Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

A new Guns N’ Roses album coming in 2020?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

A new Guns N’ Roses album coming in 2020?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 10:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: A new Guns N’ Roses album coming in 2020?

Old 09-24-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Although this one is also from Chinese Democracy sessions and not really new material it's still way better than Absurd
Old 09-24-21, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The biggest fault of Absurd to me is that there just isn't much of an actual SONG there. There's some noisy, mediocre riffing, Axl yelling in a voice that's snotty and annoying, and that's it. No real melody, no hook, nothing particularly musical - it's noisy and has a lot of attitude, but nothing else.

To steal from an old Wendy's commercial - Where's the song??
What was stolen from an old Wendy's commercial?
Old 09-24-21, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
IRegardless, I poked around and didn't see anything definitive but did come across this recent picture of Axl backstage with a fan. That outfit rules...enjoy.

Pretty close to what he was wearing when I saw him :

Old 09-29-21, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Due February 25 2022, the EP’s tracklist will contain the two already released ex-Chinese Democracy cuts, as well as live recordings of the band’s ‘91 power ballad Don’t Cry and Appetite For Destruction track You’re Crazy.
This is fucking lame, they couldn't put the new 2 songs live versions instead of both irrelevant chosen. And songs are done but gonna be released in February
Old 09-30-21, 07:17 PM

This is such a letdown. The EP originally had a release date of October 1st with a pretty decent tracklist. Now it's pushed back until February without the studio cuts of Black Hole Sun, The Seeker, Wichita & Benny and the Jets & instead we get two live versions of songs that have already been released on numerous singles & the Live Era album.
Old 10-01-21, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
This is such a letdown. The EP originally had a release date of October 1st with a pretty decent tracklist. Now it's pushed back until February without the studio cuts of Black Hole Sun, The Seeker, Wichita & Benny and the Jets & instead we get two live versions of songs that have already been released on numerous singles & the Live Era album.

what do we think happened here? The new songs aren’t real good but those covers sounded cool.
Old 10-01-21, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Maybe they should pay Izzy to write them some songs.
The following users liked this post:
Cusm (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Maybe they should pay Izzy to write them some songs.
Izzy truly was the secret ingredient when it came to the band's songwriting.
The following 3 users liked this post by cultshock:
[email protected] (10-04-21), Hazel Motes (10-05-21), Nesbit (10-11-21)
Old 10-06-21, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Heart and soul of the band and by far the coolest member.

Funny story. A guy I work with was a big GNR fan back in the day and as a teenager saw the classic line up right before Appetite came out and blew up. He saw them at a small club in Vancouver and then after the show he went to Burger King with his buddies and the whole band was already in there and the entire place was otherwise empty. He and his friends approached the band and I guess Slash blew them off big time and was kind of an asshole to them. He said this irritated Axl, so Axl went and sat down with him and his friends for 15 minutes and just shot the shit with them. He said Axl was the coolest most down to earth guy ever. He also told me that back in those early days it was sort of known that Slash was a bit of an asshole and Axl was the cool one. I just find it funny that only a couple years later their reputations completely flipped. The idea of Axl being a down to earth guy is something you would scoff at. Meanwhile another friend of mine who is a musician, used to have the worlds most obscure podcast back when podcasts were in their infancy, and through a friend of a friend got Slash to appear on the show and he was the most chill guy ever and they just drank and bullshitted and played music for hours.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hazel Motes:
cultshock (10-06-21), Cusm (10-06-21), JeremyM (10-13-21)
Old 10-06-21, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another off topic post. Since I was a kid I dreamed of the classic line up getting back together. Seeing Duff Axl Slash Adler and Izzy take the stage again was a bucket list dream. When it was announced that they were going to do a reunion tour but that Izzy and Adler wouldn’t be taking part I was disappointed but was thrilled at the idea of at least seeing a partial reunion. At first I just assumed Adlers substance abuse and health problems were why he wasn’t a part of it and that being the recluse he is, Izzy didn’t want to step back into the spotlight. I was okay with it on those terms. But then when Izzy came out and said they were only going to pay him peanuts to take part in it, it almost overnight completely soured me on the whole deal. The thing I’d been dreaming of for my whole life was basically dead to me. I have no interest in seeing them at all knowing what a blatant cash grab the whole thing is and how they fucked over Izzy. I don’t know where Axl gets the balls to even stand on stage and sing Izzys song Patience when they basically offered him to be like the guy who replaced Bill Wyman in the Stones, just a touring guitarist.
Old 10-06-21, 12:24 AM

Heart and soul of the band and by far the coolest member.

Funny story. A guy I work with was a big GNR fan back in the day and as a teenager saw the classic line up right before Appetite came out and blew up. He saw them at a small club in Vancouver and then after the show he went to Burger King with his buddies and the whole band was already in there and the entire place was otherwise empty. He and his friends approached the band and I guess Slash blew them off big time and was kind of an asshole to them. He said this irritated Axl, so Axl went and sat down with him and his friends for 15 minutes and just shot the shit with them. He said Axl was the coolest most down to earth guy ever. He also told me that back in those early days it was sort of known that Slash was a bit of an asshole and Axl was the cool one. I just find it funny that only a couple years later their reputations completely flipped. The idea of Axl being a down to earth guy is something you would scoff at. Meanwhile another friend of mine who is a musician, used to have the worlds most obscure podcast back when podcasts were in their infancy, and through a friend of a friend got Slash to appear on the show and he was the most chill guy ever and they just drank and bullshitted and played music for hours.
I think Axl has changed a lot. In the early 90's when GnR were huge, Axl was a young guy in his 20's & all that fame probably got to his head. Now he's older and more mature and in recent interviews he definitely doesn't seem like the same guy from 25 years ago. I haven't even heard any stories in years of him holding up shows for hours anymore.
Old 10-06-21, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Another off topic post. Since I was a kid I dreamed of the classic line up getting back together. Seeing Duff Axl Slash Adler and Izzy take the stage again was a bucket list dream. When it was announced that they were going to do a reunion tour but that Izzy and Adler wouldn’t be taking part I was disappointed but was thrilled at the idea of at least seeing a partial reunion. At first I just assumed Adlers substance abuse and health problems were why he wasn’t a part of it and that being the recluse he is, Izzy didn’t want to step back into the spotlight. I was okay with it on those terms. But then when Izzy came out and said they were only going to pay him peanuts to take part in it, it almost overnight completely soured me on the whole deal. The thing I’d been dreaming of for my whole life was basically dead to me. I have no interest in seeing them at all knowing what a blatant cash grab the whole thing is and how they fucked over Izzy. I don’t know where Axl gets the balls to even stand on stage and sing Izzys song Patience when they basically offered him to be like the guy who replaced Bill Wyman in the Stones, just a touring guitarist.
IIRC on this tour Axl was getting somewhere around 60% (he has to cover the new GnR bandmates) and Slash and Duff are splitting 40%, and Izzy was to split that 40% with the other two if he joined the tour. My wife is a huge fan and we have seen them twice on this past tour, she still loves Axl but knows what a huge asshole he has been, hell he included the sounds of him screwing a bandmembers fiancé on one of their tracks.
Old 10-07-21, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I saw Izzy and Adler with GNR in England back in the 80's twice - once before Appetite took off (theatre was more than half empty) and then again when it took off. Then just after Izzy left, I saw him play at the Avalon nightclub in Chicago with his new band. They didn't play one single GNR song, which I thought was pretty telling that he was 100% done with the band. So I think it would take something pretty special for him to take that ride again.
Old 10-07-21, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

[QUOTE=Cusm;13993777what a huge asshole he has been, hell he included the sounds of him screwing a bandmembers fiancé on one of their tracks.[/QUOTE]

She wasn't anyone's fiance. And she claimed that Adler had said she wasn't even his girlfriend any more at that point. Plus (according to Mike Clink) most of the band took turns having sex with her for that track. I guess we'll never know the truth.
Old 10-14-21, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
what a huge asshole he has been, hell he included the sounds of him screwing a bandmembers fiancé on one of their tracks.
Calling someone an asshole for something petty they did 34 years ago is... well being an asshole.
Old 10-15-21, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Calling someone an asshole for something petty they did 34 years ago is... well being an asshole.
He HAS been an asshole, no one can not claim he has not been. Calling me an asshole for stating a fact makes you...well an asshole.