and Tan last weekend and wasn't very impressed.
Old 03-27-09, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Sebring, you may find it of interest to know that this Wednesday a bill is being voted on to change our ridiculous laws. Some light reading:
http://www.auburnbrewclub.org/wp-con.../sb492-int.pdf

I'm keeping my fingers crossed this passes, otherwise I'll probably never get the chance to try out 99% of the beers in this thread.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. This bill is for homebrewing. I guess the one specifically for higher ABV gourmet brews is still to come. Still, it's nice to know someone is out there fighting for some change.

It still has to pass the Senate floor.. Which is where it got held up last year.

The Steps to Freeing The Hops via HB373:

1. Introduction of the Gourmet Beer Bill (HB373) Complete! (2/5)
2. Pass the House Tourism & Travel committee Complete! (2/18)
3. Pass the House floor Complete! (3/3)
4. Pass the Senate Tourism & Marketing committee Complete! (3/11)
5. Pass the Senate floor
6. Signature by the Governor

Unfortunately, I've heard Riley will not sign it if it does pass the Senate. I hope this person is incorrect.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.