Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Billy Joel -- "Turn The Lights Back On" -- first single in 17 years

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Billy Joel -- "Turn The Lights Back On" -- first single in 17 years

Old 02-17-24, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Billy Joel -- "Turn The Lights Back On" -- first single in 17 years

That's cool as hell. Not perfect but man, what's going to be possible in just a few short years is going to be crazy.
Old 02-19-24, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I really like the video and song. My only complaint is the overly processed drums. When it was first released digitally I thought it was strange how it abruptly started off with "Please, open the door..." with no intro. I bought the digital single but found out later that a full version WITH a piano intro is on the vinyl single, the same version as the one in the video, so I bought it... for $30, which I'm waiting for. Pretty steep for one single track but whatever. Wondering why they'd use one version for the digital release and another for the physical release.

Anyway, always thought it was strange how Billy went from having a full head of hair to completely bald, with never having a receding hairline (that I've seen at least).

Last edited by JZ1276; 02-19-24 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-14-24, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 335 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
CBS is going to air Billy's 100th MSG concert on April 14.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...bs-1235821721/
Reminder that this concert airs tonight. It might start late on the east coast if golf runs late and pushes the TV schedule back.
Old 04-14-24, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 731 Likes on 481 Posts

The concert sounds good, and the close-up cams are good. But the pullbacks and rotational cameras are really distracting. Looks like he's having a good time.
Old 04-15-24, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Anyway, always thought it was strange how Billy went from having a full head of hair to completely bald, with never having a receding hairline (that I've seen at least).

His left side (our right) doesn't have hair until mid-skull.
Old 04-15-24, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 343 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Originally Posted by GuessWho

His left side (our right) doesn't have hair until mid-skull.
Yeah, by the time The Bridge came out his hair was receding. Speaking of, my teenage self was simply blown away by his performance on Late Night (with The World's Most Dangerous Band) back in '86 ...

Last edited by Toby Dramit; 04-15-24 at 11:58 AM. Reason: you can't go the distance with too much resistance
Old 04-15-24, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,359 Likes on 4,352 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
The concert sounds good, and the close-up cams are good. But the pullbacks and rotational cameras are really distracting. Looks like he's having a good time.
CBS cut off Piano Man. Today they apologized.
Old 04-15-24, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 731 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
CBS cut off Piano Man. Today they apologized.
https://x.com/billyjoel/status/1779950482640830948
Yeah, I know it was only a few minutes, but it pissed me off. Killed the feel good vibe that comes at the end of shows.

I’ll get it if it somehow makes it to a disc format, but I’m not giving CBS any screen or ad time to watch it again.

Last edited by The Cow; 04-15-24 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-15-24, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,712 Likes on 2,667 Posts

The entire concert is on Paramount+ No need to wait for the re-air.

Well, is you have P+ of course.
Old 05-04-24, 09:36 AM

Billy’s eldest daughter, Alexa Ray, performed To Sir With Love for him at his most recent MSG show last week. She did a nice job.
Old 05-09-24, 10:47 AM

Happy Diamond Birthday, Billy!
Old 05-09-24, 08:39 PM

I honor of his birthday, here's a classic :

BILLY JOEL PLAYS “PIANO MAN” FOR THE FIRST TIME AT THE BAR HE BASED THE SONG ON

by TOM SMYTH

Billy Joel sits at the piano in a smoke-filled bar in 1973. It’s 9 o’clock on a Saturday, and he’s just finished performing a new original song entitled “Piano Man” off his forthcoming album.

BILLY JOEL: Thank you, that’s called “Piano Man.” Now this next song—

JOHN, AT THE BAR: Whoa, hold on a second. What the hell was that?

BILLY JOEL: What do you mean?

JOHN, AT THE BAR: Well, Bill, you’re a friend of mine so I don’t want to sound rude, but that sounded kind of familiar. Don’t you think?

BILLY JOEL: I’m not sure what you’re getting at…

PAUL, A REAL ESTATE NOVELIST: That’s about us!

BILLY JOEL: What? No, no, not at all.

PAUL, A REAL ESTATE NOVELIST: You say our names in it, Bill!

WAITRESS: Consider yourself lucky, just “waitress,” Billy? Really? We’ve worked here together for years. Do you really not know my name?

BILLY JOEL: What? Of course I know your name…you.

OLD MAN: Hold on, are you trying to say that I requested a song without giving you the name or melody? That I just expected you to guess, like a mind reader or something? That never happened; that’s slander! And who the hell calls it a tonic and gin?

BILLY JOEL: Listen, it is very, very loosely based on my experience performing at various different piano bars. Don’t read too much into it. Anyway, this next one is called—

PAUL, A REAL ESTATE NOVELIST: So you meet a lot of real estate novelists named Paul, do you? They’re just scattered up and down Long Island, are they? Unbelievable.

BILLY JOEL: Aspects may be inspired by my time here, but that’s it. Very loosely inspired.

DAVY, U.S. NAVY: “Probably will be for life”? What the hell is that supposed to mean?

BILLY JOEL: Don’t take that personally, Davy, I just had to make a rhyme; I swear I didn’t mean anything by it.

PAUL, A REAL ESTATE NOVELIST: Oh, you mean you needed something to rhyme with your jab about me not having a wife?

DAVY, U.S. NAVY: You could’ve said “and has a really great life,” I feel like you were being needlessly harsh there. And did anybody else feel like the entire song was about how the only thing that makes our pathetic lives worth living is listening to him play the piano?

BUSINESSMAN: My friends and I are here for a work function, we’re not here because we’re lonely, that’s really jumping to wild assumptions.

BILLY JOEL: Listen, everybody, I’m sorry if I crossed any lines; it really wasn’t my intention to—

DAVY, U.S. NAVY: When we asked you to sing us a song tonight, we were thinking more along the lines of “She’s Got a Way” or something.

PAUL, A REAL ESTATE NOVELIST: I mean, you go on and on in the song about how you help us forget about our problems. What made you think we’d want to hear a song primarily about our problems? That’s just cruel.

JOHN, AT THE BAR: Now everybody gets to hear about my dream of being a movie star, which I told you in confidence! And why’d you go blabbing about me getting you free drinks, the manager is gonna have my head.

WAITRESS: My name is Pam, jackass!

PAUL, A REAL ESTATE NOVELIST: Do we at least get some royalties out of this? I don’t remember signing away my life rights for your little song. What if I was going to use this as material for my novel?

BILLY JOEL: It’s just one song, guys. There’s a whole album full of others. It’s not like I’ll be playing it constantly. Nobody will even hear it, I’m sure of it. It probably won’t be that popular, so don’t worry about it.

JOHN, AT THE BAR: Well, you may be right, Bill, and I may be crazy, but I think you better stay away for a little while, just so everybody can cool off a bit.

BILLY JOEL: Where am I supposed to go?

JOHN, AT THE BAR: I can get you a gig at this Italian restaurant I know. My friends Brenda and Eddie told me about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Fist of Doom Jr (05-10-24), GuessWho (05-10-24)