Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What famous(or long lasting) group or artist that haven't produced a large box set?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What famous(or long lasting) group or artist that haven't produced a large box set?

Old 03-04-21, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Has Dokken or Heart ever released box sets?
Old 03-04-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 514 Likes on 376 Posts
Re: What famous(or long lasting) group or artist that haven't produced a large box set?

What qualifies as a boxed set?

A complete discography or run of multiple albums in a single package, like the Ozzy Osbourne "See You on the Other Side" box?

An multiple disc "Best of" boxed set like Eric Clapton's "Crossroads?"

A multiple disc anthology of non-album material like The Cure's "Join the Dots: B-Sides and Rarities" set or Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's "Live 1975-85?"

A multiple disc edition of single album like the ones Metallica did for their first four albums, or Guns 'n Roses did for "Appetite for Destruction?"
Old 03-04-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: What famous(or long lasting) group or artist that haven't produced a large box set?

Also curious on long-lasting and famous requirements. Nine Inch Nails have been around for more than 30 years, seem to be relatively famous and have had a fair amount of recognition, but don't even have a greatest hits album.
Old 03-04-21, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 150 Likes on 126 Posts

I feel like a lot of current artists won’t have boxed sets due to the deemphasis on physical media.
Old 03-04-21, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heart released a 3 CD plus a DVD in a set named Strange Euphoria in 2012 according to Amazon. There was a bonus CD of 5 Led Zeppelin covers as well. Not available from Amazon right now but there is an MP3 option.
Old 03-04-21, 03:12 PM

Checked Amazon again for Heart Strange Euphoria and it is available new or used. Lots previously unreleased material in this set.
Old 03-04-21, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 268 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Also curious on long-lasting and famous requirements. Nine Inch Nails have been around for more than 30 years, seem to be relatively famous and have had a fair amount of recognition, but don't even have a greatest hits album.
To be honest, I don't see that as being something that Trent would even want to do, and I think that would be his call at this point.

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I feel like a lot of current artists won’t have boxed sets due to the deemphasis on physical media.
I dunno, there are still enough die hard fans who buy physical media (even for newer artists) and releasing an elaborate box set is like shooting fish in a barrel for the obsessive fan/collector (like a lot of us here, including me!) and they probably have a larger profit margin than normal releases. As long as the economies of scale allow a small enough press run, they will still be made.
Old 03-04-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 221 Posts

This is likely a bootleg but Iíve seen this in a few places: https://www.spirit-of-metal.com/en/a...st_Hits/105816

It does seem unlikely that Trent would go for that type of release.

My first thought was R.E.M. but their catalog is split between two labels and theyíve been doing box sets of each album for the past few years so thatís probably all weíll get.
Old 03-04-21, 08:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
This is likely a bootleg but I’ve seen this in a few places: https://www.spirit-of-metal.com/en/a...st_Hits/105816

It does seem unlikely that Trent would go for that type of release.
that is 100% an unauthorized release. Official releases will only be on nin.com.

Coincidental to this thread, The Mars Volta just announced an 18x LP box set of every album and some unreleased material. $479 and ships in April.

The Crystal Method released a complete box set a few years ago, but I didn't buy it. Weird Al did one, too.
Old 03-05-21, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 82 Posts

Frank Zappa.
Old 03-05-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Nine Inch Nails.... don't even have a greatest hits album.
AC/DC has never had a greatest hits album either

(But they have had box sets of live sets and rarities)
Old 03-05-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 183 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
AC/DC has never had a greatest hits album either

(But they have had box sets of live sets and rarities)
Who Made Who kind of was a best of at the time.
Old 03-05-21, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Who Made Who kind of was a best of at the time.
The Iron Man 2 Soundtrack is another one.
Old 03-05-21, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post

If Dokken ever releases one Snowmaker will be all over that. It's one of his favorite bands. I was hoping for a Bob Seger one. Or at least finally release his first seven albums on remastered CD at least!!!
Old 03-06-21, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think Rush ever had one.
Old 03-06-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I dunno, there are still enough die hard fans who buy physical media (even for newer artists) and releasing an elaborate box set is like shooting fish in a barrel for the obsessive fan/collector (like a lot of us here, including me!) and they probably have a larger profit margin than normal releases. As long as the economies of scale allow a small enough press run, they will still be made.
I get it. Iím a sucker for sexy jazz boxed sets so I recently bought some even though I can already listen to all the music on Spotify.

Iím just thinking that to my knowledge popular artists such as Adele and Taylor Swift havenít released multiple-album sets of their work, just boxes with one CD plus trinkets and such. I get that theyíre still relatively young, but this is an industry that will release greatest-hits albums at the drop of a hat. Though now that I think about it, those two havenít released those either. Maybe because digital is too easy to make your own playlist.
Old 03-06-21, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 514 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Iím just thinking that to my knowledge popular artists such as Adele and Taylor Swift havenít released multiple-album sets of their work, just boxes with one CD plus trinkets and such. I get that theyíre still relatively young, but this is an industry that will release greatest-hits albums at the drop of a hat. Though now that I think about it, those two havenít released those either. Maybe because digital is too easy to make your own playlist.
I think that one thing about artists like Adele and Taylor Swift is that their audiences are still fairly young. The musicians who can put out expensive boxed sets generally seem to be performers who have decades-long careers, with a fanbase old, affluent, and nostalgic enough to drop $100+ for these things.

As far as Best of/Greatest Hits albums go, it is kind of weird that some bands seem to have a ton of greatest hits albums out (like Aerosmith), and others don't have any, though would seem to warrant them (AC/DC). I'm guessing that AC/DC doesn't wan to release any greatest hits packages, and their label won't force them to.

It's also not unusual for compilations and live albums to be used to fulfill contractual obligations, so that's why you'll see bands churning out redundant best of collections and pointless live albums.

Old 03-07-21, 10:17 AM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
I don't think Rush ever had one.
Rush has done the three Sector boxsets that group their first 15 albums, and the Studio Albums 1989-2007 boxset. There are also 40th anniversary LP/CD box sets of 2112, A Farewell to Kings, and Permanent Waves.
Old 03-07-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
There was a half-assed Dokken box set released by Warner/Rhino, which just had their Elektra albums. Most likely it was just old cd inventory put together into a flimsy box. (ie. No extra stuff, no remastering, etc ...).

https://www.discogs.com/Dokken-Origi...master/1242607

I'm guessing this is not what you've had in mind when it comes to a "box set".

Over the past decade or so, Rhino released a bunch of half-assed box sets similar to this ^ for many other catalog releases owned now by Warner Music Group.

https://www.discogs.com/label/276896...ort_order=desc

Old 03-08-21, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

It took years and him dying, but John Prine finally got a box set recently.
Old 03-08-21, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm still flabbergasted at how I'd never heard of John Prine until he died. I don't listen to every single singer to ever release a song, but I'm culturally aware of a lot of them. When Prine died, a lot of people in my circles were talking about him, and I had never heard anything about the man. I looked up some stuff on Youtube to see if it rang a bell and nada.
Just weird.
Old 03-08-21, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I think that one thing about artists like Adele and Taylor Swift is that their audiences are still fairly young. The musicians who can put out expensive boxed sets generally seem to be performers who have decades-long careers, with a fanbase old, affluent, and nostalgic enough to drop $100+ for these things.
That kinda goes back to my original point about physical media. Listenersóespecially younger peopleócare less and less about owning things, and labels respond accordingly.
Old 03-08-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
To be honest, I don't see that as being something that Trent would even want to do, and I think that would be his call at this point.
Agreed. He's supposedly contracted to do a greatest hits album with one of his old labels. If it ever came to fruition, I could see it being a reinterpreted kind of greatest hits album like Billy Idol's Vital Idol.
Old 03-08-21, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I'm still flabbergasted at how I'd never heard of John Prine until he died. I don't listen to every single singer to ever release a song, but I'm culturally aware of a lot of them. When Prine died, a lot of people in my circles were talking about him, and I had never heard anything about the man. I looked up some stuff on Youtube to see if it rang a bell and nada.
Just weird.
Unless you were heavily plugged into the underground singer-songwriter music scene during the 70s, I think it would have been easy to miss Prine. Never really had any massive hits and it's hard pinning Prine down into a specific genre.
Old 03-08-21, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Frank Zappa.
He has got a few.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.