Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do awkward soundtracks bother you?

Old 08-21-19, 10:32 AM

Do awkward soundtracks bother you?

Back when IMDb was still active, I remember reading a thread stating that someone didn't dig Stir of Echoes 2, largely due to the rap soundtrack.

I can admit that a rap soundtrack is normally out of place for a horror film.
However, in this particular case, it worked well, especially since the theme-song revolves around the war in Iraq (which the entire film is about).
So, in my opinion, it is fine for a film's soundtrack to dwell out of "normality" for it's genre.
Old 08-21-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do awkward soundtracks bother you?

All the rap and hip-hop in Into the Spider-Verse made me painfully aware of how old and out of touch with current music I am, and slightly lessened my enjoyment of the film, but it was such a good film anyways it didn't drag it down.

I could see poor music bringing down an average or poor movie.

Kinda related, I found the soundtrack for Val Kilmer's The Saint many years ago and have listened to it repeatedly but I've never seen the movie or the original show.
Old 08-21-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't pay money to have to listen to rap or hip hop be it a movie, TV show or video game. I stopped buying baseball and Madden games because they used that kind of music. Not sure if you can turn it off now or not.
Old 08-21-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do movies outside of musicals have soundtracks these days?

I can't name a song that is popular that came from a movie these days.

It seems movies have less music these days and if they do they get all get shoved into the closing credits.
Old 08-21-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only Rihanna song I enjoy is Sledgehammer from the Star Trek Beyond soundtrack. Really nothing to do with Trek but I like the feel of it.
Old 08-22-19, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I posted a complaint in the Hobbes and Shaw spoiler thread. I largely loved the movie, but the music selection took me out of it every time a track was queued up.

I'm not a rap guy, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the selections in previous Fast & Furious films. The songs fit the vibe on screen and just work. The selections for FF:H&S were just bad. Maybe it has something to do with the lack of eye candy (female and supercars)? It was just an action movie with a rap soundtrack.
Old 08-22-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
I don't pay money to have to listen to rap or hip hop be it a movie, TV show or video game. I stopped buying baseball and Madden games because they used that kind of music. Not sure if you can turn it off now or not.
Not buying certain videogames because you might have to listen to a rap song is some top level old white man hilarity.
Old 08-22-19, 11:59 AM

I wouldn't buy them if they played country music either.

Last edited by stvn1974; 08-22-19 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My musical taste is completely independent of the tv shows and movies I watch and/or video games I play. As far as I'm concerned, music in shows/movies/games is completely secondary for me.

Hypothetically if I insisted on "musical purity" in my tv shows + movie viewing choices, I wouldn't be watching anything at all.
Old 08-22-19, 12:25 PM

What is with all this hippity hop in the movies and the video games these days? I hope this fad ends soon!
Old 08-22-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
What is with all this hippity hop in the movies and the video games these days? I hope this fad ends soon!
Who is the primary audience for hiphop in movies, video games, tv shows, etc .... ?

Perhaps this may be plausible if the target audience is guys under age 30 or 35. (ie. People who were teenagers after rap/hiphop became very popular in the mainstream music charts).
Old 08-22-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To ask a different question, which types of current tv shows, movies, video games, etc ... only feature the music of yesteryear and nothing recent?
Old 08-22-19, 02:18 PM

To ask a different question, which types of current tv shows, movies, video games, etc ... only feature the music of yesteryear and nothing recent?
Period pieces? I'm only guessing.
Old 08-22-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Yesterday and Blinded by the Light
Old 08-22-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know an often mentioned one is Ladyhawke, the medieval movie that has an 80s synth soundtrack produced by Alan Parsons
Old 08-22-19, 11:45 PM

I know many people love the "Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head" scene in Butch Cassidy. But it really takes me out of the movie.

A lot of good movies from the late-60's/early-70's era had bad soundtracks with poppy folk songs that seemed out of place.
Old 08-23-19, 11:03 AM

The Sting takes place in the Depression, but plays music from the turn of the century.

It would be like making a totally awesome 80s movie with neon, spandex, and big hair, and the soundtrack was all Beatles.
Old 08-23-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Mindhunter
Old 08-23-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if Iím not a fan of certain genres I rarely get too annoyed by music in movies or video games.
Old 08-23-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Changing the subject slightly. I can’t stand bad music at sports events. I stopped going to Ducks hockey games because they seem to think that what we want to hear during the pregame, time outs, and between periods is 100% nu-metal Limp Bizkit crap.

Also, baseball needs to stop letting players pick their at-bat music. Most players pick the worst shit.

Last Angels game I went to there were 3 players who all had Turn Down For What. Just stop.

I bet this summer its just 18 guys who all picked Old Town Road.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-23-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 02:55 PM

I also no longer eat at Schlotzsky's because of the awful pop music played at obnoxious volume. I do love their sandwiches but not enough to sit through that while I eat.