Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP: Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-19-23, 06:23 AM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

From Johnny Marr's Facebook:

Andy Rourke RIP.

Andy and I met as schoolboys in 1975. We were best friends, going everywhere together. When we were fifteen I moved into his house with him and his three brothers and I soon came to realise that my mate was one of those rare people that absolutely no one doesn’t like.

Andy and I spent all our time studying music, having fun, and working on becoming the best musicians we could possibly be. Back then Andy was a guitar player and a good one at that, but it was when he picked up the bass that he would find his true calling and his singular talent would flourish.

Throughout our teens we played in various bands around South Manchester before making our reputations with The Smiths from 1982 to 1987, and it was on those Smiths records that Andy reinvented what it is to be a bass guitar player.

I was present at every one of Andy’s bass takes on every Smiths session. Sometimes I was there as the producer and sometimes just as his proud mate and cheerleader. Watching him play those dazzling baselines was an absolute privilege and genuinely something to behold. But one time which always comes to mind was when I sat next to him at the mixing desk watching him play his bass on the song The Queen Is Dead. It was so impressive that I said to myself ‘I’ll never forget this moment.’

We maintained our friendship over the years, no matter where we were or what was happening and it is a matter of personal pride as well as sadness that the last time Andy played on stage was with me and my band at Maddison Square Garden in September 2022.
It was a special moment that we shared with my family and his wife and soul mate Francesca.

Andy will always be remembered, as a kind and beautiful soul by everyone who knew him, and as a supremely gifted musician by people who love music.

Well done Andy. We’ll miss you brother.

Johnny x

Last edited by dex14; 05-19-23 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-19-23, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,752 Likes on 1,189 Posts
Re: RIP: Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

RIP. Loved his playing. A true match and compliment to Marr.
Old 05-19-23, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

BEAM OF LIGHT.

May 19, 2023"Sometimes one of the most radical things you can do is to speak clearly. When someone dies, out come the usual blandishments … as if their death is there to be used. I'm not prepared to do this with Andy. I just hope … wherever Andy has gone … that he's OK. He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn't ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity - never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that."
MORRISSEY.

https://www.morrisseycentral.com/mes...vgHPt3QEO19an8
Old 05-20-23, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 206 Posts

All-time top 5 favorite band. It's unfortunate that you hear Morrissey and Marr mentioned the most over the years when the Smiths are discussed. Rourke, Mike Joyce and even Craig Gannon were also integral to their sound and legacy. This was a nice tribute.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...smiths-bassist
Old 05-21-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Great bassist in a great band, RIP Andy.