Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Neighborhoods (Boston pop/punk band)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-14-21, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Recently in another thread, Paff jogged my memory about a 1980s pop/punk band which I had one album which I use to listen to a lot. The album was self-titled "The Neighborhoods" which was released on a major label (Atlantic Records) in 1991 with Aerosmith's guitarist Brad Whitford as producer.

https://www.discogs.com/master/25578...-Neighborhoods

Though I had no idea who these guys were, and there was very little information about them via search engines back in the mid-late 1990s.

I went through my cd collection to look for this cd again, but couldn't find it. (It is likely in storage or I lost it over the years). So I went searching on youtube for the tracks, which it turned out were not easy to find (ie. lots of unrelated search matches). I came across the first track "Pure and Easy", but it sounded very different than the version I remember.

It turned out this version was a rawer sounding mix from their 1987 album "Reptile Men".

Eventually I found the 1991 version of "Pure and Easy", which was a lot more slick and polished sounding than the 1987 mix.

Later I noticed most of the songs on the 1991 self-titled major label album, were also on the previous 1990 indie released album "Hoodwinked". (Both had Brad Whitford as producer).

Old 12-14-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 961 Likes on 732 Posts
Re: The Neighborhoods (Boston pop/punk band)

You knew I'd be chiming in. Big fan of the 'hoods, one of the first "local" bands I saw when I attended school in Boston. I was at the show where singer/guitarist Dave Minehan broke his leg jumping off the drum riser, and was too drunk to even know it (other than a few slurred "my leg really hurts" in between songs). Good times. Minehan did some producing (still does, I believe) of his own, including the great rockabilly band Scruffy the Cat. And I don't usually like rockabilly. He also played in Paul Westerberg's band (that's him in the band when they were on SNL) as well as any reincarnations of The Replacements that Westerberg put together.

The 90s Neighborhoods adopted a more "metal" sound than their early power-pop and punkish days, hence the nearly identical track listings of Hoodwinked and the S/T record. They were trying to break in as a "new" band despite having been playing touring and recording since the late 70s. For me, it's those first few 80s outings: the EP Fire is Coming and LPs The High Hard One and Reptile Men. The middle of those three being the high water mark of the band.

They won the WBCN Rock N Roll Rumble (a Boston "Battle of the Bands"), and a lot of people still love their very first single from 1980, Prettiest Girl. It's DEFINITELY power-pop though:

Old 12-14-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: The Neighborhoods (Boston pop/punk band)

I found that 1991 s/t album cd sometime in the mid-late 1990s, in the $1 bin at some used record store. That used record store let customers listen to any cd they had in stock, where I listened to this one "blind".

Initially not knowing anything about them, I thought they were another faceless grunge era band that tried riding the "seattle wave" but never made it big.

At the time, I tried looking for their other possible titles but nothing came up in those days. At retailers like Tower, I asked if anything showed up in catalogs for doing special orders, but nothing popped up. So I figured they either had no other albums, or their previous albums were all out-of-print by the late 1990s.

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-14-21 at 09:55 PM.