Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

how do i get rid of stretch marks/scars?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 07-03-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the headline says it all, pretty much. i've got stretch marks from working out and need some advise on how to get rid of them. anyone have any experience in this area? i've heard coco butter covers them up, or something. i thought they looked cool when i first started working out, now there everywhere and i'm no longer a fan. help me fellow otters, you're my only hope.
Old 07-03-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The same way you add 3 " to your penis....SPAM!!!!

You really can't. Sorry. Airbrush.
Old 07-03-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
costanza,

Just how big of a man were you?
Old 07-03-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Laser
Old 07-03-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have some pretty nasty stretch marks too. Kinda sucks.

Can they do it with laser?
Old 07-03-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Endermologie machine, developed in France over a decade ago to reduce scarring, uses rollers and gentle suctioning to deeply massage affected areas, increasing the circulation by up to 200 percent. At the same time, toxins and abnormal water buildup are expelled as connective fibers are stretched. The incredible exfoliation in conjunction with the stretching of the fibers can be helpful with reducing the appearance of stretch marks. You can expect to wear a body stocking as a technician runs the suctioning rollers -- like a human vacuum -- over your body, concentrating on the affected areas. Each session lasts a half hour, but to see results, a series of treatments is recommended.
Old 07-03-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tretinoin, or Retin-A, loosens the keratin in the outer layer of skin to remove dead cells. Though derived from vitamin A, it is much more effective than the naturally occurring vitamin because it thins the outer layer of skin in order to penetrate it. It gets into the dermis, where stretch marks occur, increasing collagen production. (This makes it more effective than alpha hydroxy acids as well.) The result is improved appearance and texture of the skin, which can affect the appearance of stretch marks. Consult your physician about appropriate dosages. Be aware that stronger dosages, though more effective, can cause stinging, swelling and redness, and an extreme sensitivity to sunlight. Skin thickening is another possible side effect, due to the heightened collagen production. Tretinoin is most effective in stretch mark treatment when used early.
Tretinoin is classified as a class-C drug for pregnancy, which means the risks of using it during pregnancy outweigh the benefits. (No one knows the effect of the product during nursing either.) Because tretinoin works best during the onset of stretch marks, it's not a recommended course of therapy for pregnant women.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pretty much stuck with it... kind try to use that coco stuff or vitamin E (topical), but not much success..

to be honest, I don't have too bad of stretch marks even though I have grown somewhat from working out the past couple years. I used to put lots of lotion on my skin before the workouts to try to prevent stretch marks by making my skin more elastic. dunno if it worked, but like i said, my stretch marks arent that bad.
DVD Talk Legend

Laser surgery is currently being developed for the treatment of stretch marks. These treatments don't remove stretch marks -- they simply make them fade. The laser responds to dark colors only, so in the early stages, when stretch marks are dark red or brown, laser treatment will be effective. Faded, flesh-colored marks will probably not respond to laser treatment since they won't be easily detected. A series of treatments might be required for visible results.
Old 07-03-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 634 Likes on 416 Posts
I may have to post some pics for this one...

Old 07-03-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
Where's that outrageously huge bicep man photo I saw a while back.
Old 07-03-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a quick note... this ain't me!
Old 07-03-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 439 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I may have to post some pics for this one...

Oh lord, please no. I don't need to see that pic again.
Old 07-04-03, 02:33 PM

i played college football for a few years. so i went from 210 in high school up to 270 three years later. i'm currently 225, i've lost 25 lbs this year woo hoo! thanks for the news. i guess i'll stick with the coco butter/vitamin e stuff. don't really have the extra funds for laser surgery at the moment.
Old 07-04-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about wearing a freakin' shirt?
Old 07-04-03, 04:39 PM

"How do I get rid of stretch marks/scars?"
Divorce her.
Old 07-04-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Where's that outrageously huge bicep man photo I saw a while back."

Greg Valentino has got to be one of the most foolish and horrible-looking people on the planet.
Old 07-04-03, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by Sugared00
Divorce her.
I don't think so..........I just asked my hubby for the gift of surgery! Problem solved.
Old 10-15-04, 03:26 PM

So any luck? I have a few stretchmarks on my arms and biceps from working out, but being here in Sweden they've begun to fade a bit as I've lost some muscle mass, but they are still quite visible.
Old 10-15-04, 03:33 PM

holy crap! a thread by me on the front page. no luck over here. just like most everything else in my life, i quit when i didn't get the quick results.
Old 10-15-04, 03:33 PM

and where are those pics you promised robo?
Old 10-15-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Talk to a real doctor before you do anything. You'd be surprised at what a good doctor can do for you.

Best of luck!
Old 10-15-04, 03:41 PM

there is a magical cure? i guess it wouldn't be magic if a :real: dr. helped. what's the secret? cheap and easy? i've got them on my chest, arms, back, and the deepest/darkest ones on my inner thighs. it was fun being able to squat a quarter ton though.
Old 10-15-04, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pose for Playboy, Costanza, that always removes stretch marks and wrinkles.
Old 10-15-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had just thought about posting a thread on stretch marks. I have several around my armpits and shoulders. One day, a few years ago, I just noticed them. I don't work out with weights and wasn't aware of doing anything strenuous... they just showed up.

Since then, I've been seeing them appear all over my body--especially on my back and legs. I've gained about 5 pounds over the past two years, don't work out with weights or anything, just lots of walking/hiking and such like that.

Every once in a while I think about going to a doctor and asking what's up. But I'll just ask here--what's up? How did I get these in the first place?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.