Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Arcade Fire’s Win Butler Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Multiple Women

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-31-22, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 685 Likes on 412 Posts

Arcade Fire’s Win Butler Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Multiple Women; Frontman Responds | Pitchfork

4 women have come forward.
One person alleges Butler sexually assaulted them twice when they were 21 and he was 34.
Three women accuse Butler of sexual misconduct between 2016 and 2020.
The women were between the ages of 18 and 23 while Butler was between 36 and 39 years old.

He's denying them all, stating the sex was consensual.

Butler's statement:
“While these relationships were all consensual, I am very sorry to anyone who I have hurt with my behavior. As I look to the future, I am continuing to learn from my mistakes and working hard to become a better person, someone my son can be proud of. I’m sorry I wasn’t more aware and tuned in to the effect I have on people – I fucked up, and while not an excuse, I will continue to look forward and heal what can be healed, and learn from past experiences.”

Butler’s wife and Arcade Fire bandmate Régine Chassagne, stated:
“He has lost his way, and he has found his way back.
I know he has never, and would never, touch a woman without her consent and I am certain he never did.
Old 09-01-22, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Arcade Fire’s Win Butler Accused of Sexual Misconduct by Multiple Women

Feist quits Arcade Fire tour after sexual misconduct allegations surface against Win Butler

Polaris-winning musician Leslie Feist, who was performing as opening act for the band Arcade Fire in Dublin, has quit the tour.

The musician made the announcement in an Instagram post on Wednesday, citing allegations of sexual misconduct against Arcade Fire frontman Win Butler as the reason for her departure.

The allegations first gained public attention from news publication Pitchfork, which stated that four people have made allegations against Butler. CBC News was unable to independently verify these allegations. They have not been proven in court.

In two statements to Pitchfork, Butler denied all allegations, saying that sexual interactions he had with the four people were consensual, but apologized "to anyone who I have hurt with my behaviour."

In her post, Feist says she and her band were blindsided by the Pitchfork story, though did not have time to decide on whether to cancel their participation in the upcoming tour, mere days later.

The decision to leave now came from a desire to "distance [herself] from this tour, not this conversation," while she still argued against "public shaming."

"To stay on tour would symbolize I was either defending or ignoring the harm caused by Win Butler and to leave would imply I was the judge and jury," Feist wrote in her post. "It can be a lonely road to make sense of ill treatment. I can't solve that by quitting, and I can't solve it by staying. But I can't continue."
Old 09-01-22, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Radio stations pull Arcade Fire’s music amid sexual misconduct allegations

Some North American radio stations have stopped playing the music of Arcade Fire after the rock band’s frontman, Win Butler, was accused of sexual misconduct.

A representative for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. told Ottawa City News and CBC News that the broadcaster will “pause” playing the Grammy-winning act’s work on its CBC Music FM radio station and the SiriusXM CBC Radio 3 station “until we learn more about the situation.”

Additionally, the program director of Indie88 in Toronto also said that his station made “a quick decision over the weekend to pull the band’s music” but has “not yet had a fulsome internal conversation about the permanence of this decision.”

The Montreal indie band, which won the 2011 Grammy Award for album of the year with its third studio album, “The Suburbs,” has made the U.S. and Canadian music charts with the singles “Reflektor,” “Keep the Car Running” and “Ready to Start.”

St. Paul, Minn., radio host Bill Childs told CBC that he’s been tracking the U.S. radio stations that have also pulled the band’s music and reported that at least six stations that routinely play Arcade Fire had dropped the songs by sometime Tuesday.

“I’m always curious about how radio stations respond when core artists of theirs get caught up in allegations of whatever sort,” Childs told CBC News.
Old 09-01-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Not good.
Old 09-01-22, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 307 Likes on 195 Posts

Hmm, reading the Pitchfork article with all of the sordid details, it definitely was a case where a rock star was using his power and influence to sleep with many fans. None of the stories seem to imply any assault in any form, and in many cases, there was significant mixed messages given from the women in question which would have led him to believe that they were still into him after some of their interactions which they found uncomfortable. A little more serious than the Aziz incident, but more so because of the quantity of women that they were able to assemble with very similar stories. Although they were 18 to 20, and he was 34 to 36 in some stories, they seem to refer to him as some creepy old man with what I consider not a huge age spread.
Old 09-01-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,513 Likes on 2,346 Posts

Bummer. I usually like Arcade Fire.
Old 09-01-22, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 653 Posts

I used to like Arcade Fire quite a bit too but kind of stopped listening to them after The Suburbs. Shame about this news.