Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Record Store Day -- moving to June 20

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Record Store Day -- moving to June 20

Old 03-17-20, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Record Store Day -- moving to June 20

It might be more apropos for the dedicated Vinyl thread (which does exist here), but the impetus for my return to the format was in the mid to late 2000s. I'd been a vinyl enthusiast in the 80s, but like most people I moved towards CD in the 90s. One time I went to a music store to find some older CDs I'd wanted for a while, only to find that some albums were released on CD just once, or not at all, rendering those CDs anywhere from literally impossible to hard-to-find and quite expensive. Yet the old vinyl versions were sitting on the shelves, plentiful, and in great condition and at around $2-3 a pop.

After that I went about improving my vinyl setup, like finding a great Technics turntable from 1976 for just $50, to getting a great Harman Kardon all-analog solid state amp that was designed with vinyl in mind.

Does vinyl sound better? I dunno, I'd have to do a blind comparison test to find which I really prefer. But it sounds REALLY good on my current setup, and I've been finding tons of great old records at the multitude of used records stores in my area. Cheap, too. I've probably not listened to music this often in my life ever (I come home from work and put on records for a good 2-3 hours nearly every night). I'm happy to have such great music at my fingertips, and don't mind the occasional $30 RSD "exclusive" for something unique. For those not into the format or the event (yet oddly clicked on this thread anyway), I'll just quote George Clooney in From Dusk Till Dawn: "Fair enough, more for me then"
The following users liked this post:
mphtrilogy (03-17-20)
Old 03-22-20, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Our local record store guy posted this just now.

The following users liked this post:
kefrank (03-23-20)
Old 04-18-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Today is (what would have been) Record Store Day.

Look around and see if your local store has a Discogs or E-bay page. Buy something from them today.
Old 04-18-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Our local record store guy posted this just now.

That's a good one. I have the one has Bono instead.
Old 04-18-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Factory is my shop.
Old 04-21-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Howdy neighbor.
Old 04-29-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RSD 2020 will now be three "drops" of RSD-exclusives on August 29, September 26, and October 24.

It seems annoying, but I guess spreading it across three days will help record store revenues, which HAVE to be hurting right now. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2-3 of my regular haunts don't survive the year, and that will be a damn shame.