Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tool - Fear Inoculum - August 30, 2019 -- IT IS FINALLY HAPPENING

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Tool - Fear Inoculum - August 30, 2019 -- IT IS FINALLY HAPPENING

Old 07-15-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: New Tool Album in 2012

Jeeze, sounds even more convoluted than a Tool song.
Old 03-17-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Tool back in the studio - finally

TOOL has settled the "multi-level lawsuit" that started in 2007 when a friend of the band claimed that he had created artwork for the group and wanted credit for it. Then an insurance company that TOOL had hired for the sole purpose of defending the band against lawsuits turned around and sued the band over technicalities regarding the case. The band countersued the insurer, with the case finally being resolved in their favor after seven years.

"It got really ugly and shameful," TOOL guitarist Adam Jones told Yahoo! Music. "This is a real simplification of the matter — but imagine paying auto insurance, getting into a wreck, and expecting the insurance company to cover you. And they come back to you and say, 'Well, you drive an SUV and we don't consider that an auto so we're not going to cover you.' And then they turn around and sue you because you want them to cover you. It's crazy."

Jones also revealed that one of his bandmates was forced to deal with a medical issue, which further impeded TOOL's progress in crafting material for a new studio album,

"I'd rather let the person who dealt with the illness talk about it out of respect," Jones told Yahoo! Music. "But one thing was a really scary do-or-die, serious illness and that was really scary. When you're trying to write music and you have that eating away at you — this person you're married to and you love and hate at the same time has something they're dealing with that's out of their control — it's distracting."

According to Adam, the instrumental members of TOOL — Jones, bassist Justin Chancellor and drummer Danny Carey — have finished writing one as-yet-untitled song for the band's upcoming album, with more than 10 other tracks in various stages of completion.

"Our greatest strength is jamming and coming up with stuff," Jones said. “We're doing that really well now and I'm excited about everything we're working on. Some of it's really heavy, some of it's complex and some is more atmospheric, but it's definitely TOOL. I think having this lawsuit out of the way should really speed of the progress of getting the album done."

Although Jones hopes the next TOOL album will be finished and ready for release before the end of the year, there is no deadline by which the band has to deliver the follow-up to 2006's "10,000 Days".

"We're older guys now," he told Yahoo! Music. "Everyone kind of has their own life, and the fire that burned in us when we were in our 20s isn't there anymore. There's still a fire, it's just a different kind of fire. So of course, we're writing and working hard, but we've gotten to a point where we're relaxed and we're meeting occasionally to get the writing done instead of every day. But I feel like every day we work on the songs is a productive day and we're getting closer and closer to finishing them."
Old 03-17-15, 11:22 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Tool back in the studio - finally

Tool is one of my favourite bands of all time, but... based on Adam's comments in that article, and similar comments they've all made in the last few years... maybe they should just go their separate ways instead of trying to force an album out. I'm fine with 10,000 Days being their last official record.
Old 03-17-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts

I guess this answers why Maynard would never talk about the status of the band as well during interviews over the years.

Yeah, Maybe it's time to hang it up if things are that rough but I also don't think his "getting older" comments are anything to worry about either - if anything, it just means more focus for them.

I'm sure they won't put out a garbage album. 10,000 days wasn't the greatest but it had some excellent quality songs.
Old 03-17-15, 07:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hang it up? Did we not hear 10K days and see how it grew in stature over the past years. I mean, Rosetta Stoned...f'n masterpiece of paranoia and complexity. Have you heard Danny's drums on that track? Jambi, vicarious, 10,000 days, the pot, right in two. Do we really want this band to not put out more records? Even if they take a decade in between, who cares. Every other band that puts out an album every two years sucks and burns out. Maynard's a bit distant from his tool focus, but I've no doubt that dude still has something to say and from what I've read Justin (bassist) has been writing some truly prolific parts. I'll wait for however long it takes knowing that the next record will be great and fit snugly into the oeuvre of tool. As RiFF RAFF says "if you see somebody hating point em out..." So I'm pointing you guys out. At least let them release the record before we say they should break up and disappear. Goodness, the Internet. David12...Back to my cave!
Old 03-18-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by david12
Hang it up? Did we not hear 10K days and see how it grew in stature over the past years. I mean, Rosetta Stoned...f'n masterpiece of paranoia and complexity. Have you heard Danny's drums on that track? Jambi, vicarious, 10,000 days, the pot, right in two. Do we really want this band to not put out more records? Even if they take a decade in between, who cares. Every other band that puts out an album every two years sucks and burns out. Maynard's a bit distant from his tool focus, but I've no doubt that dude still has something to say and from what I've read Justin (bassist) has been writing some truly prolific parts. I'll wait for however long it takes knowing that the next record will be great and fit snugly into the oeuvre of tool. As RiFF RAFF says "if you see somebody hating point em out..." So I'm pointing you guys out. At least let them release the record before we say they should break up and disappear. Goodness, the Internet. David12...Back to my cave!
Easy there killer, of course we want them to put out endless albums - we were referring to the insane stuff that has happened to them - the stuff Jones mentioned was very serious so that's what the comments were related to.
Old 03-18-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't care if I have to wait a decade between albums. I'd rather be in a world where Tool was still making and releasing music.

I'm thrilled that the lawsuit is settled. Bring on album 5!!!
Old 03-18-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've waited 10 yrs, what's another.
Old 03-20-15, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Finally!!!! I'd love to hear the album by the end of 2015, but we know how fucking slow they are. Hoping for 2016 at this point.

Time to pull out 10,000 Days and give it another spin.
Old 03-20-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whenever they get around to it, great. In the meantime I've still been enjoying their best work and seeing them live whenever they play near me.

10,000 Days is a decent album, but it doesn't get nearly as much rotation as their previous works.
Old 03-20-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I saw an article a couple months ago where Maynard was saying he's been in touch with the guys and they've been delivering him the music, so he can start with the lyrics. Looking forward to it!
Old 03-20-15, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 340 Posts

Love 10,000 Days as much as the other albums. Can't wait for 20,000 Days.
Old 11-13-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From facebook news feed:

TOOL TOUR VISIONS

SOMETHING WICKED THIS... YOUR WAY COMES!

For those of you who only like NEWS about TOOL, here's something that should be of great interest. The impenetrable veil of my dark scrying mirror FINALLY CLEARED today - enough so, in fact - that I could perceive a large heptagram on a complexly lit stage where four performers were dwarfed by dramatic video projections. Evidently the sonic and visual extravaganza that I was receiving is a rare glimpse of FUTURE TOOL U.S.A. TOUR DATES in the month of JANUARY, 2016 e.v. However, with some of the images in the depths of the black glass not being clearly distinct... YET, fans will have to keep checking back (SOON) on the Tool websites and Tool facebook page for an official announcement containing a list of the SHOW DATES, CITIES and VENUES, as well as for info about a tour support act(s). Regarding an opening band(s), what I was able to discern through the ever-shifting veil will in all likeliness be exciting to many Tool enthusiasts. STAY TUNED, FOLKS... as my trusty SCRYING MIRROR CONTINUES TO CLEAR...
Old 11-13-15, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That annoyingly written article says nothing substantial. 2016 tour? Big whoop. They always play shows, every year.
Old 07-16-16, 09:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Rumor: Tool Will Release 2.5 Hour, Double-Album Decem This Fall

I really hope this is true

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/07/16...um-decem-fall/
Old 07-17-16, 03:16 AM

Re: Rumor: Tool Will Release 2.5 Hour, Double-Album Decem This Fall

I sure wish this was true. But I have a hard time believing it would be only 12 songs and run 2 and a half hours. Each fucking song is 12 to 14 minutes long. I already don't like that. But it's so Tool, though.

Whatever, I'll take whatever new music from Tool I can get.
Old 07-17-16, 06:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I sure wish this was true. But I have a hard time believing it would be only 12 songs and run 2 and a half hours. Each fucking song is 12 to 14 minutes long. I already don't like that. But it's so Tool, though.

Whatever, I'll take whatever new music from Tool I can get.
Buzz Osbourne of The Melvins recently said that no song Tool was currently working on was shorter than 12 minutes.
Old 07-17-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I like Tool but I top out at about six minutes. I can't imagine this holding my interest at 12 mins. a song over the course of an album.
Old 07-17-16, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no problem with long songs.

I'd be thrilled for some new Tool(finally).
Old 07-17-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll believe it when I can click Buy on Amazon for their new album. There is thread on here started by me in 2011 with Tool guaranteeing the album will be released in 2012.
Old 07-17-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure that reddit rumor is just as credible as the time Tool intentionally leaked fake album details before Lateralus came out.

I believe nothing until the band itself posts firm details and the first single.
Old 07-17-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 340 Posts

I expect the new Tool album to come out after the Cubs win the World Series this year. We won't ever get to hear the album because as soon as the Cubs win we will all be swallowed by the earth and burned in molten lava.
Old 07-18-16, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I like Tool but I top out at about six minutes. I can't imagine this holding my interest at 12 mins. a song over the course of an album.
I just want something similar to Aenima. Some of their more "recent" albums the songs just go on forever with instrumental stuff.
Old 07-19-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Tool is (was?) one of my favorite bands. But at this point I've just kind've accepted that they are done. Should this be real though......I'll be all over it.
Old 07-19-16, 10:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Tool is (was?) one of my favorite bands. But at this point I've just kind've accepted that they are done. Should this be real though......I'll be all over it.
That's where I'm at, too, even though they have been doing shows and tours over these years. I'll believe it when I see the album delivered to my front door, and when that happens, I'll give it a lot of my time, I'm sure.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.