Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RnR Hall of Fame 2020 nominees announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RnR Hall of Fame 2020 nominees announced

Old 10-15-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
Re: RnR Hall of Fame 2020 nominees announced

Originally Posted by Decker

Faith Evans and Lil Kim.
Isn't that Lindsay Lohan on the left !?
Old 10-15-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Has Notorious BIG done anything memorable except getting murdered?
I don't mind Juicy, but for the most part I never understood the appeal.
Old 10-16-19, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That's a radical redefinition of the term. A redefinition that only came up in the last few years.
No. It began in the late 50s when mainstream music charts began to be dominated by music aimed at teens and 20s. The top 40 stations became the rock and roll stations. Traditional top 40, Sinatra, etc., got moved over into their own chart and radio stations. If a traditional pop vocal record entered the main top 40 it was considered a crossover.
This is why Simon and Garfunkel are considered Rock & Roll. Along with Carpenters, Jim Croce, James Taylor, Seals & Crofts, etc. That's why they coined the term "soft rock".
Old 10-16-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Every year the screech owls come out with the "it's not rock and roll" warcry.
Old 10-16-19, 12:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

While I can roll with Pop acts who have little to do with R&R getting in like Donna Summer, Madonna and Janet Jackson, I have to draw the line at Whitney Houston. She was an undeniable talent. But she was the antithesis of Rock and Roll. She had what, two uptempo hits in her career (three if you count I'm Every Woman, but that's a remake of another 2020 Nominee's hit). You can make a case that Madonna and Donna Summer were influential on Rock (I guess), but certainly not Whitney Houston. That is the type of music people who hate rock listen to. If you induct her, you should have already inducted Barbra Streisand who was the original pop ballad diva -- and of course she's never been considered. If this was the Grammy Hall of Fame, she would absolutely be worthy, but in Cleveland she really shouldn't be on the short list.
I think you have a mischaracterizaion of Whitney Houston. She wasn’t a pop ballad diva. She made dance floor music, just like Madonna. David Byrne is an admirer of hers.

Originally Posted by Paff
And I don't understand why people think that "Rock and Roll" ONLY means guitar-driven hard rock. Genres like rap and hip-hop (and believe me, I'm NOT a fan of that style of music) is just as rock-and-roll as Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith.

The honky-tonk inspired piano of Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard are just as rock and roll as the screaming guitars of Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen, and yes, the beats of Run-DMC and NWA. "Rock and Roll" encompasses MANY styles.
This is just Twilight Zone. It does nothing to help either genre by pretending they are the same.

The corporate suits got married to the idea of a Rock and Roll HOF back when rock still dominated the top 40. Now that times have changed they just want to be able to look relevant and cool so they induct old rap acts. That’s all.

Old 10-16-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

I think you have a mischaracterizaion of Whitney Houston. She wasn’t a pop ballad diva. She made dance floor music, just like Madonna. David Byrne is an admirer of hers.

Top 10 Pop Music Divas of All Time

Whitney Houston's self-titled debut album released in 1985 became the bestselling debut album by a female artist of all time. Houston also earned success as a film actress. Her second album was the first by a woman to debut at the top of the album chart. Four studio albums, a movie soundtrack, and her greatest hits collection are all estimated to have sold 10 million copies or more around the world. Houston became the first artist ever to release seven consecutive No. 1 singles. She died tragically at age 48 in 2012.

Houston was given credit for continuing to break down color lines in popular music in the late 1980s. She was just as popular with mainstream pop audiences as with R&B audiences. Her music videos beginning with 1985's "How Will I Know" were popular on MTV.

Top Five Hits

• 1992 - "I Will Always Love You" - No. 1
  • 1986 - "Greatest Love of All" - No. 1
  • 1987 - "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - No. 1
  • 1990 - "
    " - No. 1
  • 1987 - "Didn't We Almost Have It All" - No. 1

Yes she had a couple of upbeat dance hits. But very, very few. She was primarily a pop ballad singer and that is what she is mostly known for.

It will be interesting to see if she gets in because she's an undeniable talent, an all-timer. But like I said, not really a Rock and Roll artist or influence.
The following users liked this post:
Sonny Corinthos (01-15-20)
Old 10-16-19, 02:44 PM
Banned

You likened her to Barbara Streisand and said her music is for people who hate rock. That’s overdoing it a bit.

As your article points out her music was popular on MTV.

Old 10-16-19, 02:56 PM
Banned

To refresh my memory I just skimmed through her first album. Plenty of up beat pop r&b.

But her greatest hits album is nuts. It doesn’t even have I Wanna Dance With Somebody on it. Nor does it have How Will I Know. It’s all her ballads. Did she distance herself from her early work at some point? It’s strange.

Nevermind I Wanna Dance is on there. But its a horrible remix.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-16-19 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-16-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I find it sort of dumb that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has to choose from a list of nominees. I mean if they’ve already deemed these acts worthy of a nomination why not just put them in? It just seems like a waste of time to me.
Old 10-16-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

You likened her to Barbara Streisand and said her music is for people who hate rock. That’s overdoing it a bit.

As your article points out her music was popular on MTV.

Barbra Streisand had a few dance hits as well, with Barry Gibb and with Donna Summer (both R&R HoF inductees), and also dabbled in rock a bit and had a hit with a cover of a Jim Steinman/Meatloaf song (and as a serious aside, HOW THE HELL ARE THEY NOT IN THE HALL OF FAME YET?). They both also parlayed their singing career into a hit movie playing a character based loosely on their own personas. There are a lot more similarities than differences and I struggle to see how one is more deserving of the HoF than the other, besides the fact that Houston was most popular during MTV's heyday and Streisand's peak predated MTV's debut.
Old 10-16-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
They're almost as much fun as the "The RnR HoF is a complete joke until the obscure band I adore but most people couldn't give two shits about is in there."

It's so tiresome I really don't care who is in or out anymore. All I know is the actual hall in Cleveland has a lot of extremely cool shit in it.
Old 10-16-19, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes she had a couple of upbeat dance hits. But very, very few. She was primarily a pop ballad singer and that is what she is mostly known for.

It will be interesting to see if she gets in because she's an undeniable talent, an all-timer. But like I said, not really a Rock and Roll artist or influence.
Well, she did live a rock and roll lifestyle and had a proper rock and roll death.
Old 10-17-19, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Dealing drugs and beating women?

But they let John Lennon in, so beating women isn't a deal-breaker.
If he gets in Biz Markie and Kriss Kross should be on the 2020 ballot.
Old 10-17-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I loved Soundgarden back in the day but are they really worthy of HOF?
Yes they are, go back and listen to Superunknown and down on the upside - some very, very underrated songs on those albums. Cornell's vocal's and Cameron's drumming are outstanding as well.
Old 10-17-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Would T Rex be the first one-hit wonder band to be in the RnR HoF?

Old 10-17-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

If T Rex is a "one-hit wonder" (and there's a LOT of evidence to show they're not...hell, I don't even know if the one hit you're talking about is Bang a Gong or Jeepster), that's still one more than the Ramones had over their career, and no one would dare say they don't belong in the HoF.
Old 10-17-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Would T Rex be the first one-hit wonder band to be in the RnR HoF?
They had a lot of hits in the UK. Never managed to break it big in the U.S. There was one other U.S. minor hit "Hot Love". Slade is the same way. Ton of hits in UK, zilch in U.S.
Old 10-17-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
They had a lot of hits in the UK. Never managed to break it big in the U.S. There was one other U.S. minor hit "Hot Love". Slade is the same way. Ton of hits in UK, zilch in U.S.
I bought the T Rex double dvd a few years ago and wasn't impressed.

I remember a few songs besides Bang-a-Gong and I feel that Mark Bolan was overrated as a performer and a Poor Man's David Bowie(I think Bowie was first in Glam Rock).

Golden Earring should be in the HoF along with A-Ha(did they ever make it?). Plus Status Quo were big elsewhere and only had one big hit in the USA.
Old 10-17-19, 11:54 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

And I don't understand why people think that "Rock and Roll" ONLY means guitar-driven hard rock. Genres like rap and hip-hop (and believe me, I'm NOT a fan of that style of music) is just as rock-and-roll as Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith.

The honky-tonk inspired piano of Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard are just as rock and roll as the screaming guitars of Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen, and yes, the beats of Run-DMC and NWA. "Rock and Roll" encompasses MANY styles.
None of this is rock-and-roll, and it's a ridiculously liberal uses of the word to include them

Run-DMC sampling a rock and roll guitar lick for a song does not make them rock and roll.

Rock and roll to me is a genre, not an attitude.

I love NWA, Run-DMC, 2Pac, and Notorious B.I.G., so this isn't some bias on my part

But by your definition we may as well rename it the "Badass Musicians Hall of Fame", because all it takes to be rock-and-roll is to be rebellious
Old 10-18-19, 03:01 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Because it's not.

De La Soul doesn't belong in the Jazz Hall of Fame.

The Rolling Stones don't belong in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Linkin Park doesn't belong in the Rap Hall of Fame.

The only time this debate comes up is in the Rock Hall of Fame, because the organization is more concerned with being culturally relevant than with what their stated objective is. Granted they've been the laughing stock of music fans and musicians for a long time. But it never gets old making fun of their attempts to stay culturally relevant, not unlike the magazine Rolling Stone
Old 10-18-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I was debating whether or not to ask this, but for those who say "rap is not rock and roll", then please clearly define "rock and roll". Please do it without citing specific acts. Not saying this to be snarky, it's a genuine question. And when I thought about it myself, I really couldn't answer it; rock and roll was already the melding of various styles of music, and has gone through so many changes over the course of the last 60+ years that almost anything could be considered rock and roll. Which is why I have no problems with rap being included. I'm also aware that rap artists and fans don't consider themselves rock and roll, but that doesn't mean it's true.

That said, I do think the Hall has woefully ignored heavy metal acts (and I despise metal almost as much as I despise rap so believe me this is not due to personal preference).

Also, I looked it up, and I don't see Todd Rundgren in the "non-performers" section, and considering he produced nearly every record from 1974-1982 (many for HoF performers), it's a glaring oversight.
Old 10-18-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Wondering how on earth Smashing Pumpkins is not nominated but I don't have much of an issue with the actual rock act nominees.
Old 10-18-19, 01:47 PM
Banned

I was debating whether or not to ask this, but for those who say "rap is not rock and roll", then please clearly define "rock and roll". Please do it without citing specific acts. Not saying this to be snarky, it's a genuine question. And when I thought about it myself, I really couldn't answer it; rock and roll was already the melding of various styles of music, and has gone through so many changes over the course of the last 60+ years that almost anything could be considered rock and roll. Which is why I have no problems with rap being included. I'm also aware that rap artists and fans don't consider themselves rock and roll, but that doesn't mean it's true.

That said, I do think the Hall has woefully ignored heavy metal acts (and I despise metal almost as much as I despise rap so believe me this is not due to personal preference).

Also, I looked it up, and I don't see Todd Rundgren in the "non-performers" section, and considering he produced nearly every record from 1974-1982 (many for HoF performers), it's a glaring oversight.
Rock and Roll is American blues, race music (which would later be redubbed “R&B”), and what was called Hillbilly Music (later Country Music) played in an uptempo style with an emphasis on the rhythm section and guitars. It’s forward facing and performed at the listener. Since the term Rock and Roll itself borrowed from a slang word for sex, it typically contains some element that is rebellious or revolutionary (sexually, politically, socially).

That wasn’t so hard.

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-18-19 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-18-19, 02:27 PM
Former Member

Rock and Roll is American blues, race music (which would later be redubbed “R&B”), and what was called Hillbilly Music (later Country Music) played in an uptempo style with an emphasis on the rhythm section and guitars. It’s forward facing and performed at the listener. Since the term Rock and Roll itself borrowed from a slang word for sex, it typically contains some element that is rebellious or revolutionary (sexually, politically, socially).

That wasn’t so hard.
Adding on to this, rock's emphasis is usually on instrumentation, with a catchy melody and a driving, insistent beat.

Rap's emphasis is on lyrics, rhythm and cadence. The rhythmic music usually functions as a backdrop for the rapper to speak in rhymes over. Synthesizers, bass, turntables, and drums usually provide the beat. It has much more in common with poetry than it does with rock music.

I think the better question is, what makes rap music a subset of rock music? I've never once heard anyone classify it under the umbrella of rock music until now.
Old 10-18-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That wasn’t so hard.
You mean like Genesis?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.