Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

What to do in San Diego?

Other Talk "Otterville"

What to do in San Diego?

Old 04-10-03, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Job Guys! I second all of these great suggestions all around.

IMO, Balboa Park (the Zoo is there) is a must.

I'm saving Randy C's posts for when I'm planning an outing!
Old 04-10-03, 02:01 PM

If you want, you can email me your address and I can send you a copy of my visitor magazine for San Diego. I am the publisher of TRAVELHOST magazine in San Diego and we put out a magazine for visitors that is in hotel rooms all over the city. It's full of what to do, where to eat, and it has great maps of the city. Unfortunately we aren't in the rooms of the Hanalei yet. I would be happy to send you a copy.

Let me know if you're interested.
Old 04-10-03, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

What about a day trip into TJ?
Old 04-10-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
16. Qualcomm Stadium. Where the Padres, Chargers play and I race my car sometimes.

17. La Jolla Cove.
You have to go here. Find a place to park and then walk. Stroll down to the waters edge in the cove. This is a protected underwater park and fish (orange Garibaldi) will swim right up to you if you snorkel here. I have scuba dived here. The park above the cove is awesome. You can see Sea Lions, Pelicans, and assorted wildlife here. Walk down to the Children's Cove directly south (one block). You will see Sea Lions hanging out at the rocks and on the beach. You may catch a glimpse of body surfers braving the surf and rocks. La Jolla was home to Dr. Suess.

18. The Beaches of La Jolla. My favorite place to swim and body surf is the beaches at La Jolla Shores. On a weekday, parking is easy. See the famous areas for surfing history (pump house gang, tourmaline, windansea, etc).

19. La Jolla Village itself. La Jolla is a GREAT town. Crowded but awesome. Lots of world class shops and restaurants here. Visitors from all over the world. The city itself is full of million$+ homes (yet not the most pricey area in San Diego..that would be Rancho Santa Fe). Nice coffee places (Pannikin). Make sure you drive thru La Jolla (note "scenic San Diego signs) up to Mount Soledad. The view from here is incredible. Up until 1997, you could watch the Top Gun jets flying out of Miramar from here. Note the Mormon building off I-5...sort of a "Disney meets Dracula" theme (aka "Rockets to Heaven" ).

Two of my favorite things to do in San Diego County: (1) Go watch the Padres play at Qualcomm and (2) Go to La Jolla and do everything listed above.
Old 04-10-03, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by apeyard
If you want, you can email me your address and I can send you a copy of my visitor magazine for San Diego. I would be happy to send you a copy.

Let me know if you're interested.
Apeyard..........YGM
Old 04-11-03, 05:39 PM

What's the best sports apparel store in San Diego?
Old 04-11-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also...in the Gaslamp, eat at Redfish.
Old 04-12-03, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Steveweiser
What's the best sports apparel store in San Diego?
bump
Old 04-12-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go see the pretty animals.
Old 06-13-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know how the public transportation is? I am going on vacation to San Diego in August and I'm wondering if I should rent a car or if I can get to the zoo, Seaworld, the beaches, the shopping places and Tijuana by public transportation.
Old 06-13-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 615 Likes on 446 Posts
First, props to RandyC.... just amazing. Heck, I'll probably use his post

While in downtown check out the progress on our new baseball stadium.

Ride the trolley around. Fun and cheap.

Oh, how about setting up a DVDTalk meet? We could get together and go on a DVD-buying spree.
Old 06-13-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Does anyone know how the public transportation is? I am going on vacation to San Diego in August and I'm wondering if I should rent a car or if I can get to the zoo, Seaworld, the beaches, the shopping places and Tijuana by public transportation.
I think it's great. go to here
Old 06-13-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TomOpus
I think it's great. go to here
Thanks! Thats the kind of thing I was looking for.
Old 10-19-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We ended up not really having that much time for touring at all... we advanced Thursday night, so I only had the chance to spend a few hours at the zoo on Friday morning. We were eliminated from the competition Friday night*, so we went to Sea World and the Gas Lamp quarter on Saturday.

It was a beautiful city, and the weather was just great. I wish I'd had more time to spend.

*: The competition started with around 33 teams, and we made the first cut down to 16. Both of our next two rounds were against two of the teams that made it into the final four (one of which won the competition), so we got spanked pretty hard.
Old 10-19-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry to hear about having to leave early. Better luck next time?

Glad to hear things were fine for the small amount of time you had. Come back when you have more time.

Oh, btw... this isn't the thread you had started, but the title was very similar
Old 10-19-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
When I go, I like to go the Beach (of course), the Wild Animal Park if possible (or the zoo if I don't have the time, or it's too hot), and one or two of the museums at Balboa Park (it's a bunch of small museums).

Last time I went (4 or 5 years ago), they had a pretty cool exhibit at the museum I went to on death rituals--lots of skulls and a mummy (it was a modern mummy though, which was even creepier) and other gross stuff like that. I also went to Cabrillo monument that trip, and had a pretty good time there.

Last edited by Ginwen; 10-19-03 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
We ended up not really having that much time for touring at all... we advanced Thursday night, so I only had the chance to spend a few hours at the zoo on Friday morning. We were eliminated from the competition Friday night*, so we went to Sea World and the Gas Lamp quarter on Saturday.
Hey, I was at the Gaslamp Saturday! Was that YOU who looked at me funny?!?
Old 06-30-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great thread guys... i'm going to be going there this weekend and I'd like to know what beaches are the best for the younger crowd in their 20's?

Thanks
Old 06-30-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
Great thread guys... i'm going to be going there this weekend and I'd like to know what beaches are the best for the younger crowd in their 20's?

Thanks
Go to Imperial Beach and visit the Estuary and you can walk all the way to the border via the beach. Just don't swim in the water, it's the second (or first) most polluted in Califas.
Old 06-30-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Comic-con July 13-17!!!
Old 06-30-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mapasu
Go to Imperial Beach and visit the Estuary and you can walk all the way to the border via the beach. Just don't swim in the water, it's the second (or first) most polluted in Califas.
Actually you normally can't walk to the border, because the Tijuana River is too deep to cross where it empties into the ocean in south Imperial Beach. Unless you cross inland. And do you really want to swim in the Tijuana River?
Old 06-30-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MitzEclipse

Thanks
A number of them, but Mission Beach and Pacific Beach (they merge into each other) are home to many a bikini and probably has the largest percentage of young adults. Park down by the roller coaster where West Mission Bay Drive hits into Mission Boulevard.
Old 06-30-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RandyC
Actually you normally can't walk to the border, because the Tijuana River is too deep to cross where it empties into the ocean in south Imperial Beach. Unless you cross inland. And do you really want to swim in the Tijuana River?
Done it several times, but made sure my genitals did not have contact with the water. And I thought the Estuary water running to the ocean was clean...
Old 06-30-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

it's great that this thread was revived. i just found out yesterday that i'll be moving to san diego for about three months starting in september. this will give me a lot of stuff to look forward to doing. thanks for all the info ( especially where all the bikinis are.)
Old 07-01-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want to see good looking girls, got to SDSU once the semester starts. You won't be dissappointed. I never was for 3 years there. Even better, try the dorms and get ready for some fun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.