Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Vince Guaraldi - It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - soundtrack on CD

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-17-19, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

As far as I know, this is the first time that this has been available on CD.

Here's an amazon customer review:

I'm giving this 2018 release of the soundtrack to "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" three stars. It's both nice to have and a rather sharp disappointment at the same time. Knowing what I know now, I might not have pre-ordered it, and I certainly would not have wanted to pay full price for it.

Why? It's a mediocre product (at best). It's the mono music and sound effects track from the Halloween special. Apparently the original master tapes of the recording sessions have long been lost, so this was the only way to create a "soundtrack" for this special. In that sense, it is nice to have, because otherwise there would be no soundtrack available at all. On the other hand, many of the music cues are awkwardly faded in and out, obviously due to the places where scene changes and commercial breaks are in the program.

The worst thing about this album is that it's only 20 minutes long. While that's a fair amount of music for a half-hour TV special, it makes for a lousy CD or LP -- especially a full-price one. Had they combined the music from the Halloween special with the music from another special (like the Thanksgiving special), it would have made for a nice, full-length album, but this feels far too short to be considered a real album.

My advice? Either get the digital download (the mono tracks here just aren't of high-enough fidelity to make a CD or LP worth the extra expense), or just skip this altogether and enjoy the music from the TV special itself on DVD or blu-ray. This is a must-own for serious Vince Guaraldi completists only.
Sound samples at link:

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown/dp/B07G1YKQ8Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2NAF5GR6VGJIS&keywords=vince+guaraldi&qid=1568773181&s=music&sprefix=vince+gu%2Cdigital-music%2C138&sr=1-4 https://www.amazon.com/Its-Great-Pumpkin-Charlie-Brown/dp/B07G1YKQ8Z/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2NAF5GR6VGJIS&keywords=vince+guaraldi&qid=1568773181&s=music&sprefix=vince+gu%2Cdigital-music%2C138&sr=1-4

Old 09-17-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Vince Guaraldi - It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown - soundtrack on CD

I have the soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas on CD. Noticed this advertised when I was in Target but I didn't see it out any place even though it was supposedly out last Friday. Might grab it if I see it locally or eventually get it from Amazon.
Old 09-17-19, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I picked it up last year around Halloween. It'll never be iconic like the Christmas album.
Old 09-17-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Yeah, as The Cow pointed out, the CD has been out for about a year. The vinyl has just been released, however.

I would agree that it's not for everybody, given its drawbacks, but I had to have it (as I do all Guaraldi releases), and do enjoy it.
Old 09-17-19, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
I picked it up last year around Halloween. It'll never be iconic like the Christmas album.
I can’t think of any of the tracks from Great Pumpkin but the Christmas one is hands down one of my favorite albums ever.
Old 09-17-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I can’t think of any of the tracks from Great Pumpkin but the Christmas one is hands down one of my favorite albums ever.
I'm not even sure how many different versions I have of A Charlie Brown Christmas, but you would know some of the tracks from GP, particularly the best track on the album, The Great Pumpkin Waltz.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ugq7kZafpxs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by andicus; 09-18-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I forget which Facebook metalhead group it was on but someone ordering a metalcore vinyl from Amazon and this came to them instead. The consensus was that the buyer got a better album.

I'll probably purchase this at some point, love Vince Guaraldi.
Old 09-18-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

I have the vinyl copy of Christmas; I'll have to pick this up as well.