DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Order/Pet Shop Boys Unity Tour North America (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/649926-new-order-pet-shop-boys-unity-tour-north-america.html)

Daytripper 02-25-20 08:49 PM

New Order/Pet Shop Boys Unity Tour North America

What a great double bill. And the first time New Order have played New York, Philadelphia and D.C. during the same tour in years. I could do all three! :)

New Order - New Order - The Unity Tour 2020

Decker 02-26-20 12:32 AM

Re: New Order/Pet Shop Boys Unity Tour North America

Damn, I want to see that show. Not enough to drive to L.A. and suffer through the Hollywood Bowl though

dex14 02-26-20 06:40 AM

I’m considering going to The Mann because New Order is awesome live. I don’t care much for Pet Shop Boys though.

Daytripper 02-26-20 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13693523)
I’m considering going to The Mann because New Order is awesome live. I don’t care much for Pet Shop Boys though.

I love the Pet Shop Boys first two albums. "Behavior" and "Very" also are quite good. The rest though, not a fan. I saw them live once a few years ago and that was an interesting show. Said to my friend as I was leaving that once was enough. New Order though are amazing live.

Daytripper 02-26-20 11:45 AM

Wow, tickets for this tour are pretty outrageous. Best seats for stinkin' Merriweather Post are $170.00 without the fees. My friend said tickets at MSG are $200.00 (also without fees). Tickets were only $80.00 at the Anthem in D.C. just two years. Better venue and commute. Sadly I think I'm going to have to pass.

dex14 02-26-20 11:47 AM

That’s what happens when it’s a co-headline tour. A lot of those good seats are considered “premium” and just get marked up.

$150 for a Pit GA at Merriweather isn’t terrible.

Rex Fenestrarum 02-26-20 12:29 PM

Wow... when did you guys see New Order? I know probably 20 people who've seen them live, a couple multiple times, and their consensus is New Order sucks live. I even saw something in my Facebook feed yesterday where someone posted about this tour, and at least two responses were "New Order isn't ripping me off again" and "Sounds great if you like being disappointed".

I always thought maybe it was just their 80s and 90s shows that sucked, because Sumner has admitted they were off their gourd for about 20 years... but I've heard tons of their live tracks and haven't been impressed. And it's not just shitty bootleg sound quality: New Order's BBC Radio Live in Concert sounds pretty awful.

Daytripper 02-26-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 13693723)
Wow... when did you guys see New Order? I know probably 20 people who've seen them live, a couple multiple times, and their consensus is New Order sucks live. I even saw something in my Facebook feed yesterday where someone posted about this tour, and at least two responses were "New Order isn't ripping me off again" and "Sounds great if you like being disappointed".

I always thought maybe it was just their 80s and 90s shows that sucked, because Sumner has admitted they were off their gourd for about 20 years... but I've heard tons of their live tracks and haven't been impressed. And it's not just shitty bootleg sound quality: New Order's BBC Radio Live in Concert sounds pretty awful.

New Order sucked live in the 80’s and 90’s. I don’t know what happened, but they are fantastic now. I started seeing them again about 7 years ago. Was blown away. And each show since has been just as great. Also, there are very few live tracks from any band that I’ve ever heard that I thought were great. Live albums just never did anything for me. Sumner’s voice has always been weak. It really shows on their live stuff.

dex14 02-26-20 03:58 PM

Yea, I saw them at Lollapalooza a few years back.

Also, Hooky's band is great too.

hal9000 03-03-20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 13693723)

True, their "Live" recordings aren't the same but I've actually grown to love them for the very reason that they sound slightly different from their mixed studio albums. That BBC album you reference is one of my favorites today in addition to the Peel Sessions and their more recent live NOMC15 release. They grow on you, they really do.

I saw them back in the 1980's and they absolutely did suck, and it wasn't a "context" thing like, if you were one of the very few who were lucky enough to see Joy Division or the Sex Pistols early gigs when they had a raw impact, and was a life changing experience - and I was one who just didn't "get it" no, New Order in the 1980's were heavily drugged-out-of-their-minds and were totally mailing-it-in while cashing a paycheck. Their shows back then were lazy. That being said, I've seen them twice recently in as many years and both times they were fucking amazing! That, along with Peter Hook solo (also a fantastic gig), I would highly recommend and I can only image these co-headlined shows are going to be bonkers as far as a good time is concerned - hopefully, though The Pet Shop Boys will dial back the Miami disco sound that has plagued there music for the past 20+ years. Everything the PSB put out up to 1991-ish is amazing, everything else is utter garbage, save for their 2009 release album Yes that was halfway decent with a great lead track "Love Etc." and most of their 2013 Electric album with highlights "Fluorescent" and "Thursday" totally worth giving a listen.