Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones) at 80

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-24-21, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts
Charlie Watts has died

Breaking news...
Old 08-24-21, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-58316842

Not a big surprise after he pulled out of the tour a few weeks back.
Old 08-24-21, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,316 Posts
Re: RIP Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones) at 80

Oh no!

One of the all-time greats. Loved, loved, loved Charlie!
Old 08-24-21, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

RIP to the best
Old 08-24-21, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 88 Posts

RIP Mr. Watts. Another fine addition to the great gig in the sky.
Old 08-24-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

I was wondering why the Rolling Stones was trending. I'm not the biggest FAN of the Stones but he was iconic.
Old 08-24-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 804 Likes on 590 Posts

Huge loss.

I've always loved this anecdote about Charlie Watts, when Mick had pissed him off one night...

It' hardly extraordinary for members of a rock band to come to blows (For example, Bret Michaels and C.C. Deville of Poison infamously brawled onstage at the MTV Video Awards in 1991.). And, it' inevitable that one of the Rolling Stones would eventually take a swing at the oft-insufferable Mick Jagger.

What' surprising, though, is that it wasn't Keith Richards, considering their decades-long love-hate relationship. It was quiet, unassuming Charlie Watts, the country gentleman who sits behind the drum kit and looks comatose most of the time.

The final straw was Jagger's unscheduled wake-up call to Watts during a band meeting in Amsterdam in October 1984. Richards and Jagger had gone out boozing, returning to Richard's room at five in the morning. Watts was fast asleep. Nevertheless, Jagger dialed his room, bawling "Is that my drummer? Why don't you get your arse down here?"

Watts reportedly got up, shaved, got dressed in a custom-made Savile Row suit, put on a crisply knotted tie and freshly shined shoes, came downstairs, and-in Richards' words-"dished him out a great fucking right hook." Jagger was knocked into a plate of smoked salmon, and Richards had to grab his leg to prevent him from sliding along the table, out the open window and into a canal 20 stories below. "Don't ever call me 'your drummer' again," Watts told Jagger. "You're my fucking singer."
https://www.cracked.com/article_1492...istfights.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
bacigalup (08-24-21), Kurt D (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 01:19 PM
Cool New Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sad news.
Spoiler:
Keith is really gonna be the last one left.

Old 08-24-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Charlie was never an influence on me when I played the drums, and I never heard anything from him that made me say, "Wow! That was GREAT!"

BUT what he played was always right for the song. He fit in that band absolutely perfectly, and he was the backbone of their sound.

He will be missed.
Old 08-24-21, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 277 Likes on 195 Posts

In truth, every time I put pants in the wash, I always check through my pockets first, and Charlie Watts was always right in there. He will definitely be missed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
[email protected] (08-25-21), Fist of Doom Jr (08-24-21)
Old 08-24-21, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Sad news RIP. Saw the Stones in 2019 for the first time and amazed.
Old 08-24-21, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Cusm (08-26-21)
Old 08-24-21, 11:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
In truth, every time I put pants in the wash, I always check through my pockets first, and Charlie Watts was always right in there. He will definitely be missed.
Well played, sir. And to a true legend.
Old 08-25-21, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Facebook post from my friend, Go Goís drummer Gina Schock

Hello Friends!
This is Gina. We all woke up to the devastating news that our beloved Charlie Watts is gone.

Iím speaking on behalf of the entire band in saying that we were all just sort of knocked off our feet in disbelief. Itís hard to comprehend that heís actually gone. Charlie was loved by everyone and The Go-Goís are no exception.

I would like to speak on a more personal level. Charlie was my hero. He is one of the main reasons I picked up drumsticks and wanted to play. I put my headphones on and played along with my Stones records trying to lock into his beat. His playing was rock-solid, elegant, and fluid. He cut straight to the heart of the song. No bullshit, just slamming it home with machine-like precision giving it that definable Stones sound. Essentially, he was teaching me to play drums.

And how incredibly lucky that so many years later, The Go-Goís actually got to open for The Rolling Stones WOW! We were going to be playing on the same stage as our heroes.

When we were doing soundcheck I started to talk to Charlieís Drum Tech. I asked him if I could sit on his kit and he said sure. We kept the conversation going as he told me that the rug that his drum kit was sitting on was worth a fortune. The drums were a pittance in comparison. That is so Charlie Watts; loaded with class, a gentleman through and through. By the way, that rug was gorgeous.

And so our band joins with the rest of the world in saying goodbye to one of the greats. Our condolences to his beautiful family, youíll be sorely missed Charlie and youíll never be forgotten.

We are so honored to have crossed paths with you and we know that wherever you moved onto has to be a beautiful place because you deserve nothing less.
-The Go-Goís

The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
[email protected] (08-25-21), Kurt D (08-25-21)
Old 08-25-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts

RIP to one of the greats.
Old 08-25-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Huge loss.

I've always loved this anecdote about Charlie Watts, when Mick had pissed him off one night...

https://www.cracked.com/article_1492...istfights.html
The actual story, from Keith's book...

Old 08-29-21, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts

Seeing as itís looking like this is going to be the Stones last tour, itís a shame the band canít get together with Bill Wyman for one last tour and one final hurrah.
Old 08-29-21, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Seeing as itís looking like this is going to be the Stones last tour, itís a shame the band canít get together with Bill Wyman for one last tour and one final hurrah.
Do you honestly think this is their last tour? With every passing year the odds get higher, but with these guys I wouldn't bet on it.

Wyman's turning 85 in a couple months, and even though he's recovered from prostate cancer - I'm not sure he'd be able to handle a tour. At best he could play a show or two during that tour - maybe the final show of the tour.
Old 08-29-21, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh wow I had no idea he was that old. Well it would be nice if like you said he could play a couple shows. Given their age and the talk thatís been going around not to mention the state of the world I feel like this might be it for them.
Old 08-29-21, 07:33 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

RIP to a rock legend.
Old 08-29-21, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 127 Posts

Oh wow I had no idea he was that old. Well it would be nice if like you said he could play a couple shows. Given their age and the talk thatís been going around not to mention the state of the world I feel like this might be it for them.
It probably would be best if they did call it quits after this tour. IMO, they've gone on far too long living off of past songs.
The 3 studio albums of original songs over the last 3 decades weren't exactly stellar.

I remember seeing them on the Steel Wheels tour in '89 and thinking that these guys are getting up there in age and I wondered how much longer they'll go. For reference, Mick Jagger was 46 at the time and at that point the Stones have been around for 25 years. 32 years after that they're still around. That's nuts to me.
Old 08-30-21, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It probably would be best if they did call it quits after this tour. IMO, they've gone on far too long living off of past songs.
The 3 studio albums of original songs over the last 3 decades weren't exactly stellar..
Agreed. That said, I think Blue & Lonesome is a very good album and cover album or not, I think it would be a very good record to hang their hat on and call it a career.
Old 08-30-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

Agreed. That said, I think Blue & Lonesome is a very good album and cover album or not, I think it would be a very good record to hang their hat on and call it a career.
They do have an all new record of original songs in the can that they recorded right after Blue & Lonesome that they were gonna release and tour for, but then covid happened. So they have at least one more album of new songs with Watts still coming.
The following users liked this post:
Hazel Motes (08-30-21)
Old 08-31-21, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I'm just all kinds of out of the loop! Is Brian Jones still in the band?
Old 08-31-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I remember seeing them on the Steel Wheels tour in '89 and thinking that these guys are getting up there in age and I wondered how much longer they'll go. For reference, Mick Jagger was 46 at the time and at that point the Stones have been around for 25 years. 32 years after that they're still around. That's nuts to me.
Yeah, I think about that a lot.

I worked at a record store when Steel Wheels came out, and that thing was a huge deal. The Stones were BACK! In top form, writing great songs, playing great onstage. But they were getting up there in age. At that point you didn't have a bunch of Classic Rock bands with members in their 50's and 60's playing on stage. The Stones seemed old with the members in their late 40's. Shit, I'm older than that now!

But, to me, once you're in your 70's that may be the time to retire from Rock and Roll. I mean, Mick's had heart surgery, and now Charlie's dead. How far are they going to push this thing? I know with KISS it's pride and ego (and greed) keeping the thing going, but what keeps the Stones going? Pride and ego, too? I can't imagine that they're doing it for the money as they've got more than their great grandchildren can ever spend.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.