Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Are you done purchasing CDs?
Yes
21.35%
No
44.94%
Occasionally if it's something I really want a physical copy of
33.71%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 01:00 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Re: Have you officially stopped buying compact discs?

I've pretty much limited myself to buying CDs as a souvenir signed by the band. I'm surprised by the number of bands that don't put out signed CDs at the merch table. If they want to charge me full price or more, then take the 5 seconds to sign the CD. But for Meet & Greet VIPs, I'll bring in a CD to get signed and they are usually thrilled to do it. Listening wise, I'm 95% streaming, but once in a while I'll hit my USB drive in my car if I'm not feeling any of my current playlists.
Old 07-25-19, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Yes though just at goodwill when theyre on sale for under $2.
Old 07-25-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Stopped years ago. Never bought digital downloads. But at this point in life I've stopped buying music period. Didn't even buy the last few CD's from my "must buy" artists RUSH and BJORK.
Old 07-25-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I still buy physical CD's for releases from my favorite artists or a new album that really grabs me. I like to look through the booklets occasionally. Music is about more than digital files.

Still couldn't care less about vinyl. I'll take lossless digital any day.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 07-27-19 at 11:21 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I look like through the booklets occasionally.
Another advantage of vinyl, when you start getting old and your eyes go shitty, liner notes, lyrics, etc. in an LP are bigger and easier to read than CD booklets.
Old 07-25-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Several hundred CDs already purchased in 2019, so nope. More SACDs from Dutton-Vocalion were announced today with vintage quad mixes, including more Guess Who and Charlie Rich.
Old 07-25-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Haven't bought new in years, still pick them up used from time to time but only for artists that I collect (like R.E.M. and NIN).
Old 07-25-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Now basically I rip it, and then never touch it again...
Originally Posted by Nesbit
Yes though just at goodwill when theyre on sale for under $2.
I'm kind of somewhere between these two. I've recently started ripping all of my CDs to my hard drive and sticking the discs themselves into storage. I haven't bought a new release in years, but I'll load up on cheap ones, even if I'm only barely a fan of the artist. I've probably bought 20 or so CDs this year, and I don't think that I've paid over a $1 for any of them. All of them are older releases that either fill in gaps in my collection, or they're greatest hits compilations that have a song or two on them that I feel make them worth the dollar that I'm spending. Recent acquisitions: some older Journey, Foreigner, and Aerosmith albums, and greatest hits packages from acts like The Jackson 5 and Genesis.
Old 07-25-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Nope. I bought two just this week.
Flight of the Conchords and the new Rammstein.
And if I'm at a show and like the band, I will try to pick up discs I don't have yet (especially if the band signs them.)
I prefer to buy on Amazon because of Autorip, and it's added to my Amazon Music account, since you can't upload music there anymore. I do rip immediately upon receiving the disc.
I may listen to the disc just once or twice in my car but I still like to have it.
Plus, usually the disc isn't much more than the MP3 album, and sometimes it has actually been cheaper.
I stream music sometimes, but not often - usually I'm listening to SXM, my ipod or a CD in the car, or my own music collection over Alexa at home.
Old 07-25-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

No if they are some remasters or new albums from artists I like then I will buy the CD

Don't judge but I will buy the new T Swift album next month and they might be the only album purchase for the remainder of 2019 unless U2 or Coldplay come out with new albums or there is a new Prince remastered album.
Old 07-26-19, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm pretty much done. Saint Etienne still releases limited edition singles\EPs on CDs that almost never show up on streaming services, and only rarely show up on digital music sites (for purchase, like iTunes or Amazon MP3). I pick those up from time to time.

Marsheaux's Inhale got a release on a US label, and it included two remixes I've never seen anywhere else. I chose to buy it from an Amazon seller 29 miles away, thinking it would arrive in a day or two. Nope: they used DHL SmartMail, or whatever their "post office does the last mile" service is called. It was picked up from the seller's office, sat at Charlotte-Douglas Airport for two days before being flown to Hartsfield-Jackson, where it sat for 3 days before being shipped back to Charlotte-Douglas where it sat for another day before being shipped to my local post office for delivery. It took, like, 11 days to ship a CD less than 30 miles. AND the jewel case was smashed when it got here. This is why I juts don't bother any more.
Old 07-26-19, 07:18 AM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I just want to say I'm happy how much Pearl Jam talk ended up in this thread.
Old 07-26-19, 08:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Yup. I stopped. The only CD I would buy is if a new Enigma album is released which to me is also a collectible. I own everything of Enigma music.
Sounds like we do the exact same thing. I have all of the Enigma albums, and still buy stuff that either you can't find in the US, or has a special mix like Atmos or 5.1. I have more imports than US at this point, mostly because the releases in Europe and Asia have extra tracks we can't get from downloading on iTunes, etc.. Also, my tastes over the past 10-15 years have been from bands that are based in other parts of the world that don't get enough US exposure, so they don't focus here when stuff is released.
Old 07-26-19, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm pretty certain I haven't purchased a physical music disc in over a decade.
Old 07-26-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Is this the original version on Mechanix Records?
Yes.
Old 07-26-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Hell, I just ordered three CDs yesterday, two from a store in the Netherlands as that was the only place I could find them.
Old 07-27-19, 10:11 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Don't judge but I will buy the new T Swift album next month and they might be the only album purchase for the remainder of 2019 unless U2 or Coldplay come out with new albums ...
Coldplay seems to be another band that likes to crank out live albums (or dvd/bluray) for every tour, similar to Iron Maiden and Pearl Jam.

As time goes on after 2010, Coldplay's live recordings seem like they become more and more uninspiring as if Martin is just "going through the motions" on stage. (This is in contrast to the eminently listenable 2003 live album).

I more or less stopped regularly buying their studios albums after Viva la Vida. (I didn't even bother picking up Prospekt's March).
Old 07-27-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
I prefer to buy on Amazon because of Autorip, and it's added to my Amazon Music account, since you can't upload music there anymore. I do rip immediately upon receiving the disc.
[...]
Plus, usually the disc isn't much more than the MP3 album, and sometimes it has actually been cheaper.
Yeah, Amazon has lead me many times to buy the CD instead of just the digital version because either the CD was only a couple of bucks more or, sometimes, the CD was a couple of bucks less than the digital download version. And with CDs that include Autorip, I'm getting the album automatically in my Amazon Music streamable account, so I get the album both on physical media and also have it for instant streaming. A Win-Win.
Old 07-27-19, 07:25 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I still buy them, collect them and still burn CDs...
Old 07-27-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Sounds like we do the exact same thing. I have all of the Enigma albums, and still buy stuff that either you can't find in the US, or has a special mix like Atmos or 5.1. I have more imports than US at this point, mostly because the releases in Europe and Asia have extra tracks we can't get from downloading on iTunes, etc.. Also, my tastes over the past 10-15 years have been from bands that are based in other parts of the world that don't get enough US exposure, so they don't focus here when stuff is released.
Now how cool is that, a dedicated Enigma fan just like I. I have a few imports and a few rare gems. I got most of my collection through ebay and enigmamusic forum back in the day when it was active. A few international friends there helped build my Enigma singles collection.

One day I have to pull them out from my black box and rip them all to my phone and devices so I can enjoy them. It's been awhile.
Old 07-27-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I love Enigma and have all their CD albums but you guys put me to shame!
Old 07-28-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I love Enigma and have all their CD albums but you guys put me to shame!
Oh snap another music lover with great taste!

Old 07-28-19, 02:29 PM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I have a few imports and a few rare gems. I got most of my collection through ebay and enigmamusic forum back in the day when it was active. A few international friends there helped build my Enigma singles collection.
(On a more general tangent).

By the time audio cds became ubiquitous in the early 1990s, I largely gave up on the completionist collecting treadmill of singles and other rare releases.

Before that back in the day, I use to be on the completionist collecting treadmill when it came to 12" vinyl singles from bands like Iron Maiden. In those days, I largely went through import bins searching for Iron Maiden 12" vinyl singles which had the Eddie artwork covers by Derek Riggs. (In contrast, the 7" vinyl versions typically only had a generic Capitol/EMI plastic sleeve).

What was really annoying many years later, was when such bands released all (or almost all) the B-sides of their 12" / 7" vinyl singles onto a cd re-release compilation set.
Old 07-28-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

One thing is when I do buy CDs these days, it tends to be rare recordings. For example, my most recent CD purchases have been "The Cramps Vault" (Google it if you don't know about it) and for rare Rockabilly music, all of which is basically stuff that's hard to find anywhere. Take that away and, aside from occasionally upgrading my existing collection with new remasters, I seldom ever buy CDs anymore.
Old 07-28-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
(On a more general tangent).
Before that back in the day, I use to be on the completionist collecting treadmill when it came to 12" vinyl singles from bands like Iron Maiden. In those days, I largely went through import bins searching for Iron Maiden 12" vinyl singles which had the Eddie artwork covers by Derek Riggs. (In contrast, the 7" vinyl versions typically only had a generic Capitol/EMI plastic sleeve).

What was really annoying many years later, was when such bands released all (or almost all) the B-sides of their 12" / 7" vinyl singles onto a cd re-release compilation set.

I'm sure there were great memories when back in the day you was hunting for those titles. I know I had a good time hunting for gems. Traveling to places, looking around etc

I haven't done much searching online to see if some of the stuff I own is available. I'm probably sure it is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.