Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

R.I.P. Michael Nesmith

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

R.I.P. Michael Nesmith

Old 12-10-21, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
R.I.P. Michael Nesmith

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-dead-1270079/

Sad to hear. He was my favorite Monkee and a very talented songwriter and performer. I understand he was going to go on tour with Mikey Dolenz for one final farewell tour.
Old 12-10-21, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,385 Likes on 4,371 Posts
Re: R.I.P. Michael Nesmith

My friends had this comedy VHS tape that he made in the 80's. Maybe it was called "Elephant Parts" or something? I don't remember that much about it but that it was pretty funny and probably ahead of its time.
Old 12-10-21, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

He just finished that last tour with Mickey last month. Fond memories, and glad I've gotten to see them all (never all together though) over the years.

RIP, Nez
Old 12-10-21, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

When I was a kid, my parents mounted a portable black-and-white TV on the dashboard of our mini-van. We used it on many road trips. I'm 100% sure it was illegal (and I have a memory of a cop yelling at us to turn it off over his loudspeaker while we were driving). Honestly, they may not have even thought to pass such a law yet. Trailblazers, we were.

It would only get channels as we passed through towns and then they'd fade away. I distinctly remember Dad calling me up to the front of the car to watch a show called "The Monkees" that he thought I'd like. And thus was born an obsession with the group during that era. While I never got the chance to see them perform and I didn't really care for much that they did after the show ended, they will always have a place in my heart.

One of my favorite gags on the show is that they'd cut to Michael who'd be trimming the pom-pom on his hat, as if it was growing and needed to be cut back. I don't even think they acknowledged that he was doing it. Those are my favorite kinds of jokes and that show was full of them.

This makes me sad but I am glad to know he was surrounded by family and friends. Off to listen to some classic "Monkees" hits in his honor.
Old 12-10-21, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Very sad to hear, The Monkees was one of the first musical groups that I became a fan of as a band. I remember buying the vinyl back in the day at a little record shop in Kentucky.

He has a great legacy that will live for years to come.
Old 12-10-21, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

I guess there's only one Monkee left now.

So one dies before 70, the other 2 die before they hit 80. Relatively young for all of them to go.
We'll see if Dolenz makes it to 80 with 3.5 years left.
Old 12-10-21, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts

RIP. Saw the Monkeys (minus Nesmith) many moons ago after a SD Padres game.
Old 12-10-21, 04:01 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts

Sad news. He had a good solo career post Monkees - I still listen to several of those albums on occasion.
Old 12-10-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Old 12-10-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,336 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Damn, sad news.

Originally Posted by Draven
When I was a kid, my parents mounted a portable black-and-white TV on the dashboard of our mini-van. We used it on many road trips. I'm 100% sure it was illegal (and I have a memory of a cop yelling at us to turn it off over his loudspeaker while we were driving). Honestly, they may not have even thought to pass such a law yet. Trailblazers, we were.
That's awesome. I'm honestly surprised that my dad never thought of doing that, he was (and still is) a total television junkie.
Old 12-10-21, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,385 Likes on 4,371 Posts

Old 12-10-21, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

It's sad seeing so many of the music greats from the 60s and 70s pass from this Earth.
Old 12-11-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's sad seeing so many of the music greats from the 60s and 70s pass from this Earth.
To quote Mickey Knox, "You ain't seen nothin' yet". So many more big name acts/musicians from that area will be dying off in the next 5-10 years or so.

We'll be looking back on them like we do the Jazz greats - nothing but death.

Old 12-11-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

RIP Papa Nez.

I'm a massive Monkees nerd and have seen every tour of the past 15 years, traveling north any time they didn't come to Florida. Papa Nez was a masterful genius. He (and the Byrds) invented California Country Rock long before The Eagles popularized it. He created the innovation that is music videos. And his work with the Monkees was stunning. People who write them off as "not being a real band" or ":not even playing their own instruments" are so entirely ignorant and ill-educated, it hardly abides the telling.

Pound for pound, there are more Monkees writing and performing on Headquarters or Pisces, Aqarius, Capricorn, and Jones than there are Beach Boys on Pet Sounds.

I had the pleasure of seeing Mike and Micky performing on October 12th of this year in Fort Lauderdale. Mike looked a bit frail and old, but the love of his music and fans through his enthusiasm and that twinkle in his eyes was undeniable. I am grateful for being able to see that show less than 2 months before Mike moved on to the next world.

And baba booey to us all
Old 12-12-21, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 285 Posts

I absolutely loved the show as a kid. Have not listened to them on purpose in years, but I leave it on and sing along when I hear them on the radio for sure. I'd love to rewatch some of these shows to see if it holds up as well as I remember. RIP.