Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

If Trying To Introduce Someone To A Band Which Album Would You Choose?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

If Trying To Introduce Someone To A Band Which Album Would You Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: If Trying To Introduce Someone To A Band Which Album Would You Choose?

Originally Posted by story
I've seen them twice, too, they're great live. It was at the height of Sunlandic Twins and previewing Hissing Fauna. Strangely, a song I never found to be a favorite, I Was Never Young, was my absolute favorite live. The trumpets were SO LOUD, loved it!

I mentioned them in my list because they have so many, many records and, I'm sorry if they're you're favorite, some of that later stuff like Skeletal Lamping, The Controllersphere, and even False Priest, just got really, really weird. It doesn't all work for me, but I don't think they even get to that for the sake of experimentation without doing things like Hissing Fauna and Icons Abstract Three. Start with their biggest record - Sunlandic Twins - or their best - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
I completely agree, and would include a lot of his early stuff as experimental. Kevin just seems the type to try things and stay away from normal. I really liked them before, my son loved Wraith Penned to the Mast when he was about 5 - listened to it CONSTANTLY, but when I saw them live the first time it really did it for me. I found my new favorite song by them "The Past is A Grotesque Animal" that they played as their encore.
Old 07-31-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Question : Is it ever okay to introduce somebody to a band by using their Greatest Hits album? I would say : only Bob Marley.
I think it's okay if it's someone more known for being a singles artist - Elvis, for instance.

For the Beatles, I'd go with the compilation of the singles from the mono box (or Past Masters if you're afraid mono will be a turnoff). You get a good spectrum of tracks from early to late career, and it won't be redundant if the new fan decides to get all of the albums.
Old 07-31-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think it's okay if it's someone more known for being a singles artist - Elvis, for instance.
My first thought was that going with a GH collection is a "cheat". But you make a good point. Like the Buzzcocks, for example, the best intro to their work is Singles Going Steady, their singles collection.
Old 07-31-19, 09:24 PM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
I found my new favorite song by them "The Past is A Grotesque Animal" that they played as their encore.
Nice. That song just drives and drives and doesn't let up.
Old 08-01-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Black Keys: Magic Potion

I actually prefer Rubber Factory, but I think Magic Potion would provide a better intro.

White Stripes: Elephant

Again, I actually prefer De Stijl, but hard to go wrong with the album with Seven Nation Army. It's played at every sporting event ever, so people know it even if they don't know it...