Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Taking an 8 year old to a Taylor Swift concert

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 11:03 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

My wife’s circle of friends hatched the idea to take all the 8 year olds to see Taylor Swift at the Hollywood Bowl. My jaw dropped. The way I was raised my parents took me to the circus. They took me to see a magician. We went and saw the Nutcracker at Christmas. Bruce Springsteen played the LA Coliseum when I was 8 years old. There was no discussion of the possibility of taking an 8 year old.

Anyway, my wife feels the same way. But it turns out we are the only ones who do. Every other mom/daughter is all in for this. Are my feelings unusual? It seems way too extravagant for a kid that young.

Also, for those that don’t know, the Hollywood Bowl is extremely hectic. I’ve seen many shows there. I might feel somewhat different if it were at Staples Center.
Old 10-06-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Taking an 8 year old to a Taylor Swift concert

We have a 12 year old, and next spring are taking her to her first "big" show (Billy Joel at Bank of America Stadium). I wouldn't have considered that at 8.
Old 10-06-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Slayer is still on their farewell tour. Just saying.
Old 10-06-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

If you and your wife are on the same page, I guess she's not going.
Old 10-06-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Eh, I took my son to his first concert when he was 10 years old (took him to see Ghost at a club) so I don't see this as being a big deal. And this is Taylor Swift, they'll probably be a shitload of eight year olds (and younger) there, I wouldn't worry.
Old 10-06-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Yea, I think this is just a changing thing. I saw my first concert at 13 in 1977. I think my Sister In Law saw hers in '95 around 11. And now it's 8-9 year old's. It's a bit young, but Taylor Swift vs Lynyrd Skynyrd & Ted Nugent could also explain the difference.
Old 10-06-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

If you feel like spending close to $100 or more for a concert ticket for an 8 year old is too expensive or extravagant, then that's your choice as a parent. But, I see nothing wrong with a girl her age seeing a Taylor Swift concert. Her primary audience is young girls anyways.
Old 10-06-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
If you feel like spending close to $100 or more for a concert ticket for an 8 year old is too expensive or extravagant, then that's your choice as a parent. But, I see nothing wrong with a girl her age seeing a Taylor Swift concert. Her primary audience is young girls anyways.
This. I took my daughter at age 9 to see Miley Cyrus/ Hannah Montana. Our seats were awful but she liked it. Even made a sign that they confiscated at the entry .
But yeah it always a big thrill for her at the time, so no problem in my book.
That said, the bad seats at Hollywood Bowl are worse than any bad seats in any venue in the US, IMO. The way that place is set us is absolutely miserable for concert viewing.
Old 10-06-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That said, the bad seats at Hollywood Bowl are worse than any bad seats in any venue in the US, IMO. The way that place is set us is absolutely miserable for concert viewing.

Holy cow! They charge money for these seats?
Old 10-06-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Imagine watching a show with a view like this. Sadly this is how I last saw Tom Petty.
Old 10-06-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Parking there is ridiculous too. I last went there in 2013 to see Lionel Richie in concert. It's $30 cash only and they stack cars. So you can literally be blocked for a long time after the show ends. I was blocked for 2 hours post show.
Old 10-06-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think my daughter was 9 when we saw Tenacious D for the first time. We will see them again in 2 weeks but she is now 16. That was also not her first concert. See had seen Rush, Dave Matthews and quite a few other shows before that. The biggest issue we had was her believing that it was the real Jack Black performing in front of her.
Old 10-06-19, 12:49 PM
Banned

And a seat like that is expensive!

Most venues at least have the decency to make the nose bleed seats a deal.

And I have no concern about the content of the show. (I have some reservations about who will be in the audience). But mostly about the message it sends. “Of course dear daughter, I’ll buy you tickets to the biggest touring act of the year at one of the most prestigious venues in the state.”

On a larger level im against this whole “take your kids to a concert” thing in general. When I grew up going to a concert was something older kids with cars did. I grew up during the birth of Lalapaloza. I saw Pennywise and Sublime in like hotel ballrooms. My first BIG show was Oingo Boingos farewell Halloween concert in ‘95. There weren’t any 11 year olds with their moms at these shows. Isn’t music supposed to be rebellious?
Old 10-06-19, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I think my daughter was 9 when we saw Tenacious D for the first time. We will see them again in 2 weeks but she is now 16. That was also not her first concert. See had seen Rush, Dave Matthews and quite a few other shows before that. The biggest issue we had was her believing that it was the real Jack Black performing in front of her.

See this is what I mean. I saw Dave Mathews several times in the ‘90s. There weren’t any 8 year olds there. That would have been weird as hell. And the environment is not what you’d want to expose 8 year olds to. I remember being offered nitrous, and of course there’s tons of smoking weed.
Old 10-06-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I took a bunch of teens to a Swift show a few years ago, and unless you’re concerned about loud noises or thousands of fans singing along to every song, you should be fine.
Old 10-06-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Slayer is still on their farewell tour. Just saying.
I'd worry less about a kid going to see Slayer (or any other metal act, for that matter) than Taylor Swift. Nothing against Tay-tay, but I suspect pop acts like her would draw a lot of creepers. Metal crowds tend to be tribalistic, and anyone trying to hurt a kid is going to his ass beaten down.

Even then, I wouldn't worry about a kid going to see Taylor Swift as long as he/she was accompanied by adults and wasn't wandering a GA floor.

The biggest concern I would have about someone young going to a concert -- Slayer or Swift -- would be that have adequate hearing protection.

Old 10-06-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife and I took our daughter to Taylor Swift last year at NRG. She was 8 at the time.
Old 10-06-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
My wife and I took our daughter to Taylor Swift last year at NRG. She was 8 at the time.
Blasphemy!!!
Old 10-07-19, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend just brought her almost five year old to Jojo Siwa, someplace in CT. The place was huge and she found it a bit overwhelming. She is waiting until she is older before she brings her to anything else.
Old 10-07-19, 09:24 AM
Banned

That’s age appropriate. Jo Jo is for like 5-10 year olds.
Old 10-07-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'd worry less about a kid going to see Slayer (or any other metal act, for that matter) than Taylor Swift. Nothing against Tay-tay, but I suspect pop acts like her would draw a lot of creepers. Metal crowds tend to be tribalistic, and anyone trying to hurt a kid is going to his ass beaten down.
Good point. I took my son to see Ghost when he was 10, the band is more or less metal (depending who you ask, but they are getting a lot poppier these days), and it was a typical metal audience, and everyone was nothing but respectful and cool to my kid. Metalheads do tend to watch out for each other, especially if there are kids.

The biggest concern I would have about someone young going to a concert -- Slayer or Swift -- would be that have adequate hearing protection.
Oh absolutely, this is the most important thing, I made sure my son had industrial strength ear plugs.

Old 10-07-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

This. I took my daughter at age 9 to see Miley Cyrus/ Hannah Montana. Our seats were awful but she liked it. Even made a sign that they confiscated at the entry .
But yeah it always a big thrill for her at the time, so no problem in my book.
If any out of touch dads are reading this and not keeping up, DO NOT take your 9 year old to a Miley Cyrus concert in the year 2019. That is all.
Old 10-07-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Good point. I took my son to see Ghost when he was 10, the band is more or less metal (depending who you ask, but they are getting a lot poppier these days), and it was a typical metal audience, and everyone was nothing but respectful and cool to my kid. Metalheads do tend to watch out for each other, especially if there are kids.
I had a similar experience taking my nearly 9 year old daughter (it was a few days before her birthday) to see Ghost. Everyone was super cool to us, and several people complimented me on my parenting, lol.

Taking her to see Ghost again next week (she's 10 and a half now).

I probably wouldn't take my kids to see TSwift though, based on ticket price alone. Wife wanted to go see her last time, but we couldn't justify the cost.

I did take two of my daughters (the same one that I took to Ghost and her twin sister) to see BabyMetal last month though.
Old 10-07-19, 11:54 AM
Banned

I just looked up Ghost and you people are nuts. What are you guys trying to do to your kids?

Last edited by Mabuse; 10-07-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

My favorite moments of Ghost concerts are the shocked mom's faces who are there with their kids and husband when Papa introduces Monstrous Clock being about the female orgasm.

Another favorite concert staple is seeing young kids dressed up as KISS at the concerts and singing along to the lyrics. Nothing like a nine year old singing along to "Love Gun".

Another vote for making sure your kid has ear protection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.