Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Marilyn Manson accused of abuse.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-01-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

In the past, actor and activist Evan Rachel Wood has spoken about the alleged abuse she was subjected to by an unnamed ex. In
early Monday morning, she put a name to the allegations.

“The name of my abuser is Brian Warner, also known to the world as Marilyn Manson,” Wood wrote. “He started grooming me when I was a teenager and horrifically abused me for years. I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission. I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander, or blackmail. I am here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have enabled him, before he ruins any more lives. I stand with the many victims who will no longer be silent.”

In a show of solidarity, at least four other women posted their own allegations against Manson, detailing harrowing experiences that they claim included sexual assault, psychological abuse, and/or various forms of coercion, violence, and intimidation. Manson has denied similar allegations in the past. His representatives were not immediately available for a comment, but his team has “categorically denied” similar accusations in the past. V.F. will update this breaking news as the story develops.

Wood, now 33 and a star of HBO’s Westworld, has said that she met shock-rocker Manson when she was 18 and he was 36. In 2018, Wood testified before a House Judiciary Subcommittee as part of an effort to get the Sexual Assault Survivors Bill of Rights passed in all 50 states. “My experience with domestic violence was this: Toxic mental, physical and sexual abuse which started slow but escalated over time, including threats against my life, severe gaslighting and brainwashing, waking up to the man that claimed to love me raping what he believed to be my unconscious body,” she
, though she did not name a perpetrator at the time.

Evan Rachel Wood and Others Make Allegations of Abuse Against Marilyn Manson | Vanity Fair

Click on the link to read the entire article. Sounds like Manson is one sick dude.
Old 02-01-21, 08:40 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Marilyn Manson accused of abuse.

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
though she did not name a perpetrator at the time.
Was there every any doubt who she was talking about? But yeah, these stories are messed up. I had an ex girlfriend that told me that the guy she dated before me would wake her up in the night by having sex with her. I argued that it was rape cause she wasn't awake and couldn't consent, but she said it wasn't cause they were boyfriend/girlfriend at the time. So I guess that is more common than I thought and that there are more probably more cases that aren't reported.
Old 02-01-21, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Big surprise than Marilyn Manson is a sick fucker. I mean...have anyone read an interview with him, seen his videos, listened to his music, etc.? I know some people thought it was an act but the dude seemed way past the "act" charade.

Not related to his actions but he sat almost directly behind me (with Trent Reznor) at a KISS concert when they first put the make-up back on and he was one freaky looking dude up close.
Old 02-01-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 717 Likes on 561 Posts

The rest is obviously despicable but are there laws against "grooming" of people 18 and over? It probably happens a lot (and the people that are inclined to do this probably start younger) but I'm not sure if it's necessarily prosecutable.
Old 02-01-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

I was under the impression that he was a nice guy who played a horror role.
Old 02-01-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered View Post
I had an ex girlfriend that told me that the guy she dated before me would wake her up in the night by having sex with her. I argued that it was rape cause she wasn't awake and couldn't consent, but she said it wasn't cause they were boyfriend/girlfriend at the time. So I guess that is more common than I thought and that there are more probably more cases that aren't reported.
I suppose it depends on whether or not there's been prior consent for that given. If couples are cool with it, then I don't think it gets into rape. If she ever decided she wasn't into it any more, or even just at a particular time, then I'm fine with that being called rape.

I also thought Manson was more a show than anything, tales of touring debauchery aside. The things his ex's are saying about him clearly prove otherwise. He seems really fucked up.
Old 02-01-21, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 669 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
You might be thinking of Alice Cooper.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-01-21)
Old 02-01-21, 01:27 PM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I suppose it depends on whether or not there's been prior consent for that given. If couples are cool with it, then I don't think it gets into rape. If she ever decided she wasn't into it any more, or even just at a particular time, then I'm fine with that being called rape.
She said that she didn't like it and she had told him not to do it, and but he continued to do it anyway. Which means she didn't give consent. But it was one of those things that I was surprised that someone would do, and surprised again when I saw that Manson did it.
Old 02-01-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 291 Likes on 232 Posts

He always seemed like such a nice guy when he was on The Wonder Years...
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Mabuse (02-05-21), Mr. Flix (02-15-21)
Old 02-01-21, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 172 Posts

He was responsible for Columbine.

Just kidding.
Old 02-01-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
He was responsible for Columbine.

Just kidding.
I think he actually made a valid point about the kids responsible for that, but that doesn’t excuse this.

I’ve mentioned before a person that I know that works in Hollywood, like drinking buddies with JJ Abrams type of insider, and she started mentioning this several days ago on her social media (it’s very restricted, don’t ask) and she was involved with Manson and things went south, like physically and mentally and she had to get away.

This type of thing is apparently pretty pervasive, I hate to admit the old right wing canards about the sin and crap about Hollywood seems to have some merit.

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (02-08-21)
Old 02-02-21, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Marilyn Manson denies abuse allegations as actors rally behind Evan Rachel Wood

Marilyn Manson responded Monday evening to Evan Rachel Wood and several others who accused him of abuse in testimonies released earlier that day on Instagram.On his own Instagram, the musician and actor denied the allegations, calling his accusers’ statements “horrible distortions of reality.” Manson similarly denied abuse allegations in 2018 stemming from an alleged 2011 incident, which he dismissed back then as “either completely delusional or part of a calculated attempt to generate publicity.”

“Obviously, my art and my life have long been magnets for controversy, but these recent claims about me are horrible distortions of reality,” Manson posted Monday on Instagram. “My intimate relationships have always been entirely consensual with like-minded partners. Regardless of how — and why — others are now choosing to misrepresent the past, that is the truth.”

A representative for Wood declined to comment on Manson’s response when reached Tuesday by The Times.

Shortly after Manson released his statement, Deadline reported that the Creative Artists Agency (CAA) is no longer representing him, the latest blow to his career after allegations surfaced Monday.

Manson’s statement came hours after Wood identified the singer, whose given name is Brian Warner, as her alleged abuser. When she was 19 and he was 37, Wood and Manson began publicly dating in 2007 and got engaged in 2010 before splitting up in August of that year.

“He started grooming me when I was a teenager and horrifically abused me for years,” the “Westworld” actress wrote in her post. “I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission. I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander, or blackmail.

“I am here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have enabled him, before he ruins any more lives,” she added. “I stand with the many victims who will no longer be silent.”

Manson was swiftly dropped by his record label following the allegations. AMC’s Shudder has removed him from its horror anthology series “Creepshow,” according to Deadline, and Starz vowed to cut Manson from an upcoming episode of “American Gods.”

“Starz stands unequivocally with all victims and survivors of abuse,” the network said in a statement shared on social media. “Due to the allegations against Marilyn Manson, we have decided to remove his performance from the remaining episode he is in, scheduled to air later this season.”

Many in the entertainment industry expressed their support for Wood after she came forward on Monday. Actors Thandie Newton, Jeffrey Wright, Angela Sarafyan, Lena Waithe and Ben Barnes all sent their love to their “Westworld” costar on Instagram, as did Rose McGowan, Melissa Benoist, Josh Gad, Kat Dennings and Selma Blair.

“I stand with Evan Rachel Wood and other brave women who have come forward,” McGowan, one of the many survivors of convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein, wrote on Twitter. She and Manson were also once engaged; their relationship ended in 2001. “It takes years to recover from abuse and I send them strength on their journey to recovery. Let the truth be revealed. Let the healing begin.”

“Brava to brave warrior Evan Rachel wood for your courage and strength coming forward about the horrific abuse you’ve experienced and to all the other brave warriors who come forward about their abusers,” tweeted actress Rosanna Arquette, another Weinstein survivor. “Trauma lives inside survivors and can take awhile to surface and heal.”

Also among Wood’s supporters was California Sen. Susan Rubio, who previously collaborated with the actress on a bill that added “coercive control” — “a pattern of behavior that unreasonably interferes with a person’s free will and personal liberty,” including isolating a victim from friends and other sources of support — to domestic violence laws. SB 1141 was signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom in September 2020.

“The allegations of physical, emotional, and financial abuse against Marilyn Manson, also known as Brian Hugh Warner, must be taken seriously and thoroughly investigated,” Rubio tweeted Monday. “If law enforcement does not do that, we will not only fail these victims, but future possible victims of this alleged perpetrator.”

Marilyn Manson denies Evan Rachel Wood's abuse allegations - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

And of course he denies it. It's going to be a hard sell for him in this #metoo era.
Old 02-02-21, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered View Post
She said that she didn't like it and she had told him not to do it, and but he continued to do it anyway. Which means she didn't give consent. But it was one of those things that I was surprised that someone would do, and surprised again when I saw that Manson did it.
Agreed that would be rape.
Old 02-02-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was all part of a act and in real life he was this shy insecure guy.
Old 02-03-21, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I thought it was all part of a act and in real life he was this shy insecure guy.
Years ago, I'd heard stories of him visiting radio stations for promos and they would be expecting him to be this dark, gothy guy but instead he'd like walk in with pitchers of margaritas all smiling and ready to party.

But, time changes people, as does fame. It's not the first time somebody got famous and let themselves go.
Old 02-04-21, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew he was an asshole, I didn't know he was malevolent. End of support from me.
Old 02-05-21, 04:02 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts

He’s been abusing my ears for years.

Jokes aside it doesn’t surprise me at all. He’s been a weird dude forever. When he was just an opener for NIN he was already saying outrageous shit in interviews.
Old 02-08-21, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who knew after Wonder Years ended his life would become a mess

Old 02-13-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Esme Bianco of Game of Thrones now accuses him of abuse.

Old 02-19-21, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

LA County Sheriff Launches Domestic Abuse Investigation of Marilyn Manson
Old 02-25-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black View Post
I knew he was an asshole, I didn't know he was malevolent. End of support from me.
Succinctly put and agreed.
Old 02-28-21, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
You might be thinking of Alice Cooper.
I watched an hour long video about this from Evie Lupine. Not only was Marilyn Manson an abusive asshole, but everyone knew it and covered for him. He bragged about his behavior in interviews.

I must have been confusing him with Alice Cooper.