Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

U2 “Achtung Baby” and other Sphere Las Vegas Concerts Thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

U2 “Achtung Baby” and other Sphere Las Vegas Concerts Thread

Old 06-14-24, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: U2 “Achtung Baby” and other Sphere Las Vegas Concerts Thread

I think MSG has run into a problem. The production costs of the Sphere require an artist to have an extended run. Most of those are going to be older, established acts who's fans have the money to make a Vegas trip from across the country and globe. There are only a limited pool of acts that can play a 18,000+ seat venue for an extended run. That's got to be one of the biggest places in the world that host even limited residencies. Billy Joel at MSG would have to be the only real comp and it won't surprise me if he's in negotiations. Who else do they have planned? Can they even do one or two night shows like T-mobile or MGM?
Old 06-14-24, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I think MSG has run into a problem. The production costs of the Sphere require an artist to have an extended run. Most of those are going to be older, established acts who's fans have the money to make a Vegas trip from across the country and globe. There are only a limited pool of acts that can play a 18,000+ seat venue for an extended run. That's got to be one of the biggest places in the world that host even limited residencies. Billy Joel at MSG would have to be the only real comp and it won't surprise me if he's in negotiations. Who else do they have planned? Can they even do one or two night shows like T-mobile or MGM?
I mean they could, but it's not the best use of the venue. Phish just used a visualizer for their show, but most artists would want to put up something more imaginative than that. I think at least a few of the artists who currently have residencies in Vegas could support a Sphere residency, even with the much larger capacity (Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Garth Brooks, Adele, The Killers). The problem is of course they're already contracted with another venue. MSG will continue to chase their white whale (Beyoncé), but other artists like Rhianna or Eminem could sell the venue out for a large number of shows as well if they were interested.
Old 06-14-24, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I mean they could, but it's not the best use of the venue. Phish just used a visualizer for their show, but most artists would want to put up something more imaginative than that. I think at least a few of the artists who currently have residencies in Vegas could support a Sphere residency, even with the much larger capacity (Lady Gaga, Bruno Mars, Garth Brooks, Adele, The Killers). The problem is of course they're already contracted with another venue. MSG will continue to chase their white whale (Beyoncé), but other artists like Rhianna or Eminem could sell the venue out for a large number of shows as well if they were interested.
If Rhianna ever goes back on tour it’s going to be a worldwide one. That means either Live Nation or AXS as the promoter which leaves Dolan out. I’m not sure about Eminem. It’s a rapper past his popularity prime. Anyone that plays there for an extended period is going to have to have enough fandom that people will travel. U2, Phish and Dead and Co fit that. The Eagles are a big enough name and established that they can draw crowds for a final run. Adele maybe but the intimacy of her shows is the draw. Plus her Munich shows aren’t the blockbuster ticket that people thought they would but that’s 10 shows at 80,000 per. The Killers again maybe...no probably. Garth I don’t think so. Plenty of tickets still available at the Coliseum for late summer and the entire fall.

It’s just a big place for a residency. Absolutely fabulous place but still big. Finicals are improving but still pretty bad and then that debt. I really want it to succeed (even if it’s Dolen) but they might want to pivot to generate more revenue sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Kdogg; 06-14-24 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-14-24, 08:34 PM

Both The Eagles and Dead & Co recently finished huge tours, so it's not like you can't do a tour and then do a Vegas residency at the Sphere.

Speaking of which, I told my wife that The Eagles were coming to the Sphere and I wanted to go. She said "The Eagles? Aren't they all dead?" I replied "No. Only half dead!".
Old 06-14-24, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 758 Likes on 500 Posts

I figure the KISS AI show will be there at some point when they get that all figured out.
Old 06-18-24, 05:00 PM

Well it sure ain't cheap, but I'll be going!

Same section as my Dead & Co tickets and just one row in front.

Last edited by Decker; 06-18-24 at 05:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
BDB (06-22-24), Nesbit (06-18-24)
Old 06-19-24, 12:21 AM

Four more dates added for the Eagles. First two weekends in November.
Old 06-22-24, 08:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts

I see that some of the tech cos are using it for keynote speeches
Old 06-22-24, 10:48 PM

Really cool interview with Bob Weir about the Dead & Co residency, playing at the Sphere, modifying the video images, and what their future might hold.
https://variety.com/2024/music/news/...ew-1236044941/
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (06-22-24)
Old 06-26-24, 12:29 PM

Even more Eagles dates announced.
Old 06-29-24, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by BDB
I see that some of the tech cos are using it for keynote speeches
I guess it's also useful for award presentation events of that sort.

Anyway, the NHL Draft is being held there...

Nesbit (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 11:20 AM

You can livestream the Sphere's Fourth of July show tonight at thesphere.com .

Old 07-04-24, 11:23 AM

I will be going back to The Sphere tomorrow night for my second Dead & Co concert. My first time in the 100 level. I will have a partially obstructed ceiling view, but will be much closer to the stage. Should make foe an interesting contrast with the first one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Nesbit (07-04-24), PerryD (07-04-24)
Old 07-04-24, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts

Hope it’s a great show! Looking forward to hearing about how things are closer to the floor and band. Have any dead songs from your first show stuck with you? A handful have here. If i lived even an hour closer i’d probably have already come out for another show.
Old 07-04-24, 10:30 PM

I guess the one song that comes to mind is Franklin’s Tower, which was played during the up and away video. That song is cool

To a lesser degree, I like Fire on the Mountain as well.

I wasn’t necessarily planning on going to see Dead & Co a second time, but this past weekend my wife and I were hanging out with another couple and the husband mentioned he’d like to see the show, but he was leaving soon for a couple of weeks. I said maybe I’d check prices for the weekend of the Fourth. I found these seats in the very middle, Sec 107, Row 26. That appears, to the seating chart to be the second row with overhang. I assume it will have some blocking of the roof, but I hope to still see most of the video. Tickets were an astonishing $159 each (+$57 in service charges). I had assumed those seats would be double that price. They look to actually be about $185 all-in. Still a good deal - about face value.
Old 07-05-24, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is a great deal and Franklins Tower was my favorite song on the night I went. Have also come to appreciate a couple others through repeatedly watching the videos of their performances on them that night.
Decker (07-05-24)
Old 07-10-24, 04:13 PM

Forgot to post after the show on Friday. It was a really fun show as well. Maybe not quite as cool as the first one. Setlist wasn't quite as strong. Didn't love their cover of Good Lovin'. But still a pretty cool show. Being down lower was nice. Got to actually watch Mayer play instead of just on screen. The overhang didn't really affect me much (Row 26) -- a couple of rows further back would have sucked. My friend likened it to being on the bottom seats in Soaring Over California-- you don't really notice it unless you look up. That said, having the whole "sky" as the visual is so amazing I would prefer much further back seats with an unobstructed screen view.

Anyway, here are a few images they didn't show the first time -- including James Dolen showing off his other venues.

The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
[email protected] (07-10-24), etching (07-10-24), Sdallnct (07-14-24)
Old 07-15-24, 03:37 PM

First electronic show at the Sphere announced.

Nesbit (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m not familiar with them but could be a crazy show. Putting feelers out with friends to see if anyone wants to go.
Old 07-19-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 122 Posts

I know there is a lot of U2 in this thread, may time to split off, or retitle as a Sphere thread?