Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A new Guns Ní Roses album coming in 2020?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-05-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

Should be interesting

Slash recently spoke with Sweetwater for the music retailerís GearFest 2020, and during the conversation the electric guitar player revealed that while heís been home quarantining like the rest of us, heís also been working on new material for Guns Ní Roses.

"I've been pretty much a homebody, but I've been back and forth between my studio in the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own,Ē Slash told Sweetwaterís Nick Bowcott.
ďI've been jamming with Duff and I've been jamming with Axl, and I've been doing stuff like that. So we've been getting some work done that way.

"But I haven't been doing much else. I haven't been doing any collaborations with the odd artist and whatnot. I'm basically just focusing on writing new music and recording demos and recording guitar stuff for Guns.Ē

The new material would be Slashís first original recorded music with Guns Ní Roses since 1991ís Use Your Illusion records.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/sla...r-guns-n-roses

Old 07-05-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 547 Likes on 445 Posts
re: A new Guns Ní Roses album coming in 2020?

Iíd be interested to hear a new album from them. Especially now that Slash is back in the picture. I liked Chinese Democracy, but that was already twelve years ago.
Old 07-05-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 356 Likes on 261 Posts

I'd be down for this.
Old 07-05-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 815 Likes on 597 Posts

Not without Izzy.

Just pay him what he wants. A really good GnR album is going to, in the end, bring in more money than Chinese Democracy Part 2.
Old 07-06-20, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts

I bet when it does come out people will say they like the old stuff better
Old 08-30-20, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Not without Izzy.

Just pay him what he wants. A really good GnR album is going to, in the end, bring in more money than Chinese Democracy Part 2.
I would have to agree.

Judging by the past studio efforts of various GnR members, I suspected Izzy might be the master songwriter. (I don't know how much producer Mike Clink contributed to GnR's overall song arrangements + sound).

Subjectively I found the solo efforts of Duff and Slash, were not particularly memorable. Nor most of Chinese Democracy. Stuff I only listened to once or twice, and the cd ended up collecting dust on my bookshelf ever since.

The few Izzy cds I heard, were easier to listen to and got as many as a dozen or so plays when I first purchased them.
Old 08-31-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

West Arkeen also deserves a lot of credit for the early Guns songs. Supposedly he had a hand in a lot more songs than the ones he was credited on.
I went to see Izzy and the Ju Ju Hounds at the Avalon nightclub in Chicago right after he left GNR. They didn't play a single Guns song.
Old 08-06-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

This dropped today.

Old 08-06-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

That song IS absurd.

The riffs are mediocre, there's no real vocal melody, and no chorus hook. And the vocal style is, shall we say, less than stellar.

It's all attitude, almost no substance.

And that's the song they lead with? A leftover from Chinese Democracy that didn't fit on that album and wasn't very good to begin with?
Old 08-06-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 815 Likes on 597 Posts
Re: A new Guns Ní Roses album coming in 2020?

Sometime between "Use Your Illusion" and "Chinese Democracy," Axl decided he wanted to be Nine Inch Nails or Filter.

That's just not in the Guns N' Roses wheelhouse at all, and all of the stuff since then has just been somewhere between mediocre and unlistenable. When they're playing stripped-down hard rock that skirts hair metal -- sort of in the AC/DC mold -- they're great. But it seems like Axl has this obsession with making over-processed, industrial sounding noise that the old fans don't like, and the people who like that kind of music don't want it from Guns N' Roses. Maybe he's doing in an attempt to mask the fact that he just isn't a very good songwriter.

Old 08-06-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Man, that was gross. Oh well, rumor is the Use Your Illusion box set is still coming out this year.
The following users liked this post:
gerrythedon (08-06-21)
Old 08-06-21, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Absurd" makes me nostalgic for "My World"
Old 08-06-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Oh well, rumor is the Use Your Illusion box set is still coming out this year.
Dolby Atmos Blu-ray/4k
Old 08-07-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Straight up garbage.
Old 08-07-21, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Sometime between "Use Your Illusion" and "Chinese Democracy," Axl decided he wanted to be Nine Inch Nails or Filter.

That's just not in the Guns N' Roses wheelhouse at all, and all of the stuff since then has just been somewhere between mediocre and unlistenable. When they're playing stripped-down hard rock that skirts hair metal -- sort of in the AC/DC mold -- they're great. But it seems like Axl has this obsession with making over-processed, industrial sounding noise that the old fans don't like, and the people who like that kind of music don't want it from Guns N' Roses. Maybe he's doing in an attempt to mask the fact that he just isn't a very good songwriter.
Right.

I bought Appetite for Destruction when it came out in 87, and it was the soundtrack for my spring 1988 semester. To me, this sounds like a 90's band with backwards letters in their misspelled name. Older fans won't buy it, and younger fans may like this, but they won't buy a ticket to a show when they'll have to sit through Welcome to the Jungle, Paradise City, and ten minutes of November Rain.
Old 08-07-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

The biggest fault of Absurd to me is that there just isn't much of an actual SONG there. There's some noisy, mediocre riffing, Axl yelling in a voice that's snotty and annoying, and that's it. No real melody, no hook, nothing particularly musical - it's noisy and has a lot of attitude, but nothing else.

To steal from an old Wendy's commercial - Where's the song??
Old 08-07-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I love OH MY GOD, but ABSURD is . Doesn't sound like AXL, don't think it's even him .
Old 08-08-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I canít believe they even released this. Listened to it twice just because I couldnít believe how awful it was.

I wish they would get together and write a few new songs.
Old 08-08-21, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I am seeing them at Allegiant Stadium in less than three weeks. I need to learn that opening riff forward and backwards so that the moment I hear it played I can make it to the bathroom before the rush.
sleepyhead55 (08-09-21)
Old 08-09-21, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I am seeing them at Allegiant Stadium in less than three weeks. I need to learn that opening riff forward and backwards so that the moment I hear it played I can make it to the bathroom before the rush.
Oof that's cold.
Old 08-09-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 155 Posts

Or you could just look at setlist.fm, they aren't changing it up very much.

So far it's consistently right after Let Me Be Your Dog and right before Civil War
Old 08-11-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like Lords Of Acid to me. Skip to 40 seconds in...

Old 09-23-21, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New reports share that...
  • "Hard Skool" will be released as a single tomorrow, Sept 24
  • "GnFnR" -- an EP of 2 original songs and 4 covers -- will be released the following Friday, Oct 1.

"GnFnR" tracklist:
1 - "HardSkool"
2 - "Wichita Lineman"
3 - "Black Hole Sun"
4 - "The Seeker"
5 - "Bennie & The Jets"
6 - "Absurd"
Old 09-23-21, 10:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I heard the same. I think Duff may have also said something about it recently on his "3 Chords and the Truth" show on Sirius. Regardless, I poked around and didn't see anything definitive but did come across this recent picture of Axl backstage with a fan. That outfit rules...enjoy.

Old 09-23-21, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma View Post
Or you could just look at setlist.fm, they aren't changing it up very much.

So far it's consistently right after Let Me Be Your Dog and right before Civil War
Forgot to mention : This was great advice. Headed to the restroom at the start of Let Me Be Your Dog (with Duff on vocals -- their equivalent of Keith Richards doing "Happy" during a Stones show), then waited in the beer line, and back to my seats, beer in hand, in time for Civil War.
Obi-Wanma (09-23-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.