Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tony Lewis (The Outfield)/Spencer Davis RIP 10/20/2020

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-20-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Tony Lewis, lead singer of the 1980s power pop band The Outfield, died on Monday (Oct. 19) at age 62. According to a statement from a spokesperson, Lewis died "suddenly and unexpectedly" near London. At press time, no cause of death had been announced.

The Outfield, fronted by bassist/singer Lewis, guitarist/keyboardist John Spinks and drummer Alan Jackman, first formed in the late 1970s as Sirius B and The Baseball Boys, before landing on another baseball-inspired name, a conceit the British trio continued on the title of their hit 1985 debut album, Play Deep; the multiplatinum debut reached No. 6 on the Billboard 200, spending 66 weeks on the chart.
Influential British rock band leader Spencer Davis, founder of the Spencer Davis Group, has died at age 81. His agent, Bob Birk, told the BBC that the Welsh guitarist died in a hospital on Monday while being treated for pneumonia.

"He was a highly ethical, very talented, good-hearted, extremely intelligent, generous man," Birk told BBC. "He will be missed."

Davis was a leading figure in the British rock scene in the 1960s, forming the group whose hits include such AM radio staples as "Keep on Running," the organ-fueled blue eyed soul explosion "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm a Man."
Old 10-20-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Tony Lewis (The Outfield)/Spencer Davis RIP 10/20/2020

That's too bad. I'm a big fan of The Outfield.
Old 10-21-20, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I read about this in the news this morning, but had no clue who they were. Once I looked up the song and Your Love and listened it was obvious!

Strange it was such a bit hit and they never made it back in the UK.
Old 10-21-20, 12:05 PM
RIP

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Sad to hear. I love The Outfield. So many great songs, but this is definitely my favorite:

Old 10-21-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Did Spencer Davis ever sing lead on a Spencer Davis Group song?

I can only recall Steve Winwood as their lead singer.