Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taking an 8 year old to a Taylor Swift concert

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Taking an 8 year old to a Taylor Swift concert

Old 10-07-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Taking an 8 year old to a Taylor Swift concert

Originally Posted by Mabuse
My first BIG show was Oingo Boingos farewell Halloween concert in ‘95.
Awesome. That is one of my favorite live albums.
Old 10-07-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I just looked up Ghost and you people are nuts. What are you guys trying to do to your kids?
Pretty sure I didn't warp my son, and he's seen the band twice! (sadly he's now developed his own tastes in music and doesn't care about Ghost anymore ) I've seen the band three times, and every time I see more kids in the audience, some of them painting their faces to look like the singer, they are kind of like a modern day KISS in that respect. And them having really catchy, melodic songs doesn't hurt either. It's not like I took my kid to a Gorgoroth gig.
Old 10-07-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

I saw the Irish punk band Stiff Little Fingers last week, and there was someone there with their toddler. Taylor Swift at 8 is nothing compared to that.
Old 10-07-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Taylor Swift turns 30 in December so her audience just can't be little girls.

Do it now since next year it might be more expensive

I don't think she will start touring until 2020 and she only has two U.S. stops

Taylor Swift on Tuesday announced her US and international concert dates and festivals for 2020.

They include Lover Fest West and Lover Fest East, her only US concert dates next year so far.

Swift will become the first woman to open an NFL stadium when Lover Fest West on July 25 and 26 kicks off Los Angeles' SoFi Stadium's inaugural year of events.
The following weekend, July 31 and August 1, Lover Fest East hits Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

Opening acts for Lover Fest West and Lover Fest East will be announced soon.

The rest of the dates are all outside the United States.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/enter...our/index.html
Old 10-08-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 386 Likes on 276 Posts

I took my kids to see Taylor back around 2010-2012 cant remember exactly but they were young about 8 and 10 the crowd was mostly tweens and I felt like an old pervert being around so many young girls even with my wife and kids there. Not my scene really but the kids loved it. was at Foxboro and was one of her first big arena tours. We had seats really close to her second remote stage which was a nice surprise as we were on the field but not terribly close to the actual main stage. She gawked at the crowd with this false awe shucks grin and it kind of killed my vibe for the show as it rang false...
Old 10-08-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Parking there is ridiculous too. I last went there in 2013 to see Lionel Richie in concert. It's $30 cash only and they stack cars. So you can literally be blocked for a long time after the show ends. I was blocked for 2 hours post show.
That was the first thought that came to me as well. I have only been to that venue once. My best friend and I flew there for the week and caught a Oasis/Jet show. The seats were terrible and waiting after the concert for people to leave so we could get to our car was worse, but at least the concert was good.
Old 10-08-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,161 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
She gawked at the crowd with this false awe shucks grin and it kind of killed my vibe for the show as it rang false...
Oh yeah, I forgot that phase. So surprised to find that people at her shows liked her. Shocked to win a Grammy . It was so disingenuous. That was super annoying Glad she has moved past that act.
Old 10-08-19, 01:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Old 10-08-19, 01:52 PM
Banned

It still feels utterly wrong to me, but maybe I’m out of touch. I grew up with Madonna. I can remember girls in my first grade classroom that loved her music. Did moms back then take their girls to Madonna concerts?
Old 10-08-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,161 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Yup, they did.

Old 10-08-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

IIRC for the Hollywood Bowl you can park further away at one of their designated spots and take the shuttle if it's going to be packed. That's how we usually avoided being double parked in the main lots (that may have changed though, it's been a few years).
Old 10-08-19, 04:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
Yup, they did.

Well it didn’t happen where I grew up.
Old 10-08-19, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Well it didn’t happen where I grew up.
And so?

Old 10-08-19, 06:05 PM
Banned

So my values were shaped by my environment. Now I’m a parent and it seems crazy. So 8 year olds were going to Madonna back in the ‘80s? Okay I guess they were. And currently there are posters here who have taken their 8 year olds to Dave Mathews recently. Twenty years ago when I was a super fan there were no 8 year olds at DMB.

There were no 8 year olds at Oingo Boingo shows either. Upon reflection Boing really wasn’t much different than this Ghost band that everyone keeps bringing up. There weren’t kids at these shows back then. I was 17 and I was probably the youngest person at that farewell show.

Are there 8 year olds at Jimmy Buffet concerts now too?

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-08-19 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Probably there are. Other than the cost for Taylor Swift, what's wrong with taking an 8-year-old to a concert? Should they not be exposed to the evils of live music at such a tender age? Will they grow up to appreciate the lively arts and thus live in poverty?
Old 10-08-19, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,188 Likes on 1,493 Posts

It all depends on the artist, the parents and the kid. If a kid likes a band and the parent has no problem taking them to that band's concert, then that's the parents' choice, who cares? Of course, a responsible parent would research the band and venue if not already familiar with them, for appropriateness and safety reasons, but I can't guarantee that happens. And this isn't a new phenomenon, my best friend saw KISS back in 1979 when he was 11 years old. I would have gone too, but didn't have the cash (my parents had zero problems with me going to the concert, they just didn't want to pay for my ticket, bastards! )

I think it's great when kids can get exposure to live music at a young age, nothing wrong with that as long as their safety needs are met (and as mentioned, this definitely includes proper hearing protection).
Old 10-08-19, 06:32 PM
Banned

It just feels like a place that’s not for children. It feels that way because that’s how it was when I was growing up.

Like we were all in Nashville last summer. There’s venues there you can take kids to and there are venues you can’t. As much as I wanted to check out Tootsie’s that was a no go zone.
Old 10-08-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Both times I've seen the Foo Fighters, I've seen people there with grade school-aged kids.

And I saw Lamb of God a while back, and after the show a couple of the guys were signing autographs in the parking lot. Someone was there with a couple of kids, who looked like they were about nine and ten. Chris Adler, their drummer, ran off and came back with signed snare heads and drumsticks for the kids.
Old 10-10-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

I have no opinion on Taylor Swift, but I am forever grateful that my parents refused to let 8-year-old me go to a Michael Jackson concert with some classmates who invited me.
Old 10-11-19, 01:45 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

My best friend has a 12-year-old son and he's been going to shows (real shows, like punk rock) since he was at least six. I remember a couple of years ago I was at a Courtney Barnett show and randomly ran into him. Last month we saw Ride together.