Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder blu-ray

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-14-23, 07:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts

I have the CD of this which includes (specifically) Sorrow, Dogs of War, Yet Another Movie, and Round and Around.

I have a question about the track listing for this blu-ray. The back of the case lists Sorrow and Dogs of War, but not Yet Another Movie or Round and Around.

At Amazon those 2 are listed as Bonus Tracks in the description, but they're not shown in the track listing on the back of the actual case.

Are those 2 tracks actual inclusions on the blu-ray? Are they concert footage like the others?

Those 4 songs I've listed (in addition to all the others included on this blu-ray, of course!) are important to me. If Yet Another Movie and Round and Around aren't included as concert videos like the others, then I have to rethink whether or not I want to buy this.

Thank You!
Old 08-14-23, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 472 Likes on 327 Posts
Re: Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder blu-ray

I believe you are looking for this version:

Amazon Amazon

It's the one that matches the release in The Later Years 1978-2019 Box Set.

From Wikipedia

Track listing

1. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 15)"
  2. "Signs of Life"
  3. "Learning to Fly"
  4. "Sorrow"
  5. "The Dogs of War"
  6. "On the Turning Away"
  7. "One of These Days"
  8. "Time"
  9. "On the Run"
  10. "The Great Gig in the Sky"
  11. "Wish You Were Here"
  12. "Us and Them"
  13. "Money"
  14. "Comfortably Numb"
  15. "One Slip"
  16. "Run Like Hell
  17. "Terminal Frost" (audio only; end credits)
The 2019 edit of the film now includes a full performance of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", the original VHS only had the introduction to "Part 1" which was played over a montage of footage. "The Great Gig in the Sky" was originally presented in black and white, with some colour shots taken from the filmed performance at the Palace of Versailles. The new edit has no Versailles footage and is in full colour throughout. The closing credits originally showed a time-lapse of the stage being disassembled with "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 2-5)" playing the 2019 version, however, has removed the time-lapse video and replaced it with a black screen accompanied by "Terminal Frost" as the credits music.

Although the film now includes "Money" in all regions, it is not the full performance. "Money" has been condensed in the same manner as the album version eliminating Guy Pratt's bass solo and the female 'a cappella' section.

Bonus tracks

A separate DVD and BD in the box set also contains the following bonus tracks which are omitted from the original film and the 2019 re-edit:
  1. "Yet Another Movie"
  2. "Round and Around"
  3. "A New Machine (Part 1)"
  4. "Terminal Frost"
  5. "A New Machine (Part 2)"

Old 08-14-23, 01:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder which source of information is correct. Amazon claims there's only 1 disc in this, yet the Wikipedia article speaks to a separate disc for the Bonus tracks.
Old 08-14-23, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
I wonder which source of information is correct. Amazon claims there's only 1 disc in this, yet the Wikipedia article speaks to a separate disc for the Bonus tracks.
It's separate discs in the box set. When it was reissued outside of the box set they combined them. I just checked my VUDU 4K digital copy (currently $14.99 FYI) and the main feature ends and the bonus tracks start after.
Old 08-14-23, 04:41 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

So you think they just put the bonus tracks on the single disc with the other tracks. I really hope so. If those bonus tracks got sacrificed in the name of 'trimming the fat' (so to speak), I'll return this to Amazon in a heartbeat.. As I was saying in my original post those 2 tracks (Yet Another Movie and Round and Around) are important to me. They're on the CD, they really need to be on this BD.

Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it!
Old 08-14-23, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
So you think they just put the bonus tracks on the single disc with the other tracks. I really hope so. If those bonus tracks got sacrificed in the name of 'trimming the fat' (so to speak), I'll return this to Amazon in a heartbeat.. As I was saying in my original post those 2 tracks (Yet Another Movie and Round and Around) are important to me. They're on the CD, they really need to be on this BD.

Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it!
The bluray is sourced from the 4K remaster. I will be shocked if your bluray copy isn't a match for what I have on VUDU (but with better chapter stops).

You are welcome!
Old 08-14-23, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

I have the single disc version of this, and it does NOT contain either track you want, or any of the other bonus track, unfortunately.

When I went to the product listing for my purchase, and change it from amazon.ca to amazon.com, it showed this (which indicates the bonus tracks):
Amazon Amazon

So it sounds like, at least, that particular listing is incorrect in its description.
Old 08-15-23, 04:19 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, so what I feared is true after all. I'm glad I heard from someone who actually owns this. Thank you Andicus, you saved me $30 (including tax).

Why would they not include the same tracks that are on the CD, entitled the same? Bastards.
Old 08-15-23, 04:52 AM

Seriously WTF... Especially since you can't find the box set anymore without paying thru the nose. Sorry about that, glad andicus corrected me before you purchased.

Well there is the VUDU option. Amazon video also has it for $16.29. Again the 4K and proper runtime.
Old 08-15-23, 04:56 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I appreciate the thought Meathead, but I really wanted this in my physical collection, to have and to hold until death do us part...

Damn it.
Old 08-15-23, 05:20 AM

After more Googling...

Amazon Amazon

There is this 4 disc version released at the same time. $68.11 on Amazon. 1 Blu ray, 1 DVD and 2 CD.

According to this link, this blu ray *does* have the bonus tracks right on it. (Scroll down past the pricing)

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/...d-and-remixed/

... til death do you part.

The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (08-15-23)
Old 08-15-23, 07:21 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

That's a nice package. Unfortunately it's a little out of my price range. If I can't find the 2-disc BD for +/-$25, then I'll just have to go without.

Thanks for looking though Meathead...
The following users liked this post:
Meathead (08-15-23)
Old 08-15-23, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,047 Likes on 739 Posts

Yeah, it sounds like it's only on the 4 disc set. In the link Meathead provided, someone asked about the bonus tracks. It's pretty disappointing that they would actually press different version of the Blu-ray, and make it this confusing.

Old 08-15-23, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by andicus
It's pretty disappointing that they would actually press different version of the Blu-ray, and make it this confusing.
That's what I thought but also not surprising these days. The probably didn't want to cannibalize sales of the deluxe set. If I was looking to purchase and the standalone blu-ray had the bonus tracks... I'd never give the deluxe with the DVD and CDs a second look.
Old 08-15-23, 04:25 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Those bonus tracks should be part of the regular track listing, should be included as part of the Delicate Sound of Thunder batch of tracks, or don't fucking call it Delicate Sound of Thunder. That they cannibalized those tracks is a goddamned travesty and I won't buy it because of that. Fucking fuckers.
Old 08-15-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 835 Likes on 704 Posts

Music labels have become very greedy when it comes to these late stage, super deluxe physical releases. Just check out the gigantic Who's Next box set coming out.