DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Singer Duffy reveals she was 'raped, drugged and held captive’ (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/649931-singer-duffy-reveals-she-raped-drugged-held-captive%92.html)

Decker 02-26-20 11:30 AM

Singer Duffy reveals she was 'raped, drugged and held captive’

I admit I haven't thought much about Duffy in a decade, but this is really shocking :

Singer Duffy reveals she was 'raped, drugged and held captive' in Instagram post

Elise Solé
Yahoo CelebrityFebruary 25, 2020, 1:49 PM PST

Singer Duffy says she was 'drugged, raped and kidnapped' in Instagram post
Yahoo Entertainment
https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/tj...9a2_o_U_v2.jpg
Scroll back up to restore default view.Singer Duffy revealed that she had been “raped, drugged and held captive” in a Tuesday Instagram post.

“You can only imagine the amount of times I thought about writing this,” the 35-year-old Welsh singer, whose real name is Aimee Duffy, wrote. “The way I would write it, how I would feel thereafter. Well, not entirely sure why now is the right time, and what it is that feels exciting and liberating for me to talk. I cannot explain it. Many of you wonder what happened to me, where did I disappear to and why.”

In 2011, several years after her hit single “Mercy” from the album Rockferry, the singer essentially fell off public radar. “A journalist contacted me, he found a way to reach me and I told him everything this past summer. He was kind and it felt so amazing to finally speak,” she explained. “The truth is, and please trust me I am ok and safe now, I was raped and drugged and held captive over some days.”

The Grammy-award winner continued, “Of course I survived. The recovery took time. There’s no light way to say it. But I can tell you in the last decade, the thousands and thousands of days I committed to wanting to feel the sunshine in my heart again, the sun does now shine.”
She also addressed unspoken questions from fans: “You wonder why I did not choose to use my voice to express my pain?” she said. “I did not want to show the world the sadness in my eyes. I asked myself, how can I sing from the heart if it is broken? And slowly it unbroke.”

Duffy promised to share more information in a “spoken interview,” adding, “I have a sacred love and sincere appreciation for your kindness over the years. You have been friends. I want to thank you for that.” She also asked that fans respect the privacy of her family and to “support me to make this a positive experience.”

There is not an abundance of recent information on Duffy, who, after her follow-up album Endlessly, recorded three songs for the 2015 film Legend. In December, she posted a Facebook photo with the mysterious caption “2020,” prompting fans to beg, “Please come back” and to interpret it as a sign of an upcoming album.

On Tuesday, fans retreated to that Facebook post, writing, “You are a strong woman Duffy“ and “You were quite right to take as long as you needed, the most important thing is your wellbeing and health which should always come first.”

JeffTheAlpaca 02-26-20 09:48 PM

Re: Singer Duffy reveals she was 'raped, drugged and held captive’

I wondered what happened to her

I thought maybe her 15 minutes of fame expired.

She came around the same time as Adele.

TomOpus 02-26-20 10:31 PM

I bought Rockferry. Thought it was pretty good.

Spiderbite 02-27-20 08:26 AM

Has anyone actually investigated her claims or is this maybe just a cry for attention?

fujishig 02-27-20 08:26 AM

This reminds me of the story (completely unrelated) where Jessica Alba, while a 15 year old filming Flipper, was found bound, blindfolded, and gagged in a car after like a 14 hour search for her.

The Questyen 02-27-20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13694210)
Has anyone actually investigated her claims or is this maybe just a cry for attention?

Jesus christ dude.

JeffTheAlpaca 02-28-20 02:24 AM

You never know since she has been out of the spotlight for a long time

Spiderbite 02-28-20 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13694524)
Jesus christ dude.

How is that an awful question to ask? People make up crazy shit all the time.

statcat 02-29-20 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13695051)

In the age of "me too" you should expect reactions like that. Same thing went down on Steve Hoffman forum just because the OP put "claims" in the title.

EddieMoney 02-29-20 07:42 AM

Because women never lie for attention, ever. /s

Norm de Plume 03-01-20 03:29 PM

Hopefully a scumbag somewhere is shitting his pants.

gerrythedon 04-05-20 10:54 PM

Duffy Recounts Being Drugged, Kidnapped and Raped: 'My Life Was in Immediate Danger'

"It was my birthday," Duffy wrote. "I was drugged at a restaurant, I was drugged then for four weeks and travelled to a foreign country. I can’t remember getting on the plane and came round in the back of a travelling vehicle. I was put into a hotel room and the perpetrator returned and raped me.""I remember the pain and trying to stay conscious in the room after it happened. I was stuck with him for another day, he didn’t look at me, I was to walk behind him, I was somewhat conscious and withdrawn. I could have been disposed of by him," she said.

Duffy continued: "I contemplated running away to the neighbouring city or town, as he slept, but had no cash and I was afraid he would call the police on me, for running away, and maybe they would track me down as a missing person. I do not know how I had the strength to endure those days, I did feel the presence of something that helped me stay alive. I flew back with him, I stayed calm and as normal as someone could in a situation like that, and when I got home, I sat, dazed, like a zombie. I knew my life was in immediate danger, he made veiled confessions of wanting to kill me. With what little strength I had, my instinct was to then run, to run and find somewhere to live that he could not find."

Duffy said that upon her return home, someone she knew described her as "like a dead person."

"They were obviously frightened but did not want to interfere," she wrote. Duffy explained that she, too, was frightened. She feared she was in danger and would be killed, so she did not go straight to the police.

She has since reported the terrifying experience to the police -- although the first person she told was her psychologist -- and says "the identity of the rapist should be only handled by the police, and that is between me and them."

"The thought of recovering was almost impossible," Duffy, who said she was "on the run" and relocated several times afterward, "never feeling safe from the rapist."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...d-drugged-post

atrium 04-05-20 11:20 PM

I remember Duffy. She's getting compared to Adele, but I always much preferred her music.

I don't think it's that terrible of a question. It is a bit of a strange story, we haven't heard from her in like 10 years and this is the first thing we hear about?

An unfortunate reality of human nature is that as we see society become more sympathetic to certain victims, we see people willing to manipulate those sympathies. Just ask this guy:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...167537c5b.jpeg

I wonder if there's a publicly available police report on the case?

Norm de Plume 04-06-20 03:32 PM

It is unclear where this occurred. I just hope the statute of limitations hasn't expired.