Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Official "Great Beer" thread (merged)

Old 08-31-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post
I absolutely hated the GL Edmund Fitzgerald. It was the only one of the six I couldn't even choke down.
I can't believe anyone would suggest you jump from Coors Light to a porter. As I mentioned above, the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold or Eliot Ness would be better starting points.

Holy Moses might not be your cup of tea if you didn't like Blue Moon. There are similarities, but Holy Moses is infinitely better (or, as a waitress who recently discovered it once told me, "It's like Blue Moon...but good!").
Old 08-31-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
I can't believe anyone would suggest you jump from Coors Light to a porter. As I mentioned above, the Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold or Eliot Ness would be better starting points.

Holy Moses might not be your cup of tea if you didn't like Blue Moon. There are similarities, but Holy Moses is infinitely better (or, as a waitress who recently discovered it once told me, "It's like Blue Moon...but good!").
I'm thinking this guy just thought about what he liked when he recommended them. Maybe he thought they were tame (in his mind, not like me coming from Coors Light to that beer).

If I go back, I might try another Great Lakes. I just don't feel incredibly motivated to go spend $12 and not enjoy any of the beer again.
Old 09-02-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As someone who came from the "I hate beer" camp not that long ago, I feel your pain. I started out with ciders, then moved on to fruit beers, then wheat beers, now moving into the lager and pilsner varieties. Still can't drink real hoppy or bitter beers. Here are some of my suggestions:

Shocktop
Leinie's Sunset Wheat
Blue Moon Honey Wheat
Old 09-02-08, 01:56 PM

At the risk of looking like an idiot jumping around in this thread...

If you're looking for some good 'gateway' beers to get away from the normal, IMHO Sam Adams is some of the best. All of their varieties are great, I drink Sam Adams light often, but Summer Ale and (coming shortly) Octoberfest are great flavors.

I also enjoy a Blue Moon or Corona w/lime for time to time. Newcastle Brown Ale is also a personal favorite when I'm looking for a nice dark beer.
Old 09-03-08, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by StephenX View Post

If you're looking for some good 'gateway' beers to get away from the normal, IMHO Sam Adams is some of the best. All of their varieties are great, I drink Sam Adams light often, but Summer Ale and (coming shortly) Octoberfest are great flavors.

I also enjoy a Blue Moon or Corona w/lime for time to time. Newcastle Brown Ale is also a personal favorite when I'm looking for a nice dark beer.
I tried the Summer Ale recently and it was awesome. I'm not usually a fan of the wheat beers but that was very light, lemony and refreshing. Not as good when it got warm but easy to drink fast.
Old 09-03-08, 09:11 AM

Is anyone else here a homebrewer? I started brewing earlier this year. My first attempt was an Imperial Stout as a gift for my wife, then I did a traditional English pale ale (think Bass Ale) and this weekend I cooked a porter, in anticipation of the cooler fall weather.
Old 09-03-08, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by StephenX View Post

The Octoberfest and Winter Lager from Sam Adams are both very good. The Octoberfest has been out for a couple weeks now.

I haven't had the Spring or Summer Ale's, so I can't comment on those.

Sweetwater (which I'm sure you're familiar with) makes some good stuff. I enjoy both the 420 and the Blue.
Old 09-13-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat really good.

I am usually a Bud man, but I just discovered this stuff last week and I really cant get enough of it. I am by no means a beer expert, I drink anything on hand except Corona, which is more of a thing where I am anti Mexico.
Old 09-13-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally View Post

Drank Coors Light all day yesterday during an entire day of college football. Loved every one of them. I hated all 6 beers I tried from the high-end place. I'm surprised the guy that recommended them to me didn't draw the parallel between not jumping straight to these beers from Coors Light like some of you did. (BTW, about the last two, I thought the raspberry one was OK but I absolutely hated the GL Edmund Fitzgerald. It was the only one of the six I couldn't even choke down.)

I've tried Blue Moon once and wasn't too impressed. (I've been told that you need to have it with orange because it's really good and that time was w/o, but I'm not sure that would make TOO much of a difference in how much I like it or not). If I go in again to try, I'll try to remember the suggestions in here. If I remember, next time I'm at a bar, I'll see if they have the Mich. Amber Bock and give it a shot.

I really didn't think that expanding my beer horizons would be quite this difficult.
You like Coors Light because it is bland, watery, tasteless, and inoffensive. Having specific flavors and aromas in your beer takes a while to get used to, as does not drinking it ice cold, which is designed to make you taste nothing. Give it some time, I'm sure something better will click with you.
Old 09-13-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
if you can find it, India Pale Ale is pretty good
That's not a beer, it's a style. And, as a style, it has it's good examples and bad examples. So that's not really a correct sentence.
Old 09-13-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DarkElf View Post
I know beer is a very personal thing, and everyone's palate is different. I've rated 62 domestic and imported Oktoberfests, and I've got Paulaner at #34. Among the German imports I like better, look for these 3 brands: Hacker-Pschorr, Spaten, Ayinger.
The beer store I worked at last year had Ayinger Ofest for $1.49 a bottle. Awesome. I also did not care for Paulaner, but the Spaten was very good. I disagree about the H-P though, I think that is one of my lowest rated of the style.
Old 09-14-08, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
if you can find it, India Pale Ale is pretty good

Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
That's not a beer, it's a style. And, as a style, it has it's good examples and bad examples. So that's not really a correct sentence.
It's a correct sentence is in San Diego, where every IPA is at least pretty good (and most are excellent).
Old 09-14-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just recently started drinking some brews from Weyerbacher (based out of Easton, PA) and i'm completely in love.

Their Heresy is delicious.

Insanity is also excellent.

Blithering Idiot turned me on to barleywine for the first time.
Old 09-14-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DarkElf View Post
It's a correct sentence is in San Diego, where every IPA is at least pretty good (and most are excellent).
Damn California beer snobs .
Old 09-20-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

drinking one of these now. quite delicious

Old 09-21-08, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
I just recently started drinking some brews from Weyerbacher (based out of Easton, PA) and i'm completely in love.

Their Heresy is delicious.

Insanity is also excellent.

Blithering Idiot turned me on to barleywine for the first time.
They just rolled into SC a month or so ago. I've got a bottle of Blasphemy I've been sitting on a couple of months I need to get into.

Try Great Divide's Old Ruffian for a very nice barleywine style ale.

Also, Stone just launched in SC last week. WooooooHooooooo!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-21-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to Seven Bridges Brewery here in Jacksonville. They tapped their Oktoberfest. Was, looking forward to it, but in reality, I wasn't overly impressed.

On a side note, last week I was at a bar watching my Cowboys and they announce (several times) all domestics $2.50. They had a Rogue on tap, so had a couple of those. Then I had a couple of Sam Adams Oktoberfest. When I got the check all were $4.00. I asked what happened to the specials. The poor blond said "domestics only". I said that as far as I knew OR and Boston were still part of the U.S. She looked at me funny and said "it is domestics only"...LOL...she did have a nice ass though.
Old 09-21-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by duse View Post
They just rolled into SC a month or so ago. I've got a bottle of Blasphemy I've been sitting on a couple of months I need to get into.

Try Great Divide's Old Ruffian for a very nice barleywine style ale.

Also, Stone just launched in SC last week. WooooooHooooooo!!!!!!!!!
I have tried a couple Stone brews and while they were excellent i still preferred the Weyerbacher brews. The Stone chocolate oatmeal stout though was phenomenal. I also picked up one of their 8/8/08 Vertical brews and will probably drink it next year.

I will keep an eye out for Old Ruffian.

Also, do yourself a favor and drink that Heresy. It really hooked me.
Old 09-21-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been drinking a fair amount of Killians and the various Sam Adam's varieties of late. Had some Bass again for the first time in a while and forgot how good it can be but I picked up a 12 pack of New Castle last night (again having had it from time to time in the past) and am blown away that I forgot how good it it. May be my new favorite.
Old 09-21-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see this thread and how I miss the world tour at Old Chicago
Old 09-21-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson View Post
drinking one of these now. quite delicious

Did you somehow miss the words "great" and "beer" in the thread title?
Old 09-22-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I went to Seven Bridges Brewery here in Jacksonville. They tapped their Oktoberfest. Was, looking forward to it, but in reality, I wasn't overly impressed.

On a side note, last week I was at a bar watching my Cowboys and they announce (several times) all domestics $2.50. They had a Rogue on tap, so had a couple of those. Then I had a couple of Sam Adams Oktoberfest. When I got the check all were $4.00. I asked what happened to the specials. The poor blond said "domestics only". I said that as far as I knew OR and Boston were still part of the U.S. She looked at me funny and said "it is domestics only"...LOL...she did have a nice ass though.
Unfortunately, in many bars, "domestics only" refers to Coors, Bud, MGD, etc.. I'd rather pay $4 for what you drank any day (especially Rogue) versus the domestics, so it was money well spent.

Last edited by tofferman; 09-22-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Is anyone else here a homebrewer? I started brewing earlier this year. My first attempt was an Imperial Stout as a gift for my wife, then I did a traditional English pale ale (think Bass Ale) and this weekend I cooked a porter, in anticipation of the cooler fall weather.
I've been brewing off and on for the past 10 years or so (no all-grain, partial/extract only), and got back into it pretty good a couple years back when I started kegging. I just finished my bar (converted chest freezer) and have 5 beers + 1 root beer on tap.

I currently have an amber, heffeweizen, dunkelweizen and raspberry blond on tap. I will be brewing my first stout soon as I just got a nitro setup for it.

(I just picked up 4 lbs of hops for $40 off craigslist, so I should be set for the next year or so)
Old 09-24-08, 11:05 PM

Iím drinking a Guinness Draught right now (still a little freaked out by the widget thingy, had no idea that thing was in there). Itís not bad, just not very flavorful. So, is this typical or did I mess up my palate with the Dead Guy Ale that I had earlier?

This is all new to me. My whole adult life Iíve been a Budweiser/Bud Light guy. Much to my wifeís chagrin, Iíve been trying new, nicer things. Cigars, wine, food, and of course beer. In the last couple of months Iíve tried several different beers. My first venture was Samuel Adams Winter Lager. That was certainly an eye-opener. I canít imagine going back now.

I live in a small city, so I can only dream of the amazing variety some of you guys have to choose from.
Old 09-24-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 10-7 View Post
Iím drinking a Guinness Draught right now (still a little freaked out by the widget thingy, had no idea that thing was in there). Itís not bad, just not very flavorful. So, is this typical or did I mess up my palate with the Dead Guy Ale that I had earlier?
It's typical.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.