DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Pink Floyd (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/652257-pink-floyd.html)

david12 01-23-21 12:00 AM

Pink Floyd

pink Floyd

story 01-23-21 01:32 AM

Re: Pink Floyd

Floyd rules.

Close thread?

TGM 01-23-21 08:14 AM

my favorite band.

shame David and Roger couldn't get their shit together to give us more albums together. Roger's songs have amazing lyrics and no melody. David's are all melody and rather fluff lyrically.

dom56 01-23-21 10:09 AM

Dark Side Of The Moon will always be my favorite album.

andicus 01-23-21 01:32 PM

One of my favourite bands, too!

I've only seen them without Roger Waters, but I've also seen him, solo. I also saw a great tribute band, a few years back, called Brit Floyd. All fantastic shows.

Favourite albums... I love them all, but probably Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Meddle, and The Wall.

Mondo Kane 01-23-21 02:19 PM

10 tracks I can't live without:

Echoes
Time
Dogs
Welcome To The Machine
Great Gig in the Sky
Cymbaline (MORE-film version)
Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Hey You (Is There Anybody Out There-version)
Not Now John
Fat Old Sun

stvn1974 01-23-21 02:20 PM

Love all of their albums but I have to be in a certain mood for The Final Cut. Any of the others I can just throw on at any time and get immersed in.

Tom Banjo 01-23-21 02:48 PM

Over the years Animals has gone from not even being a top 5 album to being my #2 behind DSOTM.
Claypool’s Flying Frog Brigade recently released a fabulous live version of the entire Animals album. It’s damn close to being every bit as good as the original album, somehow.

rexinnih 01-23-21 08:40 PM

Which one's Pink?

Spiderbite 01-23-21 10:49 PM

Um, excuse me...The Pink Floyd.

Hokeyboy 01-23-21 11:01 PM

They never made a more interesting record than Saucerful of Secrets, but kept making great records up to and including Animals.

Also: the groin of bernaRd

Hazel Motes 01-24-21 01:53 AM

Sub question:

Who is your favourite leader of Pink Floyd?

Syd Barrett, Roger Waters or David Gilmour?

I guess there was a period when Gilmour and Waters shared that title, until Waters completely took over.

Piper At The Gates of Dawn is still my favourite Floyd album. I'd put The Madcap Laughs ahead of every other Floyd album too, even though it sort of was a Floyd album.

bchbdaddy 01-25-21 02:37 PM

Waters all the way. Without him, there is no PF.

And I guess I'm the odd man out, because Animals is my #1 out of the bunch.

mndtrp 01-25-21 02:49 PM

Listening to Pink Floyd right now actually. My favorites change around at times, but Animals is probably my current favorite. I've only seen Roger's solo shows for DSOTM and The Wall, as well as a local tribute band who are actually quite good. I'm really wishing I would have seen Nick's Saucerful of Secrets band when they came through a couple years ago. Anyway, one of my favorite bands, and I never tire of listening to them. Early or later albums, although The Final Cut doesn't get much play.

PhantomStranger 01-25-21 03:09 PM

During their prime in the 70s, Pink Floyd had an untouchable string of classic albums. The Syd Barrett era is interesting but not on the level they touched in the 70s under Waters. Gilmour's Pink Floyd were an excellent cure for insomnia. Gilmour is probably one of the 2-3 best guitar players of all time but he's a boring songwriter.

I've been waiting on that Animals SACD for years.

Tom Banjo 01-25-21 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 13881114)
Listening to Pink Floyd right now actually. My favorites change around at times, but Animals is probably my current favorite. I've only seen Roger's solo shows for DSOTM and The Wall, as well as a local tribute band who are actually quite good. I'm really wishing I would have seen Nick's Saucerful of Secrets band when they came through a couple years ago. Anyway, one of my favorite bands, and I never tire of listening to them. Early or later albums, although The Final Cut doesn't get much play.

I got the Nick Mason’s SoS live album, and frankly found it disappointing. If you haven’t given that a listen, doing so might make you feel better about missing seeing them.

Tom Banjo 01-25-21 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes (Post 13880162)
Sub question:

Who is your favourite leader of Pink Floyd?

Syd Barrett, Roger Waters or David Gilmour?

Waters 100%. Although I will say I LOVE The Division Bell and put it up there with the Waters-era stuff.

mndtrp 01-26-21 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 13881244)
I got the Nick Mason’s SoS live album, and frankly found it disappointing. If you haven’t given that a listen, doing so might make you feel better about missing seeing them.

I give live music a lot of quality leeway when I'm there in person. Live albums often leave a lot to be desired. Hearing songs I like a lot, that I've never heard live before, with a group of fans is generally a good time, even if the performances aren't as great as they should be.

Mike86 01-26-21 12:59 PM

I prefer Roger Waters as the lead over Barrett or Gilmour personally. I went through a period where I liked Pink Floyd quite a bit. I still do like them, but I wouldn’t call myself a huge fan.

Probably would say Wish You Were Here is my favorite overall album by them. I also like Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon as well though.

I actually was considering going to see Roger Waters in concert before COVID happened.

cdollaz 01-26-21 03:10 PM

I went to one of the Nick Mason SOS shows and I have the album. I loved the show and love the album.

Nick Danger 01-26-21 04:10 PM

Interesting to see all the love for Animals. It used to be that Wish You Were Here was the fan favorite. It's still mine.

I bought all the vinyl albums up to The Wall, and bought them again on CD. I never liked the albums released after that.

mickey65 01-26-21 10:08 PM

Great Gig in the Sky is one of my favorites of theirs. I mostly like their Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon albums. And then just a few songs here and there off of some of their other albums. I didn't care for The Wall too much (the movie itself is boring), and only like maybe 3 songs off of that album.

Nesbit 01-27-21 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy (Post 13881104)
Waters all the way. Without him, there is no PF.

And I guess I'm the odd man out, because Animals is my #1 out of the bunch.

Same here with The Wall (warts and all and theres a lot of them) being #2

kd5 01-27-21 05:03 PM

I have Ummagumma, Meddle, Obscured By Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut on vinyl, The Wall and The Delicate Sound of Thunder on CD. I've seen them in concert twice (Wish You Were Here and Animals). They are easily my favorite band of all time.