Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

RnR Hall of Fame 2020 nominees announced

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

RnR Hall of Fame 2020 nominees announced

Old 10-18-19, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: RnR Hall of Fame 2020 nominees announced

Early Genesis was a bit political and their look and sound was very transgressive. And their members were socially rebellious, part of the counter culture and whatnot.
Old 10-18-19, 05:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium View Post
Adding on to this, rock's emphasis is usually on instrumentation, with a catchy melody and a driving, insistent beat.

Rap's emphasis is on lyrics, rhythm and cadence. The rhythmic music usually functions as a backdrop for the rapper to speak in rhymes over. Synthesizers, bass, turntables, and drums usually provide the beat. It has much more in common with poetry than it does with rock music.

I think the better question is, what makes rap music a subset of rock music? I've never once heard anyone classify it under the umbrella of rock music until now.
Yes, rap is very post modern. It is like poetry. It’s also like stand up comedy. And some of it comes from black social/comic games like “The Dozens”. Match that with sampling and you’ve got something that’s very different.

Old 10-18-19, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 126 Posts

If I was in charge I'd induct classic album covers, artists like R. Crumb, even Max Yasgur for owning a farm.
Old 10-18-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 721 Likes on 563 Posts

Max Yazgur ABSOLUTELY belongs in the HoF
Old 10-18-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I was debating whether or not to ask this, but for those who say "rap is not rock and roll", then please clearly define "rock and roll". Please do it without citing specific acts. Not saying this to be snarky, it's a genuine question. And when I thought about it myself, I really couldn't answer it; rock and roll was already the melding of various styles of music, and has gone through so many changes over the course of the last 60+ years that almost anything could be considered rock and roll. Which is why I have no problems with rap being included. I'm also aware that rap artists and fans don't consider themselves rock and roll, but that doesn't mean it's true.
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Rock and Roll is American blues, race music (which would later be redubbed ďR&BĒ), and what was called Hillbilly Music (later Country Music) played in an uptempo style with an emphasis on the rhythm section and guitars. Itís forward facing and performed at the listener. Since the term Rock and Roll itself borrowed from a slang word for sex, it typically contains some element that is rebellious or revolutionary (sexually, politically, socially).
I would assume it comes down to "I know it when I hear it."

Or whatever musicians want to self-identify or market themselves as.

In its original form, it was a blend of early 20th century country-western and rhythm-and-blues music.

But, decades later, it has evolved past that point. For example, a number of heavy metals have little blues or country influence, and seem more influenced by classical or opera. An act like Iron Maiden is far removed from Hank Williams and Robert Johnson, and more extreme metal acts even moreso.

There isn't really any kind of hard-and-fast formula that we can hold music up to an say whether or not it's rock and roll. The closest I can really get to is that it is guitar and drum-based, but even then, that formula seems to excludes artists like Elton John and includes any number of current country-western acts.

And another thing to consider is that rock and roll (and many of subgenres like metal and alternative) acts tend to absorb all kinds of influences. Like above, I mentioned how some metal borrows heavily from classical and opera. Rock and roll also borrows from others genres like rap, funk, reggae, jazz, electronica, and disco.

Old 01-15-20, 09:07 AM

Received 3,430 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Congratulations to the newest Inductees into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In the Performer Category:
  • Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • T. Rex
Ahmet Ertegun Award:
  • Jon Landau
  • Irving Azoff
These new Inductees will be celebrated at the 35th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, presented by Klipsch Audio, on Saturday, May 2, 2020 at Public Auditorium in Cleveland, Ohio. The Ceremony will be broadcast live for the first time on HBO on May 2nd at 8 p.m. ET. Performances and special guests and Induction Week programs will be announced later.
Old 01-15-20, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 622 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post

I remember a few songs besides Bang-a-Gong and I feel that Mark Bolan was overrated as a performer and a Poor Man's David Bowie(I think Bowie was first in Glam Rock).
Bolan went glam before Bowie.
Old 01-15-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 312 Likes on 254 Posts

Yet another horrible year of snubs. Awful.
Old 01-15-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worthy inductees, and I like how they encompass various styles and eras of rock and roll (and yes, rap does belong). Still, none of them will make me want to watch the ceremony, unless they somehow bring Marc Bolan back from the dead for T-Rex's part.
Old 01-15-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Rap/Hip-Hop does belong, doesn't Heavy Metal? Doesn't Hard Rock?

I mean, there are MORE Rap/Hip-Hop acts inducted (7) than there are Metal acts (2). That's bullshit.

When it comes to Hard Rock the numbers are a little better (not great, but better), but Metal is still snubbed.

Judas Priest should have been in years ago. Ronnie James Dio should have been in years ago. Iron Maiden should have been in years ago.
The following users liked this post:
Fist of Doom Jr (01-15-20)
Old 01-15-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do not disagree with a single word of that.
Old 01-15-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 4,053 Likes on 2,745 Posts

^ I'm with you 100% B5Erik, those three are WAY more deserving of induction. This is maybe the worst class I've ever seen. Definitely skipping the special this year. Part of it is that I have hated Depeche Mode since the 80s. Part of it is, like I said when the finalists came out, Whitney Houston absolutely does not belong. It's one thing to induct a pop singer who does dance music like Madonna or a disco pioneer like Donna Summer, but Whitney Houston is a pop ballad singer, almost exclusively. How was she influential to Rock? I could buy the case for someone like Beyonce who has been hugely influential to the entire music scene, but Whitney wasn't. If she gets inducted, why not Barbra Streisand? Why not The Carpenters? Why not Sinatra?
Old 01-15-20, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't like the Whitney Houston induction either. I was fine with Janet Jackson, as she had more of a rock attitude. Now I guess Mariah Carey will make it.

BTW, if they want to induct more women, Sheryl Crow has been eligible for a couple of years now. I think she's more deserving than Stevie Nicks, for example.
Old 01-15-20, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A little shocked at the T-Rex pick. Thought they were largely forgotten other than Bang a Gong. Always liked but never loved them. Thought the music was pretty one dimensional boogie rock. Mott the Hoople was a far better band and had several songs that are classic rock staples.
Old 01-15-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
A little shocked at the T-Rex pick. Thought they were largely forgotten other than Bang a Gong. Always liked but never loved them. Thought the music was pretty one dimensional boogie rock. Mott the Hoople was a far better band and had several songs that are classic rock staples.
T-Rex was absolutely HUGE in the UK. Massive. They influenced Bowie.
Old 01-15-20, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
BTW, if they want to induct more women, Sheryl Crow has been eligible for a couple of years now. I think she's more deserving than Stevie Nicks, for example.
Absolutely. And maybe I'm a little biased because I know them personally, but how about the Go Go's? They certainly seem more Hall-worthy.
Old 01-15-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 245 Likes on 162 Posts

I wish they would just change the title to "The Music Hall Of Fame" so we don't get endless posts about what is and isn't rock n roll every time the list is announced.
Old 01-15-20, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I wish they would just change the title to "The Music Hall Of Fame" so we don't get endless posts about what is and isn't rock n roll every time the list is announced.
It SHOULD be called The Popular Music Hall of Fame, but they'll never do that because Rock and Roll just sounds so much cooler.

So they bastardize the term, change it to their whims and needs, and then EXCLUDE the purest, most basic elements form of Rock around and keep it out (mostly).

Thin Lizzy influenced almost every single Hard Rock band of the late 70's through the early 90's. And they were hugely successful in the UK, and very successful in Europe and Japan, and had moderate success in the US.

If Black Sabbath invented Heavy Metal, Judas Priest defined it. And they were hugely successful and influential as well.

And Motorhead? They're merely one of the most revered bands of the last 40 years.

Then you've got Iron Maiden and Ronnie James Dio. Both should have been inducted a decade ago.

The Hall is still a sham. They induct Rap/Hip-Hop and Pop acts like it's no big deal, but keep most Hard Rock and almost all Metal out. That's a problem.
Old 01-15-20, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Absolutely. And maybe I'm a little biased because I know them personally, but how about the Go Go's? They certainly seem more Hall-worthy.
Until I read your post, I assumed the Go Go's were already in. They certainly should be.
Old 01-15-20, 03:32 PM

Until I read your post, I assumed the Go Go's were already in. They certainly should be.
I think they have only been Finalists once.
Old 01-15-20, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,031 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
If Rap/Hip-Hop does belong, doesn't Heavy Metal? Doesn't Hard Rock?

I mean, there are MORE Rap/Hip-Hop acts inducted (7) than there are Metal acts (2). That's bullshit.

When it comes to Hard Rock the numbers are a little better (not great, but better), but Metal is still snubbed.

Judas Priest should have been in years ago. Ronnie James Dio should have been in years ago. Iron Maiden should have been in years ago.
I'm not a fan of metal, but yes those bands should have been in years ago.
Old 01-15-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

Max Yazgur ABSOLUTELY belongs in the HoF
For what? Renting a field?
Old 01-15-20, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
For what? Renting a field?
Yes!

Not as a performer, obviously, but they have inductees for journalism, producing, record execs, etc. Yazgur did as much as a lot of those clowns, even more. Some of those guys were just pencil pushers or signers of checks.
Old 01-15-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
^ I'm with you 100% B5Erik, those three are WAY more deserving of induction. This is maybe the worst class I've ever seen. Definitely skipping the special this year. Part of it is that I have hated Depeche Mode since the 80s. Part of it is, like I said when the finalists came out, Whitney Houston absolutely does not belong. It's one thing to induct a pop singer who does dance music like Madonna or a disco pioneer like Donna Summer, but Whitney Houston is a pop ballad singer, almost exclusively. How was she influential to Rock? I could buy the case for someone like Beyonce who has been hugely influential to the entire music scene, but Whitney wasn't. If she gets inducted, why not Barbra Streisand? Why not The Carpenters? Why not Sinatra?
I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan, especially their golden age (1986-1991). And I know they are not for everyone. But I've never met or spoke to anyone before who hated them. They have some truly great albums/songs IMO. And influenced quite a few artists including NIN and the Killers. I think they deserve to be in the RRHOF. I also think the Smiths should be there too as well as New Order. And Kraftwerk should have been inducted years ago. But it's criminal that Whitney Houston was picked over Pat Benatar. And while I might not be a fan of metal, I agree that there are so many metal bands that should be in the RRHOF too.
Old 01-16-20, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan, especially their golden age (1986-1991). And I know they are not for everyone. But I've never met or spoke to anyone before who hated them. They have some truly great albums/songs IMO. And influenced quite a few artists including NIN and the Killers. I think they deserve to be in the RRHOF. I also think the Smiths should be there too as well as New Order. And Kraftwerk should have been inducted years ago. But it's criminal that Whitney Houston was picked over Pat Benatar. And while I might not be a fan of metal, I agree that there are so many metal bands that should be in the RRHOF too.
I donít mean that Depeche is undeserving, just that I personally loathe them. Just my unpopular opinion. I find them whiny and dull. Would have much rather had The Smiths in. Then New Order. But even I can admit that ďJust Canít Get Enough ď is a really good song.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.