Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread (merged)

Old 02-25-09, 07:24 PM

Re: The Official "Great Beer" thread (merged)

Originally Posted by Moopher View Post
Yeah, Corona does the same thing to me. Landshark was also great because I got a 12-bottle case for $8.
Old 02-25-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Doesn't even matter, tasted really good to me and it was good, it also wasn't some boo gnar gnar beer.

Originally Posted by 10-7 View Post
Old 02-25-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bought a 6 pack of this tonight. Excellent beer with just enough of a berry hint to make it stand out from other wheats.

Old 02-26-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man I love me some Yuengling
Old 03-03-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always liked Smithwicks, but recently my mom got me a case of it for my birthday. Damn, that is really, really good stuff.

Currently I always keep four beers on hand (Fat Tire, Bass, Old Speckled Hen and Guinness). Then I have two to three seasonal or guest beers I rotate. I think I'm going to stop keeping the Bass on hand and go with the Smithwicks.

Costco near me is stocking the Smithwicks not....$27.XX a case. Pretty good.
Old 03-03-09, 03:48 PM

Smithwicks is pretty good, but I tend to only drink it on tap. There are a a lot of "soccer bars" in the area that tend to all have the same taps - Bass, Guinness, Carlsberg, Stella, Pilsner Urquell, Smithwicks, & Harp. Of those I really only like Bass and Smithwicks, so I alternate.

There are so many really good English, Scottish, and Irish ales, but try to find them on tap in most places...
Old 03-03-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not available to anyone not in the region, but a local/regional restaurant/brewery here (Iron Hill, locations in DE and PA) just released a bourbon-barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout that is one of the best beers I've ever had.

http://www.ironhillbrewery.com/monthly-releases.htm
Old 03-03-09, 04:07 PM

I would be willing to bet the Louisville, KY-based Bluegrass Brewing Company's bourbon barrel stout is as good as any beer of that style to be found anywhere.
Old 03-03-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I would be willing to bet that Founders Brewing Company makes the best bourbon barrel aged stout. Their Kentucky Breakfast Stout is something every beer drinker should taste.

The best stout would be Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout released once a year located in Indiana. You will never taste a better stout.
Old 03-03-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been getting into Magic Hat beers lately, especially #9.
Old 03-03-09, 05:56 PM
Banned

I've fallen in love with the Surly brewery here in MPLS.

I was lucky enough to get to try a bottle of their annual Darkness batch this last fall. It was sublime.

Old 03-03-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by steebo777 View Post
And I would be willing to bet that Founders Brewing Company makes the best bourbon barrel aged stout. Their Kentucky Breakfast Stout is something every beer drinker should taste.

The best stout would be Three Floyds Dark Lord Imperial Stout released once a year located in Indiana. You will never taste a better stout.
I had the pleasure of drinking about 2/3 of a bottle of that a year or so ago. It had been aged about a year too.

Best damn beer i have ever had. I seriously had goosebumps it was so good.

Martini (kakihari on DVDTalk) had the rest of the bottle so he could probably chime in as well.

I have yet to have the Kentucky Breakfast stout due to it selling out almost instantly in my area.

I can't recommend Heretic by Weyerbacher (based out of PA) enough. It is a fantastic russian imperial stout that is then aged in bourbon casks.
Old 03-03-09, 07:43 PM

I'm drinking a Saranac Imperial Stout now. The local market was clearing them out at $2.99 a sixer. Only bought two cases, because I did not want to hog them. Very nice on an evening like this. I had the pleasure of sampling the Founder's Bourbon Kentucky Breakfast Stout in 2007 at WBF in Durham. We (SC) got Founder's late last year, but did not receive any of the Kentucky Bourbon Stout. I did have a growler of their Dirty Bastard over the weekend. One of the best RIS I have had is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy.

Here is a blurb on the KBS. Good news for some, but maybe not SC.

Founders Releases Popular Kentucky Breakfast Stout

(GRAND RAPIDS, Mich) - It is a well-celebrated annual tradition - one that results in pilgrimages by die-hard craft beer lovers from throughout the Midwest - that is simply known as the release of Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS). Each March, Founders Brewing Company in Grand Rapids, Mich., releases its rich, barrel-aged brew in limited, high-demanded quantities.

Rated as an A / A+ by most major beer reviewers - and considered by some to be one of the Top 5 brews of its kind in the country - this Imperial Stout is well worth the wait. Only 1400 cases (33,600 bottles) will be sold in 2009, a slight increase over 2008.

"We are limited by the size of our brewing facility," says Mike Stevens, Founders Brewing President. "By 2010, we plan to increase our production of Kentucky Breakfast...but it will still be significantly short of its demand."

Kentucky Breakfast Stout is brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates, before being aged a full year in oak bourbon barrels from Kentucky. These barrels are then stored 100 feet in the ground, in the caves of nearby gypsum mines, before returning to the tanks to be finished and bottled. KBS is a very labor intensive beer, requiring additional precision and devotion.

"While all of our beers are made with 100% pure deliciousness, I am personally drawn to the smell of the bourbon barrels," says Alec Mull, Director of Brewing Operations. "The wood and bourbon flavors and aromas that surround the barrels become firmly entrenched in the fabric of the beer, and the chocolate and coffee find harmony with them. All of the characters are very distinct. While you can experience each independently, they also manage to work very well together and form a melded collage of flavor."

Kentucky Breakfast Stout is available in limited quantities in 10 states and retails in 4-packs for $20.

"KBS is indeed an extraordinary beer," Alec says. "We feel very lucky to be able to make this beer and are excited that everyone likes it so much."

Founders Brewing Company, 235 Grandville Avenue SW in downtown Grand Rapids, is a proud member of the Michigan Brewers Guild. www.michiganbrewersguild.org.

Last edited by duse; 03-03-09 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife bought me a bottle for my birthday last year. I've been aging it since, but you are making it hard to keep doing so.
Old 03-04-09, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goblincat View Post
My wife bought me a bottle for my birthday last year. I've been aging it since, but you are making it hard to keep doing so.
Oh man, i am jealous.
Old 03-04-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Bell's Hopslam - sweet mother of all things wonderful
Drink a bottle and prepare to be happy...

This was a first time for me spending $15.99 on a six-pack, but I am officially hooked.
Old 03-04-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post

This was a first time for me spending $15.99 on a six-pack, but I am officially hooked.
I had it on tap at Bell's in Kzoo and out of a furken at Hop Cat in Grand Rapids over the weekend and was absolutely amazed how much better it tastes than out of the bottle.
*Side note: Anyone in the SE Michigan Area: Value Center at I75 and 14mile has Hopslam for $13.99 a sixer until this Sunday 3.8.

I was at the Michigan Winter Beer Festival this past weekend in Grand Rapids and had the pleasure of the first 2009 barrels of Kentucky Breakfast Stout being poured at the festival. It was the only beer I went back for a second glass of at the entire festival, it was that good. Last year I was not as impressed as this years. The only other line that was longer than Founders at the whole festival was Short's Brewing Company. IMO, it will probably become the most popular brewery in Michigan outside of Bells within the year. Hopefully they will start distributing soon so I don't have to drive 3hrs up north to taste the goodness.
Old 03-04-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I had it on tap at Bell's in Kzoo and out of a furken at Hop Cat in Grand Rapids over the weekend and was absolutely amazed how much better it tastes than out of the bottle.
I've read the same sentiment elsewhere.
Sadly, I don't think anywhere in my area (sw burbs of Chicago) has it on tap - at least that I'm aware of.

In the meantime, bottle it is.

On something of a sidenote, I've become a recent admirer of Imperial IPAs and would welcome any recommendations. For comparison, I found the Mendocino Imperial IPA to be outstanding.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-04-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On something of a sidenote, I've become a recent admirer of Imperial IPAs and would welcome any recommendations. For comparison, I found the Mendocino Imperial IPA to be outstanding.
Hercules Great Divide IPA
Old 03-04-09, 10:57 AM

These three are the ones I've "experienced" the most:

Avery Maharaja
Hoppin' Frog Mean Manalishi
Dogfish Head 90 Minute
Old 03-04-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did this just drop? I have been trying to get a sixer of this for 2 years now and the only beer store vaguely near me that gets them in gets a couple cases and sells out of them almost as they are bringing them off the truck. I really want to see and test how much i like hops.

edit: Just called my local place and they have a few cases of this in stock. I will be heading there after work and pick up a single sixer. Unfortunately it is 18$ a sixer there.

Last edited by xmiyux; 03-04-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Did this just drop?
No clue.
I had read about it recently, and I just happened to see it in the local Binny's this past Saturday. They had a pretty large amount in stock.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-04-09 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 11:24 AM
Banned

Been drinking the Hopslam for the last couple of weeks as well. Such a delicious beer.
Old 03-04-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
edit: Just called my local place and they have a few cases of this in stock. I will be heading there after work and pick up a single sixer. Unfortunately it is 18$ a sixer there.
Well, I guess my $15.99 isn't sounding so bad.

Bear in mind it is 10% abv - so proceed with caution...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-04-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-04-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I guess my $15.99 isn't sounding so bad.

Bear in mind it is 10% abv, too.
That is why i have to drive across the river to Ohio to buy it. WV has ridiculous blue laws. That is where i have to go to pick up Weyerbacher's stuff (which btw i pimp at every opportunity because i like it so much) due to abv.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.