Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rush drummer, Neil Peart dead at 67

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rush drummer, Neil Peart dead at 67

Old 01-10-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Rush drummer, Neil Peart dead at 67

Very sad day.

Old 01-10-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

Here is my favorite pic I took from the R40 show in Houston. I didn't actually know I was going to be in the front row until I got to the venue, and it was amazing since I kind of knew this was the end of their touring days. The stage stayed lit like this for about 10 minutes before they started tearing everything down. I had it printed and framed with my ticket. Now looking at it, it makes me really sad.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 01-11-20 at 05:34 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SmackDaddy:
andicus (01-10-20), devilshalo (01-10-20), faust69 (01-11-20), The Infidel (01-10-20)
Old 01-10-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 359 Posts

Been tearing up at my desk all day.

When I entered high school in 1982. I made three close friends. I was into AC/DC, one was into The Police, another into Springsteen and the last was into RUSH (he was a drummer). We were all into RUSH. Our first concert hanging out was RUSH on their signals tour. Through our lives the one constant was RUSH. We'd rate the albums. We had our own top 5. It didn't matter what year or decade, we went to RUSH concerts. We subjected our significant others to RUSH. Between us, I'd say we've been to somewhere around 60 RUSH shows... including the last one at the Forum. When our Springsteen friend got glioblastoma, we stuck together until his death. Always talking about RUSH. Snakes and Arrows had been released, and then Counterparts. It was our common bond above all else. And to know Neil passed because he had the same cancer, I can only hope that Geddy and Alex were there, too. to comfort him and say goodbye. So long, Professor. Thank you for the years of music and memories. I know it's going to hit our drummer friend hard. He and his wife had become friends with Neil's drum tech, Gump. He has one of Neil's R30 kits.

The following users liked this post:
faust69 (01-11-20)
Old 01-10-20, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I saw a ton of Rush shows in the late '80s and early '90s. When they did their "farewell" tour I assumed they were just done with big tours, and that they'll still put out albums and play one-off shows here and there, no idea he was at death's door. Guess he had the brain cancer for almost 4 years and he bowed out at his last opportunity. Such a bummer.
Old 01-10-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

This hurts so much. We saw the opening show of their final tour. At least I got to share that experience with my daughter. 💔
Old 01-10-20, 09:12 PM

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Damn.
Old 01-10-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts

Bummer

Me and my brother went to see Rush at Winterland in S.F. back in the late seventies. Amazing drum solo at the concert.
Old 01-10-20, 09:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 168 Posts

RIP to one of the greatest drummers of all time. This really sucks.
Old 01-10-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 354 Posts

I am gutted and devastated in ways I can't even begin to describe. I wrote this self-indulgent testimonial about Rush whilst reviewing their R40 show in Tampa for my blog. Seems kind of fitting to share it today. I dunno... RIP Neil.

I have this awesome childhood summertime memory, from the age of 12. I had broken my foot in a bizarre Tae Kwan Doe/Running incident (don’t ask) and had spent much of the spring of 1983 in a miserable cast. When my foot had finally healed, I couldn’t wait to get back on my bike again. By then it was almost summer vacation, that time of open and endless carefree fun and possibility.

I had a $10 allowance, and with that cash infusion I had a pretty set routine every Saturday. I’d throw three bucks into my football-shaped bank, then I’d hop on my bike and ride to the 7-Eleven on South Dixie Highway and SW 152nd Street (still there). There I’d buy some comics, a Snickers, and a Coke, then ride over to Coral Reef Park. I’d sit under a tree, enjoy my wildly teeth-enrottening, nutrition-less snacks, read my comics, place my Walkman headphones over my ears… and listen to Rush.

Earlier that year Rush had become my favorite rock band (after The Beatles, natch). Thanks to that time-honored teenage tradition of totally ripping off the Columbia Record & Tape Club for all you could manage, I acquired a pretty decent collection of their albums. I specifically remember audio-devouring Permanent Waves, Exit… Stage Left, All The World’s A Stage, Fly By Night, 2112, and Moving Pictures like they were going out of style.

Exit: Stage Left was probably my favorite of the bunch, as it was the band’s seminal live album. Not only did it contain a classic collection of tunes, it made me feel like I was there watching, listening, becoming part of the experience. Hearing Geddy Lee announce “This is The Spirit of Radio…” as Alex Lifeson ripped into that opening shred was my invitation to go along with the ride. And I simply couldn’t get enough of anything the band had to offer.

What was it about Rush that captured my attention more than other bands at the time? I wish I could definitively codify this, for my own gratification. I suppose I could say it was simply everything about Rush that appealed to me. Their musicianship was top-notch, across the board. I absolutely loved the textured atmospherics of Alex Lifeson’s chord progressions, the thundering power of his riffs, and his masterful ability to shred like any guitar hero worth their salt. Geddy Lee’s bass playing was extraordinary to my (and most people’s) ears — fluid, melodic, emblematic of soulful virtuosity. The man could sing, play incredible bass lines, do keyboards with his feet, and probably fire off a dozen MIDI sequencers using telepathic commands. And do I really need to say anything about Neil Peart on the drums? The man is legend. Period.

But with those lyrics — the themes, the explorations of ideas as vast as the cosmos, as immediate as the human heart, as wild and uncharted as the imagination — it seemed like each song, be it a radio single or an epic 10 minute prog piece, took you on some strange, wonderful, memorable journey. I’d sit under that tree in the park, listening to 2112, staring off into the distance while the music whisked me away into a whole other universe of possibility. Plus it really rocked too, y’know?

I’ve loved Rush ever since, although my immediate interest in the band has ebbed and flowed over the years. Some albums and eras I liked more than others, but I always came back to their music in the end. It was way, way too ingrained in my DNA to ever really turn away from it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hokeyboy:
andicus (01-10-20), devilshalo (01-11-20), SmackDaddy (01-11-20)
Old 01-10-20, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Sad news indeed, R.I.P. Neil.
Old 01-11-20, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 119 Posts

Love Rush, especially Neil's drumming. Definitely the GOAT. Really sad news.
Old 01-11-20, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Whoaaa ohhhh!!!!!! You can be the captain, I will draw the chart!!!!!!!!!! Sailing into destiny Closer to the heart!!!!!!
Old 01-11-20, 04:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This one hit me like a gut punch. RIP Neil. GOAT.
Old 01-11-20, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

RIP Neil... What a shock.
Old 01-11-20, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horrible news. I had no idea he was even ill.

For the past couple of weeks, I've played nothing but RUSH.

Been a fan since I was 12 years old. I'm 55 now.

Damn.
Old 01-11-20, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Really sad news

Old 01-11-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

OMG...just was floored by this...I literally listened to one of their Greatest Hits Album just the other day. He was one of those I would pay to play solo.....definitely in my Top 5 Drummers of All-Time...Keith Moon at Number 1....both of which had enough energy to power the entire concert hall they played in......Won't be another like him just like Keith.....thanks for all the great stuff....

Tom Sawyer Live 2003 Rio.....the song that defined the group...

Last edited by K&AJones; 01-11-20 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-12-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 156 Likes on 108 Posts

Lots of Rush playing on TV shows and football segments today.
Old 01-13-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 150 Posts

Yeah I caught that. Nice.
Old 01-16-20, 05:11 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

SiriusXM Deep Tracks station been playing Rush non-stop all week. It's been great
Old 01-16-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 690 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Here is my favorite pic I took from the R40 show in Houston. I didn't actually know I was going to be in the front row until I got to the venue, and it was amazing since I kind of knew this was the end of their touring days. The stage stayed lit like this for about 10 minutes before they started tearing everything down. I had it printed and framed with my ticket. Now looking at it, it makes me really sad.
Spoiler:

Was the spartan stage setup a "thing" for this tour? The amps sitting on ordinary chairs, microphones dangled in front rather than mounted on stands, etc.
Old 01-16-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Was the spartan stage setup a "thing" for this tour? The amps sitting on ordinary chairs, microphones dangled in front rather than mounted on stands, etc.
For this final tour of theirs, they went "backwards", starting with their newest material, and ending the show playing stuff from their first album, and the stage reflected that, as it got more sparse and "back to basics" as the show went on, ending on that "spartan" stage you see there.
Old 01-17-20, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 690 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
For this final tour of theirs, they went "backwards", starting with their newest material, and ending the show playing stuff from their first album, and the stage reflected that, as it got more sparse and "back to basics" as the show went on, ending on that "spartan" stage you see there.
So.....Stop Making Sense in reverse? Interesting idea, and definitely harder to pull off.
Old 02-23-20, 12:00 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

A touching tribute by the United States Army Band

Old 02-23-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 134 Likes on 85 Posts

Didn't know at first if a tribute to a drummer without using drums is awkward or intentional (ie Neil's gone, so drums are gone). I'll go for the latter.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.